The 2 Obi ANH sabers - which is onscreen, when?

Re: The Two Obi ANH sabers--which one is onscreen when?

If the groove continued upward it would most likely look more like my crude fake on the right here (sorry all I have at work is MS Paint).

fakebu3.jpg

There's a reasonable likelihood that the thing that looks like a continuation of the groove is just some kind of weird optical illusion resulting probably from a pattern of damage on the grenade.

lonepigeon--A different grenade seems strong enough additional evidence to me, also as I recall there are some anomalies on the booster, now what were those...

I certainly think it's possible there are two props. I was the one that pointed out that they certainly had multiples of all the pieces.
I just think we have very little evidence - only one blurry Tunisia pic.
Looking at Chronicles it's pretty obvious there was a ring around both washers at one time and the construction of the saber in both pics is so different that most differences could be explained by it being rebuilt.

BTW - the Bapty grenade (lying on the table) is actually in very nice shape it just has a mottled finish that makes it look worse in pics.

Not sure this helps but here are some screen shots from different scenes.

Cantina
cantina2.jpg

Cantina
cantina.jpg

Falcon
falcon2jpg.jpg

Forcefield (looks like endcap is missing)
shield.jpg

Hall
hall.jpg

Death
death.jpg

FB

lonepigeon--are there features on the Bapty grenade, such as the mottled finish, which you can associate with the Tunisia saber but not the Chronicles saber?

I take your point, I usually stay pretty cautious on this stuff so I empathize with what you're saying.

FB--nice screen caps! I think they sort of blur the question a bit, since the bare upper stem is associated with the Chronicles saber, but the missing cap (seemingly the case in the Cantina shots) is associated with the Tunisia saber. Yet the upper stem on the Cantina version seems as large as on the Tunisia saber too. :confused

lonepigeon--are there features on the Bapty grenade, such as the mottled finish, which you can associate with the Tunisia saber but not the Chronicles saber?

The Bapty grenade is definitely not the one on Chronicles saber (frag body ridges differ in width, plus there are notches on the Bapty grenade). The one pic of the Tunisia saber just isn't clear enough to see if these details are there.

Here's the caps taken by Defstar trooper. I would have posted this in the other thread but should keep the data in one place:

screencaps.jpg

The clamp looks like the beat up one in the Chronicles photo but the grenade looks like the one in the Tunisia photo.

The windvane is a lot higher on this one than in the Tunisia pic though.

Don't have a clue what that means but...

FB

I think it's time we had a look at another odd feature that sometimes appears. I hadn't mentioned it before because it can be argued that it's a resolution artifact, but now I think we have to contend with it:

defstartrooper kindly provided some new HD screen caps, and Franz Bolo lightened them up a bit:

obihddscorrqr7.jpg

Any of you notice anything interesting about the grenade in the above caps? ;)

Ah, FB beat me to it!

The clamp looks like the beat up one in the Chronicles photo but the grenade looks like the one in the Tunisia photo.

If the clamp can be identified as the same, then will be strong evidence for lonepigeon's theory of a single rebuilt prop.

Last edited:

It does really look like the Chronicles clamp.
- damage above the horizontal slot
- chips in the bottom left corner of the lower squarish hole.

I don't see anything that makes it look like the Tunisia grenade though.
The upper neck looks like it might be clean like the Chronicles grenade.

I don't see anything that makes it look like the Tunisia grenade though.
The upper neck looks like it might be clean like the Chronicles grenade.

On the 3rd photos from the right, the top of the grenade does look like the chronicles one! Hmmm. Didn't see that at first. To me, the 2 photos on the right make it look beat up like the Tunisia one.

To me the ridges on the frag body also look beat up and not as clean or pronounced as the Chronicles one but that could be because of lighting, blur etc.

The stem and windvane look like the Chronicles one also.

FB

I got a few more caps from defstartrooper.

This one is odd. It's from the cantina scene.

It has a different circuit board (like the shared stunt) and what looks like only 1 transistor (but on the wrong side). The pommel looks like it is missing the end cap.

cantina_a.jpg

FB

It has a different circuit board (like the shared stunt) and what looks like only 1 transistor (but on the wrong side). The pommel looks like it is missing the end cap.

FB

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. I think what you are seeing is the result of a light source being reflected back at the camera through the calculator bubbles.

EDIT: nevermind back to normal

Last edited:

I see your point about the upper stem appearing clean, stronger highlight there than on the lower stem in this shot:

obihdsidebi2.jpg

So as I was saying, anyone notice anything unusual about the grenade? :)

obihdvaneuz2.jpg

Weird lighting on the bubbles (7 'strips') and the 'transistor' is a clamp lever shadow I think. Clean stem--as you can see in other caps from this scene.

But for a minute there you had me :eek :lol

I got a few more caps from defstartrooper.

cantina_a.jpg

FB

Last edited:

Weird lighting on the bubbles (7 'strips') and the 'transistor' is a clamp lever shadow I think. Clean stem--as you can see in other caps from this scene.

Yeah, glad there are several eyes here! I'm posting things I see at first glance. The clamp looked too far out though so I wasn't sure what it was.

The strip really threw me though!!

Here's another image:
transistor.jpg

FB

Last edited:

It sometimes looks to me like the 'hub' of the vane blades is larger than normal, as if there is something covering part of the blades. But I'm starting to lean back to it being a resolution artifact. :angel

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back