Superman: Man of Steel Costume *Final Steel Concept Page 7*

Re: Superman: Man of Steel Costume

Wow, I never knew they were making a movie like this.... I'll let the movie theater rape me for my $10.00 to see this in the future.

I don't mind the latex flair that much. The issue I have with the design is the 'grungy' looking white/red chest emblem. I'm fine with adding suit texture, but that yellow/gray area of the emblem should be WHITE. I think it just makes the thing look old and worn -- which doesn't really match with Superman's squeaky clean image.

How is it that the brilliant Kryptonians invented an indestructible baby blanket fabric, but forgot to make it self-cleaning?

If they can't get the costume right, something terribly basic about the character, the trust level drops about the whole thing.

Personally, I like the suit a lot. And I'm glad they had the courage to ditch the red speedo. I know it's an "iconic" part of the costume, and I'm a die-hard Superman fan, who read the comics all my life...that being said, I've always thought the red undies looked silly. They were a product of their time - Superman's look was fashioned after a circus strong man, but nowadays, it just doesn't work. Superman and Batman seemed to be the only holdouts on the "underwear on the outside" look. Thankfully, that appears to be changing.

In all honesty, that costume looks terrible. Like someone mentioned it looks like they designed it after Spiderman (and did a poor job).

I've always been a huge fan of John Byrne's work and his The Man Of Steel reboot mini-series is the definitive Supes origin in my book. I know it's just one of many origin stories, but I've always been partial to it. In the mini-series, Clark's costume is created and designed by Martha, and Clark and Jonathan Kent designed the S shield themselves (no reference to it being the symbol for the house of El family). The suit was made out of ordinary materials, but Martha explains that, when Clark was a kid, she noticed that clothing right next to his body never seemed to get damaged or dirty. It was explained that Superman's body had an aura around it that protected the skin-tight clothing, rather than the clothing itself being indestructible. I like that explanation better than indestructible baby blankets. This is why you sometimes see Superman's cape being tattered and torn, but his skin-tight costume mostly intact. Of course, this is all the post-Crisis storyline Superman...

That being said, I've never been a fan of the red undies and yellow belt. So seeing a new, streamlined look is refreshing. I also appreciate this new costume because it really shows a clean break from the previous film incarnations. This is not George Reeves or Christopher Reeve or Dean Cain or any other actor's Superman. This is not a continuation storyline like Singer's Returns was. This is a clean break from the past and I think this new costume really shows that. Again, not a big fan of some of the extra superfluous latex on the sides, but it adds some drama to what could have been a bland costume. Still, if they were going to put anything on the costume, it would have been nice to see some Kryptonian lettering down the side like we see in some of the modern costumes, like the Eradicator. Clean up the S shield, lighten the blue a tiny bit, and then have dark Kryptonian lettering down the side. That would look okay in my book.

Eradicator.jpg

So I know that this is based of Superman Godfall, but I wanna
make this the suit for the premier. But morph it into Steel
somehow? What u guys think?

mosgodfall.png

I still think people miss the point of what a Superman suit really is. He is an alien from another planet, why would his clothing look like something that was made on Earth? Belt? You think a civilization lightyears ahead of Earth would learn to keep their pants up without a belt, right? :) I think If Nolan,Goyer and Snyder are going for a more realistic ( and I am using realistic term loosely), they would take into consideration what would another race from an other galaxy wear for clothing if they had physical characteristics of humans on Earth. Thats what I always thought of for Superman. a $25 suit from K-Mart is not what i think of for a real approach to a Superman suit.

Now if you dont like the design, thats one thing, but the suit actually does make sense IMO. AND I LOVE THE NEW SUIT!! I think its great for doing something completely new for Superman. Reeves, Reeves, and Routh did the classic suit, and did them beautifully, its time for something new, just like Burton and Nolan did with Batman. BUT, to me this movie will be about the story and the acting, the suit really doesnt matter. If the story is wonderful and the acting is great, the suit really doesnt matter IMO. :)

I hope someone makes a replica of this suit. Or maybe they will release an officially licensed version thats screen accurate :)

It's like you read my mind man! Thats pretty much exactly what I thought about the new suit. Good job sir and I also really like the new suit to me it fits perfectly.

It's like you read my mind man! Thats pretty much exactly what I thought about the new suit. Good job sir and I also really like the new suit to me it fits perfectly.

cool man, actually really been doing some research on the origins of his suit. The very original 1940s origin he made it himself out of his own materials. Then in the 1950s it changed to Martha making it with the fabric he came with in the ship when he was sent to earth. And then there are stories that came later they both made it together. And then in 1978 Donners story is that he made it at the Fortress of Solitude during all those years he was learning the secrets of the universe from his Fathers hologram.

None the less, the fabric was always Kryptonian. So it should look like it came from another planet, not earth. How Snyder & Nolan will introduce it, we have to wait and see :)

I like this new suit. It's more what he does in the suit, than how it looks that's important, right ;) I'm glad that they changed it from the oldr movies. They were awesome, but to seperate it from that old universe, the quicket way is to change the look of the suit. I was expecting them to make it follow the new DC reboot more tbh. Im surprised he doesn't have a red belt on!

I'm just happy they let him have some muscles this time.

I like the suit. I know of almost no superhero film where the suit was liked by fans during production. It isn't until after the movie becomes a hit that the suits are typically enjoyed, with perhaps the exception of X-Men. People complained that the Begins suit was too puffy, that the Dark Knight suit made his head look like a lightbulb, etc. I, for one, will hold my judgment for the film because I want to enjoy it and because fan opinion shifts like the wind anyway.

I'm gonna share the thoughts I posted on my Facebook page earlier today...

First Hollywood redesigns Green Lantern's uniform, taking away his signature white gloves. Then, they redesigned Spider-Man's threads for the upcoming movie, making him look like he stepped out of the much-hated "Clone Saga". And now they've redesigned Superman's time-tested classic of a costume to look like something out of the "Totally XTREME!!!!" 1990s era. Not a good move at all. :thumbsdown

We finally get an actor that LOOKS like Superman, and they stick him in that. Ugh. Bottom line, the costume no longer looks like something his (adoptive) mother sewed for him here on Earth. Now the only explanation that works is that they're Kryptonian threads that he somehow managed to come by that were miraculously tailored just for him... when he was an infant! :rolleyes

Superman's costume is a classic for A REASON. It was the very FIRST superhero costume. It is THE standard by which all others are judged! It still works roughly 75 years after the character's creation because it has a certain something going for it... it is what people call a TIMELESS look. It ALWAYS looks good. Superman's creators did good when they designed that costume. Sure, each artist working on the comic is going to draw it a little different, but they've always followed the same basic design.

Take Shane Davis, when working on the graphic novel Superman: Earth One (which was written by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski.) Here you have a new re-telling of Superman's origin, an updating of the character and his world. Shane Davis could have re-designed the costume any way he wanted to modernize it. And what did he, ultimately, setlle on? This:

SupermanEarthOne2.jpg

SupermanEarthOne1.jpg

He just tweaked it a little, that's all. Made the blue parts of the costume two-tone, darker on the sides, lighter down the middle. Tweaked the design of the briefs, belt and boots a little. And that's it. And that's all that should EVER be done to this costume.

Unfortunately, Hollywood thinks they know how to design a costume better than the character's creators. So we end up with a Superman that looks like he's wearing the Witchblade. Utter nonsense.

First Hollywood redesigns Green Lantern's uniform, taking away his signature white gloves. Then, they redesigned Spider-Man's threads for the upcoming movie, making him look like he stepped out of the much-hated "Clone Saga". And now they've redesigned Superman's time-tested classic of a costume to look like something out of the "Totally XTREME!!!!" 1990s era. Not a good move at all. :thumbsdown

We finally get an actor that LOOKS like Superman, and they stick him in that. Ugh. Bottom line, the costume no longer looks like something his (adoptive) mother sewed for him here on Earth. Now the only explanation that works is that they're Kryptonian threads that he somehow managed to come by that were miraculously tailored just for him... when he was an infant! :rolleyes

Superman's costume is a classic for A REASON. It was the very FIRST superhero costume. It is THE standard by which all others are judged! It still works roughly 75 years after the character's creation because it has a certain something going for it... it is what people call a TIMELESS look. It ALWAYS looks good. Superman's creators did good when they designed that costume. Sure, each artist working on the comic is going to draw it a little different, but they've always followed the same basic design.

Take Shane Davis, when working on the graphic novel Superman: Earth One (which was written by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski.) Here you have a new re-telling of Superman's origin, an updating of the character and his world. Shane Davis could have re-designed the costume any way he wanted to modernize it. And what did he, ultimately, setlle on? This:

SupermanEarthOne2.jpg

SupermanEarthOne1.jpg

He just tweaked it a little, that's all. Made the blue parts of the costume two-tone, darker on the sides, lighter down the middle. Tweaked the design of the briefs, belt and boots a little. And that's it. And that's all that should EVER be done to this costume.

Unfortunately, Hollywood thinks they know how to design a costume better than the character's creators. So we end up with a Superman that looks like he's wearing the Witchblade. Utter nonsense.

I think that would have been a nice looking movie suit...modern/classic..all in one..plus I also like the yellow S on the cape...:thumbsup Also anyway to photoshop some of the actual images from the movie to give it a classi look to see what it would look like..maye a tad lighter blue as well.

Technically, as i wrote before, the suit was not always made by Martha Kent. The first explanation came in the 1940s that he actually made it himself that he created his own indestructible materials. Then in the 1950s Martha made it from the Kryptonian blanket and fabrics that came from the ship he was sent to earth in. Then later on Martha and Clark made it together. And the boots were made from other fabrics found on that ship he was in as a infant. Then in 1978 Donner's myth is that he put it together during the many years being in the Fortress of Solitude and learning the secrets of the Universe and used the fabrics again he had when he was on the ship to earth.

But in every instance the fabrics were always Kryptonian.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back