Superman: Man of Steel Costume *Final Steel Concept Page 7*

Re: Superman: Man of Steel Costume

Some more pics. He looks like a decent Supes in the second photo to me

superma.jpg

What's with the guy in the first pic with the black and white dots all over? Is that some kind of motion-capture suit for CGI? I haven't seen one like that before.

Somehow, the first pic looks photoshop enhanced.
Also, he looks like Johnny Knoxville!

pjlDD.jpg

place_ab769369_00046833503_00_600.jpg

was it so hard to add the red briefs to the costume?

*sigh* I actually like everything else. It doesn't bother me.

just the briefs...c'mon

I have a headache now...

Last edited:

Superman goin commando? Needs more red, and how come every new incarnation gets a darker blue everytime? And also, i like the symbol on the cape, if we ever get one back on there. Oh ok, no undies equals no need for a belt. But still it needs both on there!

I still think people miss the point of what a Superman suit really is. He is an alien from another planet, why would his clothing look like something that was made on Earth? Belt? You think a civilization lightyears ahead of Earth would learn to keep their pants up without a belt, right? :) I think If Nolan,Goyer and Snyder are going for a more realistic ( and I am using realistic term loosely), they would take into consideration what would another race from an other galaxy wear for clothing if they had physical characteristics of humans on Earth. Thats what I always thought of for Superman. a $25 suit from K-Mart is not what i think of for a real approach to a Superman suit.

Now if you dont like the design, thats one thing, but the suit actually does make sense IMO. AND I LOVE THE NEW SUIT!! I think its great for doing something completely new for Superman. Reeves, Reeves, and Routh did the classic suit, and did them beautifully, its time for something new, just like Burton and Nolan did with Batman. BUT, to me this movie will be about the story and the acting, the suit really doesnt matter. If the story is wonderful and the acting is great, the suit really doesnt matter IMO. :)

I hope someone makes a replica of this suit. Or maybe they will release an officially licensed version thats screen accurate :)

I still think people miss the point of what a Superman suit really is. He is an alien from another planet, why would his clothing look like something that was made on Earth? Belt? You think a civilization lightyears ahead of Earth would learn to keep their pants up without a belt, right? :) I think If Nolan,Goyer and Snyder are going for a more realistic ( and I am using realistic term loosely), they would take into consideration what would another race from an other galaxy wear for clothing if they had physical characteristics of humans on Earth. Thats what I always thought of for Superman. a $25 suit from K-Mart is not what i think of for a real approach to a Superman suit.

All fine and good but he was raised on here, suit was made here. He didn't ship out with a full suit packed for when he was old enough. :lol

All fine and good but he was raised on here, suit was made here. He didn't ship out with a full suit packed for when he was old enough. :lol

Hey Finhead, good to see you. Time to nerd out here :)
Right, but wasnt the suit made at his fortress, which would have Kryptonian technology? Thats what i always figured. Now granted I havent read enough Superman comics to know the full origin of the suit, so you could be right. But I always thought it was made at his fortress.

UPDATE: Ahh Googling is fun, it seems his suit was supposedly made from the fabric he was born in and sent with him from Krypton and made by the Kents & Clark using his powers when he was just starting out in some instanes. Others have it being made in his Fortress. But none the less, the material is suppoed to be Kryptonian.

Last edited:

Hey Finhead, good to see you. Time to nerd out here :)
Right, but wasnt the suit made at his fortress, which would have Kryptonian technology? Thats what i always figured. Now granted I havent read enough Superman comics to know the full origin of the suit, so you could be right. But I always thought it was made at his fortress.

I always thought his mother made him the suit with the fabric he was wrapped in when he arrived.

I always thought his mother made him the suit with the fabric he was wrapped in when he arrived.

I just looked it up, the fabric is supposed to be Kryptonian, in some back stories, the Kents made it with Clark. and other instances it comes from the Fortress of Solitude.

None the less, the S still is not an S. Its the symbol for the House of El.

and the fabric is supposed to be Kryptonian :)

We have a winner. Always been the way the story went as far I knew. ;)

thats one of the back stories. According to some of the comic books, the Kents made Superman’s indestructible tights out of the indestructible blanket (Superman cut it with his heat vision) he had when his capsule crashed into Earth.

So the fabric is Kryptonian. Not from Earth.

ah ha!! found more info. in the 1940s Comics, Superman describes his suit as "constructed of a cloth I invented myself which is immune to the most powerful forces"

in the 1950s, it changed and it was fashioned by Martha Kent from the colored blankets they found him in as an infant. in Superman #112, the text reads "Indestructible as time itself, Superman's costume woven of a strange cloth from his native planet, Krypton, has aided him in unique ways, man times in the past."

in Superman #146, it reads "Martha Kent was moved to fashion a super-playsuit for the infant Superman because the child was constantly destroying his store-bought clothes by engaging in various forms of super-powered play. Fortunately, the Kents had had the foresight to save the three blankets - one red, one blue, and one yellow - in which the infant Superman had been swathed when he arrived on Earth in his rocket. Because the blanket material was indestructible and therefore could not be cut by any scissors, the Kents unraveled some loose ends and then coaxed their super-powered infant into using the heat of his X-ray vision to cut the unraveled thread so that Martha Kent could use it to sew the Kryptonian blankets into a super-playsuit. Years later, Martha Kent unraveled the playsuit and rewove the thread into Superman's now-famous costume. According to one of the stories in Superman Annual #8 (1963), the young Superman used "strips of rubber padding" salvaged from the wreckage of his rocket to fashion a pair of bright red boots, while a yellow strap, also salvaged from the rocket, became his belt.

found all this here:

superman.nu: Superman's Costume

Maybe they'll explain it in the movie. And it will have nothing to do with any comic continuity whatsoever. Hollywood wouldn't do that, would they? :lol

yay, so I was correct. :p

Yes the fabric in all instances came from Krypton in the ship he was sent to earth in as an infant.

But who made it changes. Originally Superman made it, then later on Martha Kent made it, and then in some instances they made it together.

But the origin of the S has always been its a hieroglyphic symbol for House of El. It was cut out of the fabric and then placed to his chest for the suit.
:)

^ LOL oh god I just had an image of Superman doing a number 2 on the toilet.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back