MacReady Final Battle Cosplay Costume (The Thing)

The costume looks great! I love how the snow effects turned out! I saw that you’ll be wearing yours to ECCC later next year, we will have to grab a picture together I just debuted my MacReady costume at Rose City Comic Con last weekend! Only a couple people recognized me too haha.

The costume looks great! I love how the snow effects turned out! I saw that you’ll be wearing yours to ECCC later next year, we will have to grab a picture together I just debuted my MacReady costume at Rose City Comic Con last weekend! Only a couple people recognized me too haha.
Thanks Forcebewitya! You're going to be at ECCC too!?! That would be AWESOME to meet up for a few pictures together! Lets make it happen! Do you have pics of your costume at Rose City CC?

Thanks Forcebewitya! You're going to be at ECCC too!?! That would be AWESOME to meet up for a few pictures together! Lets make it happen! Do you have pics of your costume at Rose City CC?
Yeah! Here are some pics I took there. That would be fun! I didnt see any fellow MacReadys but talked to a few guys who wanted to make one. Ignore the green gun, I wasnt sure how strict they’d be. I probably could have been fine with a regular painted one but it had been awhile since I had been at a con and didnt want the hassle.

Attachments

• IMG_7521.jpeg
    IMG_7521.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7447.jpeg
    IMG_7447.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7542.jpeg
    IMG_7542.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7544.jpeg
    IMG_7544.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
Sure! I work in a theatre and in the past few years got really into millinery and hat making so I actually started making MacReady hats and selling them on Etsy before I finished the cosplay. I’ve sold 9 and made 10 total including this one for myself. It was a long labor of love trying to find the right color felt hood, all the various leathers and then the mysterious hat band. For that I ended up using paracord which despite not being totally accurate I think visually looks close to the screen grabs I took from the film. But yeah if you ever want one PM me on here and I can give you a better deal than Etsy (they take so many fees) I’m considering doing a run on here soon if theres any interest.

Made a new set of MacReady boots for my upcoming cosplay at FAN EXPO Vancouver and Emerald City Comic Con. My previous pair were a 1/2 size too small, so after 7 hours of walking around in costume, I started to get a blister on my big toe. The paint job I did started flaking off due to thr flex of thr leather and I didn't prep it properly. So I found a gently used pair in my size and did better prep and used mainly white silicone caulking as it adheres well and is flexible when dry. Airbrushed some white and light blue mainly on thr side fabric where the paint won't flake off. Should be good to go!
Yes I know these are not Vietnam era jungle boots. I don't think I'd have the heart to ruin a pair like this if they were. Not screen accurate but function and comfort (and price) over accuracy when it comes to some cosplay - have to find the happy medium.
boots1.jpg

boots2.jpg

boots3.jpg

MAKEUP UPDATES - FAN EXPO VANCOUVER - February 2024

I made some adjustments to applying my MacReady makeup and was my first time using the Clear Ultra Ice Gel. The gel is super easy to apply and locked everything in all day!! It provided protection and a barrier to keep all the Snow Paste in place. The gel stayed moist for quite a few hours and then firmed up but never wen hard or crusty. Love how the look turned out.

ultra ice.jpg
snowpaste.jpg

I also added a white face cream and blended that into the light foundation for even a more pale complexation.

20240217_085924.jpg

20240217_085927.jpg

20240217_085603.jpg

20240217_143222_HDR.jpg

MEETING ADAM SAVAGE @ FAN EXPO VANCOUVER - February 2024

Traveled to Fan Expo Vancouver and got to meet with Adam Savage! Adam inspired my MacReady cosplay with one he made and wore a few years back at San Diego Comic Con. We shared a "MacReady moment" of mutual appreciation and he was genuinely impressed and asked his assistant to take a picture on his phone - so Dave is on Adams phone!! (yeah I'm fan boying big time). My pic with him even made it onto Adam's Instagram post! He such a genuine, easy to talk to guy.

We were able to share a quick chat about costume and prop building. Adam really liked my scratch built LED Road Flare prop and I got him to sign it. He's such a great inspiration and ambassador to the Con and maker communities.

So happy with how this cosplay came together and the little adjustments I've made to it since September 2023. Next up is Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle in 2 weeks!! Might be the last time I suit up as MacReady.....

20240217_104027_HDR~2.jpg

428601143_10159510803601050_7602403866736452315_n.jpg

20240217_155856_HDR.jpg

20240217_143133_HDR.jpg

20240217_143204_HDR.jpg

20240217_143159_HDR.jpg

Dude this costume was so epic. I got to see it in Vancouver last weekend. I love that you documented the whole process. Your daughter should be proud.

Attachments

• IMG_6172.jpeg
    IMG_6172.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 22
Dude this costume was so epic. I got to see it in Vancouver last weekend. I love that you documented the whole process. Your daughter should be proud.
Thanks Adam!! It was so fun meeting you and thanks for the MacReady inspiration! My daughter very much has sent us down the rabbit hole that is cosplay and Cons and I couldn't be happier. The time we get to spend together with all this is magical.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back