Sucker Punch costume thread

Great eye Skruffy! This was a commissioned piece and since the client is a righty, she requested the holster be placed on her left side. Thanks for the input! ♥

optinerd, I think the skirt and top look great! However, it looks like you have a right-handed holster in your pics and Babydoll uses a left-handed holster. The holster should sit under the right armpit and the double mag pouch should be under the left armpit. Just trying to be helpful :).

sucker-punch-babydoll.jpg

Hey guys, long time. I'0ve seen many nice costumes since my last post. Congratz to everyone :)

I've been pretty bussy with my finals, but since I have two weeks to finish my re-done costume I have to finish the katana, like now. First I sanded my old saya down, put a coat of primer and painted it with a shiny toasted brown. And today I painted my first 5 snowflakes. I think they are adorable lol. Also painted the handle of the katana black ... I'm waiting for the menukis ( the gold handle ornaments ) to arrive so I can do the handle wrap with leather. Hope they arrive !! :(
Here's a photo:
263822_2175074340671_1361205779_2639960_4898376_n.jpg

I'm with Isabeauthered - I saw one screengrab where the lacing goes all the way up - but I'm suprised there's no yoke. I designed the hood to have a small flap that tucks under the lacing - but I think I'm going to attach a strip of strapping across the top, to add stability and to have something to attach the hood to. Anyone have good shots of the back of Sweet Pea's coat, with the hood up?

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if it's even worth it to do the lacing higher than my waist. You can't really see it with the shotgun/sword rig on the back.

Hey guys, long time. I'0ve seen many nice costumes since my last post. Congratz to everyone :)

I've been pretty bussy with my finals, but since I have two weeks to finish my re-done costume I have to finish the katana, like now. First I sanded my old saya down, put a coat of primer and painted it with a shiny toasted brown. And today I painted my first 5 snowflakes. I think they are adorable lol. Also painted the handle of the katana black ... I'm waiting for the menukis ( the gold handle ornaments ) to arrive so I can do the handle wrap with leather. Hope they arrive !! :(
Here's a photo:
263822_2175074340671_1361205779_2639960_4898376_n.jpg

Wow, it is amazing:D Its homemade or you buy it??

Hello,

Long time lurker here. I didn't want to come in empty handed so I forbade myself from posting here till i finished my costume.

Me and my friends were able to complete the 5 girls, Madam Gorski and the Bunny mech. We do have a suitable Blue, Wiseman, Chef, and Mayor but they all refused to cosplay. I did Amber, but since we keep tabs on each other's progress I can give tips for the other girls as well, or ask my friends to post here.

For now, I would like to share my experience on making Amber's skimpy flight suit. :lol

Material - I started very very early, so I bought 2 batches of wrong fabric. After watching the film I finally settled for military fabric(?) in olive green. I don't know the exact name of the fabric, but it's the one used for military field uniforms, very stiff when brand new but it softens over use. The reason I chose this is because when I looked at the costume pictures from hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.blogspot.com , the fabric looked "heavy/thick" for me and all the stretchy fabrics available in my area does not have that appearance.

Execution - I used a pattern similar to a sleeveless "cheong-sam" because I do not know how to draft a collar. I just (heavily) modified it, then drafted the sleeves on my own. For chaps/pants, i used a typical pants pattern. I made a muslin mock up of the entire costume then made the adjustments then I used that muslin as the pattern, so I was able to achieve that skin-tight fit that the costume called for. :)
---------------
For the other details:

I used flat cotton cord/lace for the part where the drawstring go through (i hope that made sense), I wanted to use suede strips but suede is rare to come by in my area. For the drawstring, i use speed lace(?). The zippers are initially 26 inches long metal jacket zippers , I just trimmed them down because I couldn't find the proper length. Gun holster came from an actual gun holster, I just modified it w/ a bunch of butchered cheap belts. The side cap is self drafted, but I used a real side cap for sizing reference.

here are some (crappy phone cam) pictures that I hope might be usefull to those who will make one from scratch
240f0ba4eea06ed48c18b195858afd02.jpg

My collar is "quilted" it has foam paddin in between, the major basting right there because the spacing is small and precise.

05408036827993a140e1edd3a94f5194.jpg

This is how I laced the back part. I hope you can make out how I laid it out. The lace goes through one hole on the inner/smaller curve, then it goes through two holes for the larger curve.

46aba4b8de4f2e5a6587ab637a412b54.jpg

this is how the back looks like when done.

So, there you have it. If you have any questions about how I did Amber or the other girls feel free to ask. Pictures of the finished costume along w/ my friends are here. Pardon in advance for the wrong placement of the hat. It was a brain fart moment on my part. I have corrected it since then.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I am currently working on a Sweet Pea costume for Dragon*Con, and a friend told me about this forum. I've just read through it, and wow you guys have some really great info here!

I'm trying to decide on a pattern to use/modify for Sweet Pea's coat, and I realized something. I know that there is corset lacing up the back of the coat, but does anyone know exactly how far up it goes? From the photo of the costume at ArcLight, you can see that the lacing goes up past where the hood hangs down. But I'm wondering, does it actually go all the way up or does it stop at some point, so as not to interfere with the hood?

And also, what kind of patterns (if any) are you guys using?

I'm using a heavily modified Victorian-era bodice pattern. We got one that was the right general shape, then added on the tails, the extra seams, the hood, etc.

Mine laces up all the way... yeah not all of it is going to show, but at least it will be held together in that area.
The hood is just not attached in that area... kind of hard to explain without pictures (and no, I don't have any, 'cuse its not done yet), but since the hood is so big, you can't really tell.

As of now, the only pic I know of from the back with the hood up is in the Art Book, and its dark and hard to see. With the BR/DVD coming out Tuesday, it should be easier to get pics of that area.

Great eye Skruffy! This was a commissioned piece and since the client is a righty, she requested the holster be placed on her left side. Thanks for the input! ♥

That's strange, because the holster is on the right side BECAUSE she's right handed.

BD rarely uses the gun without the sword in the movie, and from a martial artist's point of view, it's much easier to shoot the gun left handed and use the sword right handed than it is to use a sword left handed and the gun right handed; especially considering the weight of the sword and the lack of strength and control of the non-dominant side. Whenever two seperate weapons are being used, even if it's two blades, it's customary to use the larger, heavier weapon in the dominant hand.

Hello guys, as I'm using my bdoll costume again, my improved version (so to speak) I had to finish everything this week.

Today I finished my old S&W, I painted it chromeplated, a frien helped me to customice it a little, painted the grips to give them a wooden look and then, put the decals.

This is how it looked like before.

28v6af8.jpg

This is how it looks like now.

707sio.jpg

I'm using this gun, till I finish my colt 1911.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm new here. I haven't read through all 36 pages of posts yet, but I was wondering if people could give me some advice on the charms for Babydoll's gun. Also I was wondering how people went about getting the swords. I have found a couple reasonable looking swords, but I really want to stay true, the same goes to the map holder.

Hey guys, Amber progress update. I'm done with the jacket, pants, top, panties - still need to tweak the lacing a bit. Hat is more khaki-colored so I'm gonna try to dye it a little more green. ::crossesfingers::

Next up, I've got all the materials to make the leather shoulder holster, straps, and belt. Still need to pick up the gloves and gun.

And then of course, gotta learn the makeup. Very important! Just threw it on for a quick picture.

Alright so I'm new here but I've scoured this forum for information on what people are using to create Sweet Pea's coat. The lining I'll be using Wool crepe but I dont have the money to work with real leather and the pleather around here just looks like shiney plastic.
I already have my boots, weapons, scabbard, rosary and other mis pieces, and currently working on shoulder armor using clay to mold pieces and molding plastic to create it. The coat is just causing problems and I have to get the entire outfit done in 35 days.

Some one ... help? anyone?
heh

Well, now my old katana is finished. The menukis arrived, I painted them gold and did the tsumaki(handle wrap) with leather. So that's all :D

2epimf4.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back