Sucker Punch - Babydoll Costume - FINISHED PG 3

Re: Sucker Punch - Babydoll Costume - WIP

Oh, last quick question, did you use any sort of sealer for the decals and if there is, can I find it in stores because I don't have time to get it in my DC. Do you think I'd be okay without it?

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while. If you make the decals yourself, then yes, you do need to put several coats of clear coat on them after printing or the inket ink wil come right off when you put them in water. I prefer Krylon, but you can use any clear coat. If you bought epillepticsquirrel's, you should be good. He clear coats them before he sends them.

UPDATE: Here's some shots of my wife at D*C 2011 in the finished costume!

That costume looks spot on! My only critique would be to maybe dirty it up a bit, other than that it's perfect! Great job! :thumbsup

That costume looks spot on! My only critique would be to maybe dirty it up a bit, other than that it's perfect! Great job! :thumbsup

Good eye, it was the one thing I didn't have time to do. I was finishing up my brooms at 11:30pm the night before I left for DC.

awh your wife looks amazing!! costume is spot on! :D
and you look awesome as spidey! that is a pretty nuts replica! Did you make it yourself? :D xo

I made 98% of my wife's costume, but with everything else stacking up so close to D*C I had nothing to do with the Spidey other than paying for it and working out to be the right build for it.

haha awesome! :D i really wanted to get one of the suits by spidey4fun i think this dudes website is called, his suits, like yours are so cool! my bf would go nuts for one :p xo

Here's some update pics, if you have any questions, ask away!

Pic 2 -- Refinished heel on shoes, and sword strap. Will most likely dye sword strap darker.

I have been killing myself trying to get the babydoll sword strap right. I started with a 180cm length of flat sageo cord, but I just can't get it to do what I want it to do. Do you have any pointers? What length of cord did you start with? How did you tie it off, both the sailor knotting and onto the sword?

Parks

Parks i am dreading doing this braided strap i tried to practice on a shoe lace at work and it looked rubbish haha! i have no patience! :'( x

I have been killing myself trying to get the babydoll sword strap right. I started with a 180cm length of flat sageo cord, but I just can't get it to do what I want it to do. Do you have any pointers? What length of cord did you start with? How did you tie it off, both the sailor knotting and onto the sword?

Parks

Honestly, that was the hardest part of the costume for me. I had to have my wife spread all ten fingers out in line with each other pointing up and weave them through and around her fingers. The problem is you have to do EVERY loop at one time, you can't tie a few, then tie a few more. Every loop has to be done as a part of the same knot, so I was limited to 10 sailors knots/loops for the long part.

I did ten knots in the middle, and five at each end to wrap arount the sheath. The knot is kinda an infinity loop through the entire thing, so it should finish itself if you tie it correctly.

Honestly, that was the hardest part of the costume for me. I had to have my wife spread all ten fingers out in line with each other pointing up and weave them through and around her fingers. The problem is you have to do EVERY loop at one time, you can't tie a few, then tie a few more. Every loop has to be done as a part of the same knot, so I was limited to 10 sailors knots/loops for the long part.

I did ten knots in the middle, and five at each end to wrap arount the sheath. The knot is kinda an infinity loop through the entire thing, so it should finish itself if you tie it correctly.

I was afraid you were going to say that. How long a piece did you start with?

Parks

Honestly, I started with a 500 cm saegeo, and did the knots dead center, then did the knots on the end and cut off the slack, so I don't really know. Plus, my wife is 4'10" and under 100 lbs, so the strap is probably much shorter in length than most others would have to make so the sheath would sit right on her back. Sorry, I know I used much less than half, so you should be good if you have a 180 cm strap. I think that's what the other girls are using.

Would you please be able to tell me how many yards of each fabric you used? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much for all your help!! I might actually see both of ya'll at Dragon-con, how crazy is that!!? XP Is your wife going to make it to the big Sucker Punch photoshoot Friday afternoon? Oh, and you answered all my questions! I finished the pleating on the skirt, just have to make the yoke now, and then work on the top. I was thinking about just adding buttons along the front of the top, since the scarf/tie and belt will cover most of it. For the sheath holder, I might not get it in time, but I went hunting around and think I can use something from Hobby Lobby if I don't get it in time. I will definitely look at asking Epilepticsquirl about getting a decal for the sword. Went to Tandy Leather a little while back and got all the materials to make the shoulder holster, now I just need to make it. XP Again, thanks for all your help!

You shouldn't need to put a zipper in at all, Although I made that mistake on my first babydoll top.
Her's actually buttons up the front with 3 brass buttons. They are mostly hidden by the scarf in the film, but you can def. see them on the sculpture
here: http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g80/370280/370280_1280024640_large.jpg

Makes getting the top on/off easier too!
And glad that pattern worked out for you!

Would you please be able to tell me how many yards of each fabric you used? I would really appreciate it!

I bought 1.5 yds of grey and 3 yds of ink blue. I have a lot of the grey left, but the blue is mostly scraps. Keep in mind my wife is under 5' and under 100 lbs though.

Jade looks GREAT as Babydoll, good work :thumbsup

Thanks Chris!

Her's actually buttons up the front with 3 brass buttons.

Personally, I'm sticking with the one button and the zipper until I can comfirm it with something in film or behind the scenes. I tried to find a scene where I could see more than one button and I just couldn't find one. It'd definately be much easier to go the 3 button route though. Thanks again for the heads up on the pattern!

Last edited:

unless your going for 100% screen accuracy.

Those are exactly the type of pics I was waiting for, but haven't seen yet, thanks! I guess now I'll have to do a version 2, or at the very least put on 2 more buttons on version 1 for now.

Personally, I don't ever see a reason not to go 100% if your capable of it. :cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back