Star Wars Theme Home theatre Build - Need some Help

What a great build. Your door is perfect. Overall the design looks like it is coming along great. Can't wait to see it finished. Awesome!

Re: Star Wars Theme Home theatre Build -Update 10-01-14

HI Everyone,
Have been busy since last post so didn't have much time, put in another 3 days this week and got further ahead. Ive got maybe 3 days of work to be ready for paint. Biggest headache I have now is the Entry door Bulkhead, not looking forward to the work, but should look good when done

Thanks

Photo 21.jpg Photo 19.jpg
Photo 22.jpg Photo 18.jpg

Still looks great, what are you going to do with the flooring?

Thanks Mik,
Just going with this patterned carpet,tight loop pile looks like steel almost. Should blend in well. We dont wear any shoes inside the house, so doing anything else will be uncomfortable on the feet.

Thanks Mik,
Just going with this patterned carpet,tight loop pile looks like steel almost. Should blend in well. We dont wear any shoes inside the house, so doing anything else will be uncomfortable on the feet.

Great idea, the look of steel will be nice for the design, but it still won't be reflective like a hard surface for the acoustics.

Wow this stuff is incredible! I'm a little new to building and remodeling but flexible plywood sounds amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

I cant wait till I have time to start building my own room in my basement.... your theater build is putting all kinds of crazy ideas in my head BAFTOZ!

You and me both in the end time and cash will eliminate the wildest of them but for now it`s fun to dream lol

Man this is honestly amazing. The day its finished and you get to sit down in the completed room and watch star wars will be the best day ever hah. Man what I would do to have this in my house :)

HI Fuzzual,

I did get a little further with the door entry, but wanted to get more done this week before I post some pics. Ive got the main frame complete just need to get the frontlight panels all routered out. As its a new home build that Im building, Ive been doing a heap of other stuff on the house as I have my Carpet floors being booked in for the 1st of Feb so have my tradies in and out everyday.

Photo 1.jpg

Here is a pic from the front of the house. Still got some small retaining walls to do and paths and driveways. Im doin as much as I can myself to try save some $$$$$. So Im juggling between the main houise and the Theatre room. But is all not that far. Light can be seen at the end of the tunnel.

Photo 3.jpg

Thanks

That is a wild looking house! :thumbsup Wow. How did they let you build it so close to the neighbor's houses? No matter. Soon they will all be begging to watch movies in your theater.

Thanks DJ, Normally garage is allowed to be built on boundary (which I have done) and house must be a min of 1.2m (4ft) off the boundary. However when I purchased the lot the Building envelope diagram showed you could build to boundary on both sides. So I designed it that way got it all approved and started building. Its only about 4 weeks ago when the Land Developer (who approves all the designs in the estate) calls me and says "we did a mistake we wern't supposed to approve your drawings they way they are" I said " Theres nothing I can do about it now, I did everything by the the book" so it worked out great for me.

Neighbours havn't seen room yet, but a few people who have, have given me strange looks, a look of "Whats wrong with you". I dont mind, I'm happy with it so far.

Amazing work, I was lucky enough to get a decent HT when we built 2yrs ago but it's a fairly simple room, no decoration, doesn't matter when the light go out though. :) Hopefully one day if we do it all again I'll be able to do something similar to yours, very inspiring.

So onto the window graphics, I'm a designer at a print company so I've a bit of experience with similar stuff. I'm assuming the highest quality source images you have are 1080p screen shots from the Blurays? I'd be hunting for something higher quality like a poster or book although using them is getting into grey area. Having said all that, I think you'd be surprised how big you can go even with a low res source. It's all about viewable distance, because they're so big, you will be viewing them from further away in order to take it all in so you can get away with something that is not ideal. Obviously up close you won't have the detail but you gotta work with what you've got.

By default Photoshop uses a Bicubic resize but there are other resizing methods (plugins or standalone applications) which can attempt to interpolate more detail into a scaled up image. This will only get you so far, then what I like to do to get rid of any hard pixelisation is to add a significant amount of noise before blurring the image to try and simulate film grain. It looks softer & more pleasing up close, the noise suggests detail & texture that the original is missing.

If the results look promising on screen then it's a good idea to crop a section out & do a cheap full size test print, hang it in situ & see if it works. I'm really curious how far a 1080p image can be used now so I might run some tests at work tomorrow & let you know.

Just realised I completely missed the comparison between the large window prints & the projector screen itself. Obviously a 1080p Bluray looks great from a few meters away but you can clearly see the pixels up close, so upscale, noise & blur should give quite a serviceable print.

Thanks Cray, I'll try a print from the files I have at a local print shop. If no good I'll try work something out.

Thanks sithsam

Can't upload pics from my phone ( or don't know how, more like it) I've finished all the wood work, filled all gaps and nail holes , needing to finish sanding and hopefully have a first coat of paint in the next 4-5 days. It's finally getting to the end, taking way too much of my time up looking forward to using it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back