Star Wars: Battlefront

i still havn't gotten around to playing this yet. i've got to upgrade my monitor as this olde 27 inch one is starting to crap out, so thinking of going the TV route.

can they let you choose between ship and ground missions? I always find ship missions far more fun and they remind me of the awesome RS games, thati wish would get re rleeased and updated.

Having played Battlefield 3 and 4, DICE has a track record of having missions, which I assume the "Hutt Contracts" are, where they force you to use X gun and get X amount of kills to unlock something. Sometimes those are a LOT of fun, but some are a grind, which they should test and figure out first. I remember Battlefield 3 had one of these where you had to get a bunch of kills with the EOD bot, which was hard.

Yeah, I know. They had them in Battlefield 3 which was the last DICE game I played. They're a pain in the ass. Always have been. It's one of my least favorite aspects of these games, but at least back then you could join a server with friends and just farm the stuff to get the kills you needed. With consoles and no server browser, you can forget that with this game.

My son plays it and enjoys it for what it is. A Star Wars game were he can be a Stormtrooper and not have to be super skilled to get some enjoyment out of it.

Did something get updated during the air battle games? I used to be able to take out so many people with reckless abandon, now I have to track one pilot for too long it seems.

^ I was wondering about that, too. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and watched a couple of YT videos for tips about starfighter missions that were posted a year ago, and some of what they say doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Particularly the hero ships---they seem to have been downgraded.

They did, somewhere between Bespin and Death Star, I think. Several things happened.

- They changed the missile thing for TIE Interceptors from another ion missile to some other weapon that I can't figure out.

- They made it so that your lock feature can't be used indefinitely. You get a limited period of locking on to a target, and then it goes into cooldown.

- They added additional ships that can spawn as wingmen and such. Like the TIE Defender and the B-wing. These are (I believe) AI controlled ships that are more powerful, but their kills count to you, again, I think.

- They made it so that flying slower increases your blaster power to create a tradeoff for speed vs. firepower.

- The A-wing remains easy-mode, in my opinion. Or at least easier-mode.

- Release it with a true offline mode. People need to have a chance to get the hang of the vehicles and learn the maps, and an offline mode with customizable AI difficulty would be ideal for this. It sucks that all we have are the missions and lame skirmish mode limited to original release content, but none of the DLC.

I can't understand why they haven't done this already. At some point, the servers will be closed and/or the playing community will die out and then the game will be stuck with those dull "mission" and skirmish modes. The DLC in particular will completely disappear as there's no way to play any of those maps offline, and all that obvious love and hard work they put into maps such as the carbon freezing chamber or Jabba's palace will be gone. If they had a true offline mode however, they would still be able to continue selling the DLC even after the servers or community die off so even from a financial standpoint, I don't know why they wouldn't do this (unless there's some severe technical challenges for whatever reason).

They did so much to market this as an authentic Star Wars experience, and it would be far more authentic in an offline mode without having other players spamming the emote buttons or other online interactions that take you out of the experience. I love how the AI stumbles on the ground in the offline modes and you can't get that in online.

I can't understand why they haven't done this already. At some point, the servers will be closed and/or the playing community will die out and then the game will be stuck with those dull "mission" and skirmish modes. The DLC in particular will completely disappear as there's no way to play any of those maps offline

Yup. I only just got a PS4 and was about three games behind in the Call of Duty series on the PS3. I went ahead and got some DLC maps for Ghosts, and the system rarely put me in a game using them because there aren't enough people still playing the game who had bought them.

The Defender and B wings are like Dogs in the original COD. They are out for a limited time and run up your kills. There are a lot of AI ships out there and those are easier kills. You get points for them but they don't show up on your K/D ratio at the end.

it was two questions, on a scale of one to ten how likely are you to recommend battlefront, and then a why did you give it this rating.

I hope they listen because I'm not spending anywhere near as much money on the next game. Screw the DLC and its online only crap.

The Defender and B wings are like Dogs in the original COD. They are out for a limited time and run up your kills. There are a lot of AI ships out there and those are easier kills. You get points for them but they don't show up on your K/D ratio at the end.
What's irksome is the after-game screens use two different definitions for "kills". In the first screen with the team stats, it lists the total ships destroyed number as "kills". Then it goes to a screen just about you, and now suddenly "kills" means player-operated ships only, and then the total as "vehicles destroyed". Be consistent, guys...

I am not getting the hang of the hero ships at all. I'm getting LESS kills with them, not more.

Is it me or do Lamda shuttles take more damage than rebel transports?

It seems like the shuttles take a huge amount of damage. Of course they are going for gameplay vs. canon, but they take a lot of damage. In the books (and X-Wing/TIE), a torpedo, at the least, takes out a shuttle's shields. In BF, it makes the shuttle pilot laugh apparently.

I've come to the conclusion that, with the exception of Jyn and Krennic as heroes, and the new unlocks, I really don't like the Scarif DLC.

Played Walker Assault on it this weekend, and the Imperials consistently won, simply because there isn't enough time to kill the two walkers. The maps just don't seem well designed. They look gorgeous, but they don't play in a particularly fun way, what with invisible walls at random intervals in the trees, and generally seeming to favor one side or the other, depending on the map.

This, by the way, has always been a problem for DICE. They suck at map balance. Always have. They regularly design maps that -- all things being equal -- will favor one side or the other, and very rarely end up finding a balance to those maps until several months down the road.

Anyway, just not that enthused about Scarif. Same story with Death Star. I want to like both...but I just don't. I find myself playing Bespin and the Outer Rim more lately, and enjoying them a lot more.

Even though I love Star Wars I haven't played much of this game. I even had it at launch! I really wished there was some single player content I would fire it up much more.

Yeah, the single player stuff is decidedly lacking. It also doesn't help that the AI is...not great in the SP portion. If you play with AI friendlies, they get killed WAY too easily. If you play without them, you're usually outnumbered pretty significantly. Not fun.

And the DLC, of course, is basically nonexistent. You can use the guns, but that's it.

I play this game daily since launch I really enjoy it. Yes the DLC's pretty much suck now but they were a lot of fun. There are so many game modes available the smaller maps are pretty intense, a game of Cargo is always going. The larger maps are also a lot of fun Walker Assault, Supremacy are popular but Turning point is a little more pure with no hero's. If you don't mind dying and jump into the action it's great, if you want to be sniper and wait for some perfect shot it's going to suck and you aren't helping the team. When you die join your partner or wait till his health regenerates so you can join him. This will save you a lot of running.

The single player mode is fun if you set it on easy, there is really no point in doing it on hard since it's mainly for practice. Get in a real game and get your butt handed to you until you get better.

If you make some friends you can all join a group, this group will not get broken up in autobalance.

Not having an in game team chat is stupid. I shouldn't have to add strangers to my friends list to communicate to beat the other team in a multiplayer game.

They don't have to be on your friends list but yeah, you do need to invite them (or be invited) to a "party".

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back