Snowspeeder build. 3D print w/ a little scratch build fun

Definitely not CA, it will fog the glass as stated above. I've used this stuff for "regular modeling" called canopy glue. I'm pretty sure its just Elmer's glue but you could give it a shot if you want to.

Lighting circuit board arrived. 9-12v input. Each channel can handle 4-6 led’s and each has a pot to adjust the blink rate. LEDs shown are for testing.

IMG_2697.jpeg

Alot of leds. White, Red, Blue and Green.

IMG_2691.jpeg

Testing. Goal will be to put the LED near the fiber optics and run the red/black wire to the rear where the board will be.

IMG_2700.jpeg

Looking at this production photo of Luke. This inspired my rear cockpit.

What is in there holding the canopy up???

Hmmm… Let’s see what I can do.

IMG_2706.jpeg

Prototype here. What do you all think?

IMG_2705.jpeg

IMG_2704.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2702.jpeg

It needs some refinement but it works. Sucky for side window visibility.

Time to stuff all that wiring into the body. Well at lease most of it.

Front Cockpit and right side are tied together and installed together. This is where i figured out i am going to be in trouble. I had to clear out a bunch of material in both sides to get the side panels to route.

IMG_2712.jpeg

Here you can see what was cleared out. Had to burry the LED's and fibers back there and then get the power wires to the rear.

IMG_2713.jpeg

It is all in the rear and here i am trying to install the seat. Its wires come out the side so i had to fish it thru the already closed out side panel to the rear. You can see the fish line there with the tape to pull thru.

Here is where i convinced myself that there was no way i would get all the wires in there, wired and stuffed into the back. Just no room to work.

So... Back to de-constructing the rear of the model.

IMG_2714.jpeg

Making a mess. The top rear plate was separate to the body so removed it and dug underneath into the rear cockpit foot well. You can see there the two power input 3.5mm phone jacks.. Will be using only one.

IMG_2715.jpeg

Much better. All the wires in the back and after i start trimming to length the PCB's can go down there too. Will try and magnet that panel down for access later.

IMG_2717.jpeg

And now for closing all the cockpit gaps. The whole parameter is filled in and sanded. Primer and re-paint is next, You can see in the rear some scales holding the magnets in place flush while the glue dries.

IMG_2730.jpeg

Pleased with the progress. The end is in sight although my weakest skill is coming up. Weathering...

Last edited:
Looking good :cool::cool:(y)(y)and...I'm a bit like you: do I plan to put the lighting/wires during the building or after? I'm from the school of "after" with major surgery involved while the patient is in a coma and on IV:eek::eek::oops::oops::oops::p:p

SO far i have not lost a patient but sometimes i wish i planned a little more. Of course this model was not to get lighting in the first place.

Engines and cannons WILL NOT have lights. (That was a command to myself BTW...) :)

An update. Been chipping away at the wiring and painting.

Wires are all in place. Figuring out the blink rate of each panel has been a pain.

Cockpit threshold is sealed, smooth and painted.

IMG_2732.jpeg

Made a magnet cover for the wiring. It was just too painful to wire otherwise.

IMG_2733.jpeg

Test fitting the canopy
IMG_2756.jpeg

I can already see the guns getting broken off at some point so i buried magnets in both sides of the gun/mount and attached them that way. The align well and break off if needed.

IMG_2757.jpeg

Test fit it all and getting ready for more painting and weathering

IMG_2801.jpeg

Light panels painted. At this point i am sure i am departing from cannon but then again my cockpit already did that. The pictures i look at and other builds start to confuse on what is right/cannon and what looks good. My model, my way from hear on out. :)

IMG_2802.jpeg

Tape off the butt end for some darker shades.

IMG_2805.jpeg

Looking good.

IMG_2809.jpeg

Much better. Test fit the spoilers.

IMG_2810.jpeg

Another test fit. Why not. Realize my wood dowel guns are a but heavy. The guns really should have a front support back to the body to be "real" and stay there in flight. The air flow would make them terribly inaccurate and likely to break off. I am doing everything i can to refrain from "fixing" that. To start i will change the wood out for some plastic tubing to make things lighter. We will see.

There really should be supports out there....

IMG_2814.jpeg

Unrelated but Studio Scale. Made these for another builder. Turned out good. If you know, you know. :)

IMG_2798.jpeg

Last edited:
Went ahead and applied the decals, did some damage and tried my hand at weathering. Not done but close. Probably all i need now is some wash but if you see something please let me know.

After air brushing work.

IMG_2891.jpeg

Working on installing glass. PITA. The blue tape i had on the rear cockpit messed up a little. May have to turn that into battle damage.

IMG_2895.jpeg

Hard to heat up a screw driver and drive it into your model but sometimes even the best pilot hits something on the way to battle.

IMG_2894.jpeg

Tried to fill the gouge with silver paint and then streak around it.

IMG_2910.jpeg

Overall bottom

IMG_2899.jpeg

One side after the glass was installed

IMG_2906.jpeg

Bottom intake. Using Kool Shade where i could.

IMG_2911.jpeg

The back end. Not happy with the gun. Probably re-paint. Also not sure how to do the cables to the gun and still allow it to rotate some. Any ideas? Guitar strings are too stout.

IMG_2913.jpeg

Overall with cockpit open

IMG_2905.jpeg

Hard to photograph the lights. Not super pleased with the lighting but at least there is some.

IMG_2902.jpeg

A few more things to fix. almost there.

Last edited:
Looking very good. Nothing to signal concerning the wear & tear on the bird. I usually use a very fine griding tool/Dremel for more "damages"...but any will do if that's the look you're happy with(y)(y):love::love:

Thank you all.

Interior of my SS Snow Speeder. 80% scratch built. Dash Lighting is not turned on. There are 62 fiber optics in there.

Also not cannon. I was inspired by a mix of production stills, screen grabs, what seemed right and using the greeblies I had.

Most of the dials are WWII plane 3D decals.

I was heavily influenced by this production still on the level of detail the rear cockpit would have had.

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2932.jpeg

IMG_2920.jpeg

IMG_2921.jpeg

IMG_2922.jpeg

IMG_2923.jpeg

IMG_2924.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

IMG_2926.jpeg

IMG_2927.jpeg

IMG_2927.jpeg

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back