Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

2012-d2.jpg
Everyone. I just hit a jackpot! I've found the closest looking fabric I've ever been able to find in the United States to the original coat fabric. Whew!!!! It's gonna wipe me out with it being 14.99 a yard, but good grief, opportunity may never knock again. The only problem now is those blasted buttons! Anybody with a good eye know if they're black or dark brown. They look like leather but also handpainted, because I've never seen buttons that color before, and my grandmother collects them!

Tell me what you think about the fabric? Is it a close enough match or should I continue my long search? I would really like to know your opinions.

2012-d2.jpg
Everyone. I just hit a jackpot! I've found the closest looking fabric I've ever been able to find in the United States to the original coat fabric. Whew!!!! It's gonna wipe me out with it being 14.99 a yard, but good grief, opportunity may never knock again. The only problem now is those blasted buttons! Anybody with a good eye know if they're black or dark brown. They look like leather but also handpainted, because I've never seen buttons that color before, and my grandmother collects them!

Tell me what you think about the fabric? Is it a close enough match or should I continue my long search? I would really like to know your opinions.
It's hard to be sure in a swirl, but he fabric could be a winner.

The buttons are plastic or resin, very dark brown...almost black, with a tan cross and trim.

2012-d3.jpg

I managed to find another picture of it. It's the fabric in the corner. I'm so excited. I was just wondering how this fabric matched up to the original. I'm sure there are some differences but I just wondered if anyone thought it was off or not.

Also thanks for the description of the buttons, RayR!!!

B black and sons in LA currently have some buttons that are like 1/2 scale Sherlock buttons, just with black "stitching" around the edge instead of gold. I asked and unfortunately they don't have any larger ones. It's Lao a little unfortunate because there's a Doctor Who coat with nearly identical buttons.

2012-d2.jpg

I don't know for certain about the wool because of the image, ask ray. Regarding the buttons, I will be using plastic replica's of the buttons, then at a latter date maybe get a leatherworker to make some for me.

The button's

My coat's progress on my blog

Wool I may be using

the buttons, dark brown leather with gold detailing. the second and third picture shows the colour more (third pic sourced from RayR)
000070y4
s640x480
sh3-1.jpg

2012-d3.jpg

I managed to find another picture of it. It's the fabric in the corner. I'm so excited. I was just wondering how this fabric matched up to the original. I'm sure there are some differences but I just wondered if anyone thought it was off or not.

Also thanks for the description of the buttons, RayR!!!

I held mine up next to the photo. That material is almost spot on. I would certainly go with that unless I could get the actual manufacturer material. Very nice!:thumbsup

I don't know for certain about the wool because of the image, ask ray. Regarding the buttons, I will be using plastic replica's of the buttons, then at a latter date maybe get a leatherworker to make some for me.

The button's

My coat's progress on my blog

Wool I may be using

the buttons, dark brown leather with gold detailing. the second and third picture shows the color more (third pic sourced from RayR)
000070y4
s640x480
sh3-1.jpg

Those buttons are quite close except for the color being more milk chocolate while the originals are a very dark chocolate (almost black) FYI the buttons are PLASTIC and just resemble leather. They are 1" diameter. There are smaller, otherwise identical buttons around the inside of the collar used to attach the fur piece.

Ray, is there any chance you would be wiling to remove a button from your coat for molding? If you sent it to me I could make a mold and I'd be happy to pay you for shipping and whatever fee a tailor charges you to reattach the button (if you choose not to do it yourself) when I return it to you. I could then make perfect copies for anyone who wants them.N please let me know.

Ray, is there any chance you would be wiling to remove a button from your coat for molding? If you sent it to me I could make a mold and I'd be happy to pay you for shipping and whatever fee a tailor charges you to reattach the button (if you choose not to do it yourself) when I return it to you. I could then make perfect copies for anyone who wants them.N please let me know.
Sorry, never gonna happen. why don't you ask Abby Shot or Cozplay where you can get replacement buttons. Perhaps they sell them or can direct you.

It would be awesome if you could get some buttons made exactly like that!!! Let me know if you can and how much when you find someone who can? I've searched alot of places that would have those sort of buttons. I absolutely love your buttons you found in Germany. Unfortunately there are only 5 buttons left and I'll need at least 10 and they don't ship to America. Shame.

For 7 yards, $104 dollars. For a college student, that is a big deduction. In any case, is the lining in the coat silk or satin, or something else? And how does the collar pop like that. Is there an extra piece of material or lining in it to get it to stand like that? Thanks for the info and good luck.

It would be awesome if you could get some buttons made exactly like that!!! Let me know if you can and how much when you find someone who can? I've searched alot of places that would have those sort of buttons. I absolutely love your buttons you found in Germany. Unfortunately there are only 5 buttons left and I'll need at least 10 and they don't ship to America. Shame.

For 7 yards, $104 dollars. For a college student, that is a big deduction. In any case, is the lining in the coat silk or satin, or something else? And how does the collar pop like that. Is there an extra piece of material or lining in it to get it to stand like that? Thanks for the info and good luck.
I would have to guess it's satin because silk is very delicate and this seems a bit more sturdy.

As for the collar, there is nothing unusual. Notice in photos when it is up he may have a scarf on, which makes it stand better. Or, he may have the front flap tucked a bit tighter (as if there were a higher button) which also helps. The collar stands pretty well on one side but not the other unless it is one of those circumstances. It does not stand well with the jacket open. If you see it like that, it is probably a posed shot.

Also, If you are counting only the full sized buttons, there are 8. 6 in front & 2 on the belt.

Interfacing is what makes the collar stiffen slightly, it also keeps the label and body of the coat in shape

Thanks for the great input! I think I found two somethings that might work! I'll have to put the cross and braid on by myself but these are the only buttons I've found that I actually like. What do you think? I found a brown and a black. They are 1 inch diameter.
If neither work, let me here your opinion. I love criticism. It makes the process a lot better.

!BfNBwo!!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CwErgDgzJbPBL!V5oV7)g~~_35.JPG

4ef1807d96f91_4571n.jpg

The German ones are better. I can't read the auction, could somebody tell me if they ship to the US and if that auction is for one button or the lot of them? If people are interested, I'll get one/them and mold and cast them. I can't find them on ebay.com, so I'm not sure, can I even buy them through the .de site?

Also, the collar stands like that because of a piece of interfacing called collar canvas stitched to the bottom piece of the collar.

EDIT: Ok, turns out the guy speaks excellent English and got back to me very quickly. I've just purchased his last lot of 5 of these buttons. When they come in, I'll get the mold made and start up an interest thread in the junkyard.

Last edited:
I too am scouring the net for the right material to make a Sherlock coat.

I found this website - Fine Cloth & Linings Collection - Harrisons of Edinburgh - Lear Browne & Dunsford - Porter & Harding

If you click on the H Lesser selection (2nd square on the left) and view their no.302 16ozs range, you can see some patterns that look really close. Especially number 29650.
However, 450 grams might not be heavy enough for a coat. The thornproof tweeds in the P&H collection has a good one with sample 62023, and that's 560 grams.

What do you think is the minimum weight I should go for when picking a fabric?
I enquired after that material neroon15 posted, but they couldn't tell me much more beyond "medium to heavyweight", which might not be enough if it's more on the medium side. So tempting though, maybe I'll risk it.

Last edited:
It's proving a real nuisance to find anything appropriate in coat weight. Even a dark houndstooth like the one used for that wonderful "A Study in Coat" blog seems impossible for me to track down.

RayR, I just wanted to say you're a really awesome guy to answer all these questions about the coat.

I'm totally tempted to figure out how to make myself a version. It's impossible I'd ever find a good match otherwise - I'm five feet tall

Alright, then. Hello everyone, I'm officially getting aboard now.
Jessamygriffin's 'A Study in Coat' convinced me, about two weeks back, that making the coat was not only some weird idea of mine but that there were others 'out there' who had some experience and were willing to discuss and share - short, that it was indeed possible :)
Leaves the problem of gathering the supplies, and that's when I got here and found your lovely discussion. Apart from the buttons the fabric is obviously the biggest problem, so I wanted to ask you what you think of this one here:

Alfatex - Tweed

wsg387.jpg

I'll be attempting to put a real pattern together in the process, btw, since I own several older books on tailoring and pattern-making... Not promising anything but I'll try also to document my progress on ihyestil.livejournal.com.

Beste regards!
elenthari/ihyestil

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back