Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Skippy2k, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Skippy2k

Skippy2k Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello, generally lurk on the sight but finally registered and was wanting to get some opinions if possible. While I still want to get one of Steve Rick's awesome 10th Doctor coats in the short run I wanted to get one of the replica Sherlock coats i've found. I've just finished the 3 episodes via netflix, very good show and really liked the look of his coat. It's similar in design to the 11th Doc's coat which i've considered too but I kinda like the textured look to it and the back belt style of it.

Anyway looking i've come across two versions, one listed as a wool and one as a linen. At first I was leaning toward the linen version since it looked more to have the texured look like the show but then found better pics of the wool version and am now not sure... Not an expert on fabric or which would be more accurate/better in person so if anyone could offer up suggestions/opinions?

Thanks!

For reference, the coat from the show:
    http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16800000/-Sherlock-sherlock-16827594-1882-2560.jpg

The Linen version for sale:
    Sherlock Holmes Cape Coat Cosplay Costume Linen Version | eBay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Wool version for sale:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

3. Okona

Okona New Member

Thanks for the link.

Very nice coat.

4. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was actually going to suggest the same eBay seller as kalkamel did, they're nice quality and look very good. A friend of mine purchased one not too long ago, and after doing some aging to the coat, it looked perfect for the part.

5. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

I've been sewing for over 40 years and I've gotten pretty good at identifying fabrics from pictures. The original coat is wool tweed.

Linen is a lovely fabric, but it has a huge flaw - it wrinkles like crazy. The first time you sit down, you are going to have wrinkles in your lap, across your rear, and behind your knees. The photo on the Ebay auction looks like it came right off the ironing board. Yes the wrinkles will iron out, but just normal wear can make you look like you've slept in the garment by the end of the day.

Lynn

6. Skippy2k

Aha, thanks! That looks to be a really good option! Only thing I notice is that somehow the pocket buttons are off somehow. Possibly nitpicky and I can't exactly put my finger on it they don't look overly spaced out. On the actual coat the top of the lower pocket is right at about the third button on this one its at the second and where those top vertical pockets come to down to the second button on the screen coat they come down to just the first on this version.

It's almost as though both pockets need to be moved down but the length of the arms looks right in relation too...is it possibly just because it's made for a person shorter than the original?

Thanks for the feedback and link!

7. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's a beautiful coat

8. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm a real stickler for accuracy, so even though the costume items from Singapore and China are low priced, they are always innacurate. It's better to save up and get something better if you REALLY love the caot.

9. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

I suppose if one were looking for a close enough for daily wear rather than a super screen accurate display quality piece, the Ebay one would be sufficient. For the price, it looks quite good.

10. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

11. Skippy2k

Yeah I was just trying to get opinions on the options I had found and the link in that thread seems to be dead, fortunately kalkamel linked a newer auction on it.

Looking at reference pics I tried to point out possible adjustments in order to find out if any or all could be made. Please let me know if these look about right. One thing that's hard to make out is that the back belt almost looks like it's separated on the right side and perhaps buttoned? Kinda hard to make out so could just be a crease or something.

Suggested adjustments:

[​IMG]

Screen references:

[​IMG]

12. GeneralFROSTY

Since the General was shot down in the line of duty, I am posting for 'him'. LONG LIVE THE RESISTANCE!
    Sorry for going OT. I can't get into the OT forum yet...

13. manofsteel25

manofsteel25 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

FYI for what it's worth here's an article that runs through some cheaper 'close enough' alternatives to Sherlock's Belstaff coat in the 100 GBP range.

Get Sherlock's coat

14. Skippy2k

One more question... I contacted abby workshop and they said they could make adjustments as i requested but there is one more that while it may be too far from there pattern I wanted to figure out.

Watching the show and as you can slightly see in the pic above the back belt isn't a solid piece, you can see it buttoned to the right side. Do you think the underpart is solid and the over one just buttons to it (actually looks like both buttons might come thru)? Trying to get a good idea of how it works, any thoughts would be appreciated!

15. Skippy2k

Here is a rough image of how it seems to work from what I can tell, this may be a more troublesome mod and may go too far off the pattern but I went ahead and inquired about it anyway.

[​IMG]

16. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I seriously doubt the belt buttons down to the coat, it's just a wide belt so it doesn't move around much. The pleats are definitely pressed, as you can see the creases at the bottom, but I'm unsure whether or not they're stitched together above the belt or if they're just pressed in place. Either way, very unlikely the buttons are on the coat itself.

17. Skippy2k

While I can't tell whether the buttons are on the coat itself or on another strip underneath it does look to me that the belt is detached. The way the buttons sit in on it and that the visible outer part does look to be a flap with the edge to the right side. It's possible what I think is the flap underneath is a solid piece but it almost looks like both would pull in the sides and button.

Are you thinking Risu that the belt is not seperated? This is just the screen I grabbed but looking at the show it seems to be to me. If not could you explain how you think it works, not a super important detail I guess but trying to figure it as close as possible.

Maybe the buttons aren't on the coat but the flap underneath? Went and grabbed a couple more pics and looseness of it looks like maybe the belt is buttoned together but maybe not to the coat?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  18. Risu

The buttons are on one side of the belt and the holes on the other. It's a standard design in half-belted coats, nothing original or confusing about it. The belts are sewn in to the back side seams and the two belt pieces are buttoned together.

19. Skippy2k

Yeah that's what it was looking like to me now but while this may not be new i've never had such a coat so don't have first hand experience with it. Was just having trouble finding good pics online and had to go back to looking at the show. Thanks for the info!

PS: Any suggestions on the buttons, style names or anything? The look to be split into four quadrants with either a gold/bronze rim or maybe just some lighter color to them.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  20. Risu

I don't think they're split, I think they're just black 4-hole buttons with a rim, possibly in a gold color. It's also possible the whole button is sort of an aged brass, but not very likely.

21. Skippy2k

I don't know if it's physically split but there is a cross pattern on it, almost looks like it was scratched on...here is a close up.

[​IMG]

22. Risu

Hadn't seen that shot before, yea it looks like etched lines. Those look like they'll either be very hard or very easy to find.

23. Skippy2k

So far I wouldn't go with easy...

I found these that have a similar cross pattern don't have the gold rim.
    [​IMG]

And these though still not quite right I kinda like.
    [​IMG]

24. Risu

I've seen buttons with that exact gold rim before, but never with the center like that. Usually they're the kind with a loop on the back and the whole button is gold.

25. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We're going to give this coat a go... I'll keep you guys posted! ;)

-Magnoli

26. TheValeyard

TheValeyard New Member

Glad to hear it! Been waiting to see who would get on the Sherlock train first. Excited to see the results!

27. BrotherWilliam

BrotherWilliam Well-Known Member

I would have thought they'd be a leather button. Quite common for woollen overcoats.

[​IMG]

It may be mock leather like this one. The "gold" is just the fake stitched edge.

[​IMG]

28. joker1

joker1 Member

i bought the wool version from cosplaysky.com. i love it and have been wearing it on a daily basis since the end of october (when i recieved it in the post). they've catered to my every request, and have made a simply outstanding coat. i made a couple of changes to the design, and asked them to change the pleats at the back so that the coat fans out flamboyantly as i walk, which means the design from the show isn't accurate there, but the coat looks just like sherlock's as you walk down the street. it fits me perfectly (it's made to measure) and the wool is nice and lightweight, not stiff and heavy. i had mine lined in black, with two inner pockets added, and the outside pockets - all four of them - are functional. the only two nit-picks i have with it are: the collar isn't too stiff, but will stand up quite nicely anyway, the colour could be a shade or two darker, but the style of the fabric is just right, and it's not ever-so warm, but this isn't too much of a problem, as it means i have room to put a suit jacket underneath the coat (like sherlock) quite comfortably. hope this helps :)

29. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Have you got any pics of it being worn, joker1?

30. Venjix

Venjix Well-Known Member

Manofsteel25 posted an article on the first page and I have been eyeing this coat - a wool herringbone coat by Jeff Banks. Click the picture for the store page.

[​IMG]

Not too accurate, but I want a coat that looks 'Sherlocky' and for everyday wear. Too bad it's sold out :(

Edit: Yes! Any photos of you wearing yours Joker1?

31. joker1

joker1 Member

i'll get some photos done a.s.a.p :)

32. GeneralFROSTY

Yeah dude! How are you going to post about your cool Sherlock coat and not share pics!
    :)

33. Skippy2k

BrotherWilliam, the style of that second one doesn't look too bad but from other angles you can see its more of a flat button rather than the first leather type.

joker1, pictures! :) Yeah the stiffness of the fabric is the thing I wonder about on the abby workshop version. Both look good and they have said they can make the modifications I asked about so i'm leaning that way but I look forward to seeing your pics!

34. Venjix

Venjix Well-Known Member

I think abby workshop is going to be receiving a few orders soon..gah! using my upcoming birthday as an excuse. haha

35. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

I'm also contemplating the abby workshop version, with modifications of course. From the pics, it has the "swoosh" factor of the original Belstaff Millford; the cosplaysky version just looks a bit flat. I just wish I could see that abby workshop fabric up close, though.

36. Venjix

Venjix Well-Known Member

To get the abby-workshop coat (with major adjustments) or to wait for Magnoli's magic to happen? That is the question.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  37. joker1

joker1 Member

hey guys :) pictures are being uploaded as we speak :) my lovely sister took them all, some with flash, some without for you to see for yourselves. a few points: no.1 - yes, i am aware that the pleats at the back are not accurate, but don't worry, i asked for this. i wanted my coat to billow freely as i walk, and trust me, it does that beautifully! no.2 - i also realise that the coat is a little longer than the one in the series...again, this was added as per my request for the billowing effect.

i tried to wear something sherlock-y underneath, but i genuinely wear that blue scarf (such a great find! near exact colour match and jolly warm for £3!!!), similar shoes to his, and similar black leather gloves on a daily basis. there's something quite confidence boosting about walking down the street, catching a glimpse of myself in a shop window, and thinking: "yeah, this is cool" :p

if anyone is thinking about getting one from cosplaysky, don't hesitate! it's absolutely superb value for money (plus you can boast about your supposed £1350 coat :p), and they were so accommodating for my requests. don't be afraid to email them with questions, it'll help you get the coat you want for less :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  38. joker1

joker1 Member

here we go!

Facebook

hope it works here... it was far easier to upload them to facebook than to upload them all to imageshack*

hope this helps!

*if anyone knows a quicker way to post photos here from imageshack, i'd love to know :) thanks!

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  39. GeneralFROSTY

WOW - the coat actually looks really cool! I'd like to see some more pics, this time in natural lighting outdoors.
    Thanks for sharing! Rep points awarded!

40. Skippy2k

That really does look good joker1...makes it harder to choose. Thanks for the pictures!

41. Risu

That coat looks pretty great, aside from the extra 6 inches of length or so. You might want to have a tailor chop it off, undo the red button holes, and maybe interface the collar a bit more heavily, then it'll be spot on.

Also, Photobucket is a great photo hosting site, Imageshack has always given me trouble.

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  42. Skippy2k

He mentioned that the extra length was by request so that's not really an issue. The red button holes i'm torn on, on one side I wouldn't generally go for them on the other side they are kinda unique and accurate to the show. Looking at the original coat or coat it was based off of linked above it looks like it had a standard black stitching.

43. Risu

Only one button hole was red, the lapel one. And that was a mod, the original coat had all black.

44. Skippy2k

Though I haven't seen a good pic showing the red on the outside you can see that the other buttons do actually have red stitching, at least visible on the inside.

[​IMG]

45. Venjix

Venjix Well-Known Member

That coat looks superb Joker1! May I ask how tall you are?
    I'm about 174cm and it makes me worry that a long coat would look odd on me.

46. Risu

Hm, I guess that side is. I honestly think just the one looks a lot better.

47. joker1

joker1 Member

glad everyone likes the pictures! plus, thanks for the kind comments :)

@ Venjix, I'm 180cm, and i took that measurement with my everyday shoes on (they have a regular, formal shoe heel of about 3/4 inch) the coat looks great on, and i think it makes me look taler because it has a generally slim line to it. if you're worried about length, just drop them an email with questions. i would suggest doing that to anyone considering buying this coat to contact cosplaysky with any questions before hand. sketches will help too :) from my experience, they have superb customer service, and gave me quick, concise replies :)

hope this helps

48. thorneyboy

thorneyboy Well-Known Member

The pics won't work for me as I am not on facebook. Can you post here direct?

49. GeneralFROSTY

What's the fabric like on it? Can you get a tighter shot on it for us to see?

50. RayR

RayR Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The pics are a bit dark, but it does look good on you. Thanks for sharing. I'm holding out for the Magnoli. Meanwhile...I want that CLOCK!

BTW Image Shack has a direct link yo can copy/paste that will post the image directly. If you are not sure which one to use, try one than use Preview Post here until you find it.