Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

...ithinking about it...H&M is a really great budget way to get sherlock's look for alot less...i know that's a bit off topic, but i thought i'd share witha few Sherlock fans :)
Thanks for that clue.:thumbsup I'll have to see if they are in the US.

no problem, Ray :) i shop there because i simply love their style. i find the clothes always fit me, and they have nice, plain clothes that are just classic pieces with modern tailoring/design...which is great because i don't suit chino's and skull print t-shirts and superdry hoodies that seem to be flooding the UK at the moment.

if anyone is strapped for cash but want's to get a sherlock coat stand-in (or just don't want to pay lotsa money for an item of clothing) check out this auction on ebay:

NEW HOUSEHOLD DIVISION MILITARY WOOL GREATCOAT

it's one of the closest coats i've found by simply searching "greatcoat" in the ebay search bar. hope someone finds it useful!

joker1, that is a cool coat. I love em long like that. And it says New. Too bad I'm all coated-out for a while, lol. Next up is the Magnoli I ordered before getting the Milford. I'm so confused. I may have to sell one of these. I can't wait to see what Indy does with this.

Sadly, yes, that is the price...minus 167 BPS VAT refund, plus 75 BPS UPS Priority Mail...then a US Import charge (no one knew about) of $240! That showed up at my door. So it pretty much worked out to the list price after all.

I have purchased several WW2 Officers Greatcoats (much heavier) from UK and NEVER had that fee. But they never came via UPS if that matters.

I love that link. The guy did a great job. The material looks very accurate as do the details. I'm not going to be picky about it. I'm still quite happy to have an original. Especially since they are soon to be gone. I really don't expect to find The Milford on eBay :)

Ta. I did the best with the materials I could find and afford, so I am glad my coat is up to snuff. Since it is my coat being referred to, the Bottled Messages From the Far West coat on Tumblr and LiveJournal. Yes, the blog is not great - you can tell I've never done dress diaries before. Or tailoring, for that matter. Taught myself as I went along.

And may I say I am sick, SICK that I finally find someone who has an original and willing to share details after I finished my own?? I am dying to have another go at it now, but this time tracking down the right wool and buttons! I would harass you with a thousand annoying questions to get it better, because no way am I going to be able to afford a Belstaff to copy!

I built my coat just before Season 2 released and was kind of surprised there weren't any replicators out there (aside from cosplaysky) and no one who seemed to be talking about the pattern shape at all. So... there you go. I knew I wasn't getting everything right but worked with what I could from stills and screen shots.

Annoying question number one, RayR - what is the measurement on the hem of the back-skirt section? I think a lot of people assume it is quite billowy and full, but that is perhaps because he wears the coat open all the time and it blows open and back. Just to satisfy myself that I didn't get that part too wrong, please?

That is some fine work! I don't get the Adult Content warning. There is nothing there..except a colorful word or 2..most of which you hear in a High School every day, lol

Yes, my LiveJournal does have an adult rating notice. Indeed. And of course I cuss on it - this is how a costumer works. Blood, tears and screamed imprecations to dark gods. And sulking. Tea is sometimes involved.

Oh, well. The fact is, I have a sock-puppet LiveJournal for fannish purposes, which will surprise no one, I suppose, who is in fandom. Yes there ARE some posts of stories which do warrant a rating. Ahem. Just stick to the 'how to make' tag, and no one will be embarassed, yeah?

In my own defense, I fell into fandom late in life, which surprised my friends, but have embraced it as yet another new hobby wholeheartedly.

Sadly, yes, that is the price...minus 167 BPS VAT refund, plus 75 BPS UPS Priority Mail...then a US Import charge (no one knew about) of $240! That showed up at my door. So it pretty much worked out to the list price after all.

I have purchased several WW2 Officers Greatcoats (much heavier) from UK and NEVER had that fee. But they never came via UPS if that matters.

I love that link. The guy did a great job. The material looks very accurate as do the details. I'm not going to be picky about it. I'm still quite happy to have an original. Especially since they are soon to be gone. I really don't expect to find The Milford on eBay :)

Argh. My original reply didn't go up?

Too long, didn't read version of original comment - Why oh why didn't I find pics of an original Belstaff that someone was willing to share before I finished my coat CURSES!

But I am glad you liked my coat, it was a work of geek love obviously, and practical too. Since the above post refers to my Tumblr / LiveJournal post on my coat build.

Ah yes, I believe Mr. Spock would say we humans use some strangely "colorful metaphors" :love

*Grin*
Indeed. You won't mind if I harass you with questions at some point? I have been with kittens to find some one with an original who would share details.
And though it's a bit of nit picking and other uncomplimentary habits on my part, I just want to confirm bits I got wrong and bits I got right, Excluding buttons and fabric. I knew I would never find those in Japan, really.

I seethe with jealousy, really.

Like I told another member, I don't know diddly about making clothing so I might not understand your questions, lol But I do have a tape measure. Msg me and I'll try to provide good info, Jessa. It's not like i would be breaking any trademark laws.

Here's one detail for ya, I think the main reason they are so expensive is that they come with a Short-Hair Mink Fur collar attachment which buttons on. I wish it didn't. I Hate what is done to those animals! Ad I'll never use it, to boot.

Like I told another member, I don't know diddly about making clothing so I might not understand your questions, lol But I do have a tape measure. Msg me and I'll try to provide good info, Jessa. It's not like i would be breaking any trademark laws.

Here's one detail for ya, I think the main reason they are so expensive is that they come with a Short-Hair Mink Fur collar attachment which buttons on. I wish it didn't. I Hate what is done to those animals! Ad I'll never use it, to boot.

Oh, I knew that about the collar! From the press release, and you do see it in The Great Game Episode just once - when he goes to Minsk to see the guy who killed his girlfriend. I had thought it might be beaver. Mink, hmm. Recycle shops if I want one then. Still that wouldn't jack up the price that much, I am afraid to say.

I know that you don't see the buttons for attaching the collar much in the first season, and you do in the second season more - I assume it's that the costume department just removed the buttons from one coat for the first season. In the second they must be using one of the alternate coats more - I mean, they bought three for the show, the jammy devils.

Will certainly PM you some questions! Not tonight, though. Thanks!

I never realized that about season 2. I just never saw the buttons. I'll have to go back and look for that bit in The Great Game. So much for MY powers of observation ; ]

BTW, it says Don't post anything for sale until after 20 posts. They didn't say how you have to get there. BAM! hehehe

i think the main reason it's as costly as it is (the original milford, that is), is because of the fabric used. i read somewhere that the original iss a 100% wool tweed with a special treatment process or extra something woven in that basically makes it waterproof. upon reading it, i was like "hmmm, i can see why mr Holmes would purchase such an item - he is all about the practicality". it probably also meant that the costume dep. didn't have to worry too much if the coat got wet.

of course, that ACTUAL reason it's so expensive is unfortunately simple: it's designer! :( oh us regular folk will never truly understand the privilages of owning THAT amount of money! :p

RayR: please feel free to correct me if i'm at all wrong about the material :)

i think the main reason it's as costly as it is (the original milford, that is), is because of the fabric used. i read somewhere that the original iss a 100% wool tweed with a special treatment process or extra something woven in that basically makes it waterproof. .. :)
You said it almost exactly like the description on the receipt minus 1 part...100% Irish Wool Tweed. Special weave making it water proof, etc is dead on.

BTW, it says Don't post anything for sale until after 20 posts. They didn't say how you have to get there. BAM! hehehe

I'm not really here to sell anything, although god knows enough people have asked me if I would make more. I would have to order the wool from abroad, I haven't found similar since I made mine. Not a tailor. Talented untrained amateur, I'd say. I've found a German shop that has a wool so similar it is indistinguishable to my eyes, though I'd rather see it in person. I would love attempt it again.

I'm not really here to sell anything, although god knows enough people have asked me if I would make more. I would have to order the wool from abroad, I haven't found similar since I made mine. Not a tailor. Talented untrained amateur, I'd say. I've found a German shop that has a wool so similar it is indistinguishable to my eyes, though I'd rather see it in person. I would love attempt it again.

I wasn't talking about you selling anything. You are an artist sharing your thoughts. Thats cool. I was talking about me. I have authentic RAF Greatcoats and other Sci-fi items I'm thinking about posting eventually.

As for that German wool, they should send you a sample tell them you may make a large order, perhaps.

I wasn't talking about you selling anything. You are an artist sharing your thoughts. Thats cool. I was talking about me. I have authentic RAF Greatcoats and other Sci-fi items I'm thinking about posting eventually.

As for that German wool, they should send you a sample tell them you may make a large order, perhaps.
*Head desk* Rule one. Not everything is about me. FAIL, ha.

Well, I'd sell some things too if I had to pay for the original Belstaff! Good luck with the sales, when they happen!

Debating about the wool. Do I need another coat? Do I really?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back