Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

If you're ordering the wool from overseas and find a weave that matches this coat exactly, I'm in for some yardage. I will have this coat ;)

Well, without going to the UK myself and fist-fighting some people to make them tell me where the original fabric was manufactured, i.e. the Irish makers' actual address, this seems close - though I don't know what the weight would be like.

Any thoughts? The texture seems similar, though I'd love a close-up shot of the fabric with reference to the pattern size (i.e. a coin on the fabric)

grau Wollstoff schweres Woll-Tuch für Sakko u Mantel Meterware | eBay

The maker's shop is this one, though you'll need Translate if you are like myself.

https://tolkostoffe.de/index.php

E-bay cloth name listing is grau wolstoff.

It looks pretty heavy, but it's hard to say without something like a coin. It looks a bit looser weave than the original, though. Lots of stray fibers and the houndstooth (if that is houndstooth) isn't very clear.

@jessamygriffin, after seeing your work, i must say that i'm absolutely gobsmackked! it's so professional and well thought out, i was actually staring at my computer screen for quite a while with a wide open mouth! i know you said you weren't really looking into selling...but as you're debating whether or not to make one, would it be ever so cheeky of me to ask you to PM me with what you'd like to charge for one of your gorgeous coats in an ideal world, if you were selling an' all? please don't think i'm pestering you, and you may of course tell me to get lost if i'm being to forward about it, but your coat's just too good not to at least ask :)

many thanks,
JC

I really love this Millford and I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

Alright, Ray. I do have a few questions:
I began working on a replica of the coat for myself and I'm pretty happy with the pattern I have but I would like to seize this oportunity to accurize it :lol

I used your photos and a still and quickly drew in the measurements I would like to know:

Thanks in advance :)

I began working on a replica of the coat for myself and I'm pretty happy with the pattern I have but I would like to seize this oportunity to accurize it :lol

I used your photos and a still and quickly drew in the measurements I would like to know:

Beautiful work! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I give it four thumbs up.

hey guys :) i've been watching series 2 recently, and have noticed that the coat looks quite a bit darker than in series 1. i know that on screen they're subject to professional lighting, and then the films are edited which means the colour can change...but i think the coat looks a lot less grey and a lot more black in series 2. thoughts, guys?

Okay, so I've got a friend who is sewing a custom coat for me and I need to acquire my own materials.

Granted, the original "technical fabric" is stupidly expensive, but surely there's a substitute that mimics the same fabric pattern. What is that pattern? Does anyone know what it is called? It isn't houndstooth.

Hello, generally lurk on the sight but finally registered and was wanting to get some opinions if possible. While I still want to get one of Steve Rick's awesome 10th Doctor coats in the short run I wanted to get one of the replica Sherlock coats i've found. I've just finished the 3 episodes via netflix, very good show and really liked the look of his coat. It's similar in design to the 11th Doc's coat which i've considered too but I kinda like the textured look to it and the back belt style of it.

Anyway looking i've come across two versions, one listed as a wool and one as a linen. At first I was leaning toward the linen version since it looked more to have the texured look like the show but then found better pics of the wool version and am now not sure... Not an expert on fabric or which would be more accurate/better in person so if anyone could offer up suggestions/opinions?

Thanks!

For reference, the coat from the show:
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16800000/-Sherlock-sherlock-16827594-1882-2560.jpg

The Linen version for sale:
Sherlock Holmes Cape Coat Cosplay Costume Linen Version | eBay

nEO_IMG_DSC_0986.jpg

nEO_IMG_DSC_0987.jpg

The Wool version for sale:
nEO_IMG_DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg
I don't think mentioned it before, but the close ups of that material are a remarkable match for the original. I am sitting here with The Belstaff right now comparing. I would say the pattern of black/white is excellent and the grain or weave may be a bit grainier here (for lack of a better word). The original doesn't feel like it even has a cross-pattern weave, it's just so smooth.

Nice

out of intrest @RayR, is it the linen or wool version that's closer to the original?
The one on the bottom photo. Naturally, I can't tell the exact size of the boxes/sq. in., but it looks pretty close. Mine seems to be just a bit darker in the white bits.

Hey. I'm wanting to make a Sherlock coat too and I'm being very precise about it. Since I live in the United States and having someone actually measure the dimensions based on those photos you submitted for Ray, is it possible for you send me a Word document of those measurments too!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

Hey. I'm wanting to make a Sherlock coat too and I'm being very precise about it. Since I live in the United States, seeing someone actually measure the dimensions based on those photos you submitted for Ray, is the best dream come true. So is it possible for you send me a Word document of those measurments too!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

Hey. I'm wanting to make a Sherlock coat too and I'm being very precise about it. Since I live in the United States, seeing someone actually measure the dimensions based on those photos you submitted for Ray, is the best dream come true. So is it possible for you send me a Word document of those measurments too!!!

Thank you so much!!!!
PM me an email addy I can attach a word file to. You will need the photos marked alphabetically to understand the measurements.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back