Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

Honestly? It looks like some pretty shoddy tailoring. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Sherlock coat has a waist seam, I'm pretty sure the back panel is a long piece and the darts open up into pleats under the belt. Also, the fit and structuring of that coat is costume quality.

Also, most of the details are off to varying degrees including the collar and cuff shapes, button hole stitching, pocket size, placement, and angle, and the belt.

I agree with you Risu, had a closer look over it. For the high price tag, things could be very much improved like size and placements of pockets and buttonholes.

I almost bought a Torchwood style Greatcoat from this company. After a week after I paid for it I found a real 1 on ebay And canceled the order. It cost me 125 dollars because they said they started on the pattern. Be absolutely sure before you place your order. Now I'm having a sherlock coat made and spend a little extra money to have it done by Magnoli. Their work on everything else speaks for itself

That sucks that they charged you $125 so abruptly. I wasn't going to order from them though, just thought I'd add what I found to the thread. Also had a look at Magnoli's work, more specifically the Chicago Overcoat.
I bet you're one excited man Ray! Their work is superb.

Lobo-no worries, man :) just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page! :p

as for that Denver bespoke coat...well, lets just say i'd only be prepared to spend about £60 MAX on something like that. don't get me wrong, it looks like it's a lovely coat, and it's probably been made really well, BUT...it's a little too big, floppy and inaccurate for my liking.
1. the cuffs look too big, and it's obvious that they've been turned up - sherlock's look as if they could have been stitched down, because the fabric sits so flush to the sleeve (i know that the actual coat cuffs were only turned up, but i'm sure you'll understand where i'm coming from here).
2. the colour shouldn't be plain black. i know in my pictures (and in rel life) my coat looks lighter, but it's only a bit lighter, and it has that textured look in the fabric, not just a flat colour.
3. the buttons are wrong, it should be like most generic double breasted coats where the buttons on the wearer's left hand side are purely decoration.
4. the outside pockets are wrong, and they havent incorporated the vertical breast pockets on either side.
5. the belt is too saggy at the back.
6. from what i can see, the button holes aren't stitched in red, and the buttons are wrong.

however, we must take into account that this was probably a custom design - as they state they deal with alot of custom orders and are willing to make changes to a design, so i may just be picking apart someone elses dream coat! :p also, they look as if they have included the back stretch seam/pleat above the belt, and it is also perhaps the nicest take on the pleats at the back i've seen. that picture where the pleats fan in the wind does look pretty impressive. so there are good points as well as criticisms here...i don't want anyone thinking i'm mr. negativity! haha!

I've got one that I would be interested in getting a few comments on. Sorry about the light. It's night and I had to do this myself with a tripod. I can get better ones another time if interested. But this will give you a pretty good idea of this coat.

s3-1.jpg

sh3-1.jpg

sh5-1.jpg

s4-1.jpg

Hey! Awesome coat! Do you know where the fabric came from to make this coat? I've been looking everywhere for some so I can make it myself. If you can't, can you get a close shot and post a picture of the fabric design so I can match it to other fabric else where? Thanks

I'm on my phone, but it looks nice. The one thing I might say is that I can't tell for sure if it's skirted as much as the original. It looks very Italian from the front despite the pleats.

I think with the growing popularity of the show we may see some of the Ebay sellers of these maybe step it up a notch or even see some newcomers putting these out.
I'd love for there to be more options, it is a very striking coat!

@RayR....that looks like a genuine belstaff!!! it is isn't it?! if not, i have to know where that beautiful coat came from!!! (in which case, i kinda hope its not genuine belstaff so i could afford it! :p)

Yea, I just checked it out on my computer, I didn't notice the buttons were dead-on. I think that is the Belstaff. Either that or the best repro available.

@RayR,

Come on, man, you're killing us with suspense! Is that the real deal? Everything seems to be spot on, even the buttons. It looks awesome! Please give us all the details.

The buttons are on one side of the belt and the holes on the other. It's a standard design in half-belted coats, nothing original or confusing about it. The belts are sewn in to the back side seams and the two belt pieces are buttoned together.

That is correct. I had an RAF Greatcoat like that once.

Alright, Lobo, Risu, Kalkamel, joker1, and all...you are correct.

It is the real deal.

I thought it would be fun to see how many things people would find things "wrong" with it, lol But, you guys are way too good! Amazing powers of observation. Sherlock himself couldn't have done better =)

I'll tell you a few things that I have noticed. Most outstanding...the stitching around the buttons s not red. Belstaff said that may be a BBC alteration. Also, I never see any small buttons along the inside of the collar on the Sherlock coat. This comes with a Mink Fur attachment which buttons on. Perhaps they took the buttons off for the show. Or, I just haven't spotted them.

The material is 100% wool, very soft, and lighter overall than I had expected. Much like a traditional mans overcoat you would get at a nice mens shop (but longer)

This is a size Large. They have only a few of these left. I think it qualifies as a prop replica since it is not from the set of the show. It just happens to b made by the original manufacturer.

I am also waiting on a Magnoli version of same. It will be interesting to see the 2 side by side.

No, I am not made of money, lol In fact, I am letting go of some previous collectables on eBay to help pay the credit card bill = (
I don't have enough posts to qualify to post the items them here, however.

I really love this Millford and I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

I'm glad you were able to find one.

Regarding the red stitching...I actually came across an article somewhere about the jacket. It was an interview with the costume designer. She admitted to adding the red stitching. There was another designer who originally purchased the coat for the pilot, and this lady took over for the series.

I too do not have a ton of extra cash to make purchases like this, but I somehow manage to save up just enough to buy something (I have 2 Wolverine jackets), when I could use the money for more important things. This is one I just might have to try for. But, hey, there are worse addictions, right?

That is really a beautiful coat. Way to go!

I'm glad you were able to find one.

Regarding the red stitching...I actually came across an article somewhere about the jacket. It was an interview with the costume designer. She admitted to adding the red stitching. There was another designer who originally purchased the coat for the pilot, and this lady took over for the series...

Thanks for that Lobo! Good to know. I think I'll leave it the way it is on this one. Here are some other shots you won't ordinairly see...inside.

open1-1.jpg

label1-1.jpg

And special THANKS to Doctor Who! Without his original post of the Belstaff ad, I possibly wouldn't have found this.

Last edited:
RayR...i actually kinda hate you a little bit! :p you're so lucky to have found a genuine one! do you mind if i ask if it was the *big intake of air* original £1350?

aaaand lookie what i found today:

Bottled Messages from the Far West

this is pure talent if it was made by the blog author...and i'm not gonna lie, because i first saw RayR's post and the above blog post today...i thought that maybe this person is where RayR got his coat from :p but i was right in my deductions! it IS an original belstaff! haha!

RayR...i actually kinda hate you a little bit! :p you're so lucky to have found a genuine one! do you mind if i ask if it was the *big intake of air* original £1350?

aaaand lookie what i found today:

Bottled Messages from the Far West

this is pure talent if it was made by the blog author...and i'm not gonna lie, because i first saw RayR's post and the above blog post today...i thought that maybe this person is where RayR got his coat from :p but i was right in my deductions! it IS an original Belstaff! haha!

Sadly, yes, that is the price...minus 167 BPS VAT refund, plus 75 BPS UPS Priority Mail...then a US Import charge (no one knew about) of $240! That showed up at my door. So it pretty much worked out to the list price after all.

I have purchased several WW2 Officers Greatcoats (much heavier) from UK and NEVER had that fee. But they never came via UPS if that matters.

I love that link. The guy did a great job. The material looks very accurate as do the details. I'm not going to be picky about it. I'm still quite happy to have an original. Especially since they are soon to be gone. I really don't expect to find The Milford on eBay :)

Any resources for the scarf? I'd like to see an inexpensive replica hit the market somewhere.
The sereis 2 scarf on my Blu ray looks like it has wide stripes.

Any resources for the scarf? I'd like to see an inexpensive replica hit the market somewhere.
The sereis 2 scarf on my Blu ray looks like it has wide stripes.

I would like to find one also. I have been searching on-line shopping and eBay without much luck. Its hard to even find something in that shade of blue. I don't know about the 2nd season, but this was my best info on the 1st:

Sherlock Holmes' Scarf | BBC Sherlock | Sherlockology

i really lucked out with my scarf! i was in H&M around september/october ime, looking for a scarf for my coat that i had ordered, and reading from Sherlockology (an AMAZING site, btw, they're updating it with series 2 stuff in march) the original scarf from series 1 was the only costume item there was just one of...because it's vintage paul smith. so it's one of those "more chance of winning the lottery" moments and i quickly abandoned any hope of finding the exact one right away, and just looked for a suitable alternative. i think the key with the scarf is to just get the right shade of blue. anyway, i found a nice blue, wide checked one (not too dissimilar from the series 2 scarf actually) and wore that for a couple of weeks. i later went back to H&M (my favourite clothes shop, btw :p) and to my luck i found the scarf i'm wearing in my photos i posted earlier in this thread. it was the last one left, £3 in the sale, and has just the right texture now i've worn it a bit so it looks just like the series one scarf...apart from the length (mines longer :p). i think the shade of blue is just right too and i'm so happy with it!

thinking about it...H&M is a really great budget way to get sherlock's look for alot less than the original pieces. they have great slim black suits for like £70 jacket and trousers (it's the basic black slim suit, but i think it liiks great), they have the sort of slim plain shirts in the colours that sherlock would wear - including a VERY similar reddish purple shirt that sherlock is seen wearing quite regularly - for £9.99-£24.99 a shirt, and their shoes are quite similar too.

i know that's a bit off topic, but i thought i'd share witha few Sherlock fans :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back