Sci-Fi modeling on Elegoo Mars -- Community support/tips

Almost everything he is offering is available already in the open market. There are some that are not but I have thousands of greeblies. Only ones I need are the 1/12 cars. But scanning in everything like he has been is pointless as it’s out there and water proof
If you have them would you care to share? I don't know where to find everything you mention. IF you could burn it to a disk and mail It I'd gladly pay for materials :D

Jedi Dade

Just throwing my hat into the ring, had a Mars for a month or so, haven't had the time to do much with but play with it, testing it's limits, getting used to it, etc., but while looking around the web, found this company, don't know if they've come up before, but they seem to be offering some good mod parts:

https://jacksonproducts.net/

Food for thought

I think 3D printing will be the future of modeling

If you will...,

imagine if Bandai had a site that had licensed ready to print 3D Star Wars models for sale.

You pick the subject, the scale you want it in, maybe pick some upgrade or add-ons like full interior or cutaway etc...

You have the option of having them print and send it or you get an option to print it yourself

Obviously there is a problem with piracy by just letting people download the stls, but what if there was a way you could hook your printer to a secure site through either a usb firestick like device or similar that would allow to print an otherwise encrypted file?
You get to print x-number of copies only which be a way to prevent someone printing off 10 copies and selling them
I believe all printers have USB capability or at least have a way to hook into a computer

It may not be fool proof, but it should be good enough to deter piracy for most normal people

I really hope something like this comes along

I love the idea, but I think the problem is that Bandai’s expertise is not in having really amazing 3D digital models but in being able to produce incredibly detailed pieces of plastic. So selling stls doesn’t really play to their strengths.

With places like Gambody and CGTrader already selling stls (which presumably they have absolutely no permissions from Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel etc to make money from) I can’t see a big mainstream company getting into the stl selling space at the moment.

Fingers crossed they (owners of the copyright of the models) will work out the licensing and anti-piracy issues soon though! I feel like, whilst resin 3D printers are pretty user friendly already, they would need to be even more “plug and play” before a big company like Disney starts selling stl files. From a reputational perspective they wouldn’t want tonnes of people complaining about failed prints etc. Model making communities are probably a lot more willing to accept that they need to do some adjusting to make something work than the average customer. Maybe companies will need to provide “ready to print” files for each 3D printer, with supports etc all ready to go.

I love the idea, but I think the problem is that Bandai’s expertise is not in having really amazing 3D digital models but in being able to produce incredibly detailed pieces of plastic. So selling stls doesn’t really play to their strengths.

With places like Gambody and CGTrader already selling stls (which presumably they have absolutely no permissions from Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel etc to make money from) I can’t see a big mainstream company getting into the stl selling space at the moment.

Fingers crossed they (owners of the copyright of the models) will work out the licensing and anti-piracy issues soon though! I feel like, whilst resin 3D printers are pretty user friendly already, they would need to be even more “plug and play” before a big company like Disney starts selling stl files. From a reputational perspective they wouldn’t want tonnes of people complaining about failed prints etc. Model making communities are probably a lot more willing to accept that they need to do some adjusting to make something work than the average customer. Maybe companies will need to provide “ready to print” files for each 3D printer, with supports etc all ready to go.

I think we are in a spot where this is still kind of early on. The technology is advancing at a great pace and things are getting more plug and play with each generation. This technology will also expand to more than just models eventually making it even more affordable and plug and play

If I had money to invest this is probably where I would do it.

Having a FDM and resin printer, I don't think I would want this to happen. Bandai designs some amazing models, and you can't replicate the character models with moving limbs with the current technology. Would they design models that we want? Would sites like CG Trader even exist if they do start that? In my opinion, I like things the way they are now.

TazMan2000

Having a FDM and resin printer, I don't think I would want this to happen. Bandai designs some amazing models, and you can't replicate the character models with moving limbs with the current technology. Would they design models that we want? Would sites like CG Trader even exist if they do start that? In my opinion, I like things the way they are now.

TazMan2000
I strongly suspect that CGTrader etc don’t have the license to sell their Star Wars etc models in any case, so probably a matter of time before they get forced to cease and desist selling them. Even more so if someone with an actual license moves into the market.

I strongly suspect that CGTrader etc don’t have the license to sell their Star Wars etc models in any case, so probably a matter of time before they get forced to cease and desist selling them. Even more so if someone with an actual license moves into the market.

A lot of the stuff on CGTrader is copyrighted material, as on most sites. I think a lot of models would be removed if any company pressed that fact. (I don't want to bring up a debate about copyright) But I think some companies allow it as to not upset the fanbase, and allow creativity. As soon as it chips into a company's product or sales, out come the C&Ds.

TazMan2000

Printed this Rex from Galactic Armory. Nice files. The model breaks up into 7 different pieces for printing. I'm going to clean him up, paint him, and then put him all together. Printed at 75% with water washable ceramic grey on the Mars. There is a minor print failure on the left side of his skirt, around the bottom. But I can use some apoxie sculpt to fix that.

IMG_4357.jpg

SB

Lately, I've been having issues with my prints sticking to the FEP. Even after levelling. I've been using Elegoo black resin but I"ve never changed the settings in Chitubox for the resin. I figured Elegoo black resin is the same as any other colour. WRONG! It takes much longer to cure (who would have thought, that a darker resin would reduce light transmission :rolleyes: ). In addition, I looked up articles that people were having with objects becoming detached from the supports. I guess the trick is to lessen pull force.

One way that I have been using, is to coat the FEP with a silicon type oil that dries clear. Hit and miss with that approach but it does reduce the prints sticking to the FEP considerably. But the article said to try and reduce the amount of surface area that the resin touches the FEP by hollowing out the parts. Initially I never thought that was an issue, since I wanted my parts solid, but even hollowing out my objects a little seemed to have helped and my prints are coming out dimensionally correct, without deformation.

TazMan2000

I have printed my first model on the new Photon Mono X and I am amazed by the quality of the printer. The new levelling method (in contrast to the classic photon) is really bullet proof and quick.

Till now I only used Anycubic resin in gray, clear and white for all prints. It works for the most part, but it is very brittle when fully cured and shatteres into tiny pieces if dropped. This is an issue for larger models, as I fear delicate parts will just break at some point.

Is there an alternative resin which is less brittle and a bit more like PS in terms of softness and which doesn't shatter so much? Any recommendations?

Is there an alternative resin which is less brittle and a bit more like PS in terms of softness and which doesn't shatter so much? Any recommendations?
Mixing in a flexible resin in different ratios will do that and there is also "tough" resins or "ABS-like" resin. Different brands call them different things. Check them out and search reviews by name. Elegoo Grey ABS-like is usually recommended by the miniatures printing crowd as well as 50:50 mix of normal Elegoo Grey with Siraya Tech Blu (it's flexible) for the results you are looking for.

does anyone here have any recommendations for a clear resin? i am trying to make parts that need to be clear for lights, but not necessarily clear like windows.. in the water washable resin, elegoo has transparent blue, red, and green, but no transparent "clear"...

does anyone here have any recommendations for a clear resin? i am trying to make parts that need to be clear for lights, but not necessarily clear like windows.. in the water washable resin, elegoo has transparent blue, red, and green, but no transparent "clear"...
I can report that the clear resin from Anycubic yellows a bit after curing, but is nice otherwise. As far as I have read, all transparent UV resins share this problem. Mixing in a bluish color might neutralise the yellowing, but make it overall darker.

This resin has been the most consistent, easiest to use, easiest to clean, and cheapest I've used. I haven't cleaned or replaced my fep in weeks and she's pumping out fail free prints...

Here's my most recent print, a 1/24th Scale Rancor:

PSX_20201209_002544.jpg

Both Rex and the Ranci (is that the plural form of Rancor?) look great. I have recently come realize that there are only a few things as satisfying as a perfect print.

Both Rex and the Ranci (is that the plural form of Rancor?) look great. I have recently come realize that there are only a few things as satisfying as a perfect print.
Right?! So satisfying when you Fi ally get to pull the print off and examine it!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back