ROTJ Darth Vader Graflex Stunt (MoM)(a.k.a. DV6) – by WannaWanga

This is so exciting to see, I can’t wait for my kit now.. nice work everyone

And yea, the barbican was the influence for rots however.. yea they all had black bolts, and a collar of some sort. The black bolts were just the blade system used across esb and Jedi, and the collar..I guess we can blame the MPP for that!

This is how the D-Rings came out after ~12 hours in the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar. The Kobold D-ring barely rusted. I take it these are different materials roygilsing ? How did you get yours to rust so nicely in your example build?

View attachment 1605660
I think you may be missing a key ingredient in your patina acceleration mixture?

I use the peroxide, vinegar, and salt method to rust my D-Rings. This method works pretty fast…I can get a great patina in less than an hour. The salt acts as a catalyst, from what I understand.

12 hours seems to be a very long time to have to otherwise soak your d-rings.

Last edited:
I think you may be missing a key ingredient in your patina acceleration mixture?

I use the peroxide, vinegar, and salt method to rust my D-Rings. This method works pretty fast…I can get a great patina in less than an hour. The salt acts as a catalyst, from what I understand.

12 hours seems to be a very long time to have to otherwise soak your d-rings.

Yes, salt was included as well. I also did sand/file what I could of the surface of the d-rings. One got eaten up, and the other is only slightly duller.

I have also started on my kit although I'm going to go really slowly on it since i'm too busy with work.
it's super cool to finally be putting that dream prop of mine together! I have been wanting this one since I was a kid looking at the visual dictionary!

IMG_20220807_122152.jpg

IMG_20220807_144718.jpg

IMG_20220807_155511.jpg

alright, now, this is just my opinion, and it's actually too late for me sadly, but I wouldn't put those two 8mm holes at the top of the plan. I think those are most likely small screws holding the aluminium blade holder.
I think this is Tom that first posted this, sorry if this was someone else:
Brevin-Vader-ROTJ-3bme.jpg

I think what we see here is probably two small brass screws (+1 on the other side).

again, just my opinion, but wanted to draw people's attention to this in case they want to think about it before drilling their graflexes :)

They are there. They hold the aluminum buck in place.

So, I guess this is good a time as any to say that this is the Wampa cave saber as it furthered it’s journey. Graflex, New York stamp, small knurl red button on top, has a beer tab. Had the bulb retention ring earlier on, but was later removed, small retention screws added to hold in the aluminum buck plate visible through the side port. Then bolts added later.

B95429B7-68AE-4AE7-A3A1-97A6EF6E79DE.jpeg
FA24A54C-198E-4929-9047-FD1CB0FE6E75.jpeg
B3BC6AF1-4362-4FBD-8A16-BFFDB27E5DF4.jpeg
793F895B-40D3-4D51-823C-AF1561220FC6.jpeg

Attachments

• 279B5383-2335-4E81-9A3A-6F13D6F47CE0.png
    279B5383-2335-4E81-9A3A-6F13D6F47CE0.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 95
I have also started on my kit although I'm going to go really slowly on it since i'm too busy with work.
it's super cool to finally be putting that dream prop of mine together! I have been wanting this one since I was a kid looking at the visual dictionary!

View attachment 1605690
View attachment 1605691
View attachment 1605692

alright, now, this is just my opinion, and it's actually too late for me sadly, but I wouldn't put those two 8mm holes at the top of the plan. I think those are most likely small screws holding the aluminium blade holder.
I think this is Tom that first posted this, sorry if this was someone else:
View attachment 1605693
I think what we see here is probably two small brass screws (+1 on the other side).

again, just my opinion, but wanted to draw people's attention to this in case they want to think about it before drilling their graflexes :)

I agree that it’s a screw hole of some kind. In Empire you can see what appears to be a pair of smaller black screws in these holes.

I am using round head screws to approximate this look on a ESB Skywalker Stunt Hilt I am assembling using this excellent kit. They are screwed directly into the aluminum top plate of the core and help to hold it in place during dueling, I imagine.

73C06F62-F208-423E-A092-BC11EF83F5A1.jpeg

14692F64-9CCE-4E97-9C07-407C17E8BC15.jpeg
5E22632A-2330-40C0-A501-A7863D377EF9.jpeg
FFF528EE-6700-407E-B608-F85FE0808268.jpeg

You can also see that 1/2 of the sockets in the ESB Skywalker stunts show the silver blade holder seen in the MOM Vader.

4DF7D209-17C0-4A7E-B7F5-CE18D79D7FDD.jpeg
BCBAF0DA-001D-480B-B3D1-CECC5E3FE402.jpeg

A91E96F6-707A-41DC-B4BF-06C98AC70A62.jpeg

Last edited:

So, I guess this is good a time as any to say that this is the Wampa cave saber as it furthered it’s journey. Graflex, New York stamp, small knurl red button on top, has a beer tab. Had the bulb retention ring earlier on, but was later removed, small retention screws added to hold in the aluminum buck plate visible through the side port. Then bolts added later.

View attachment 1605712View attachment 1605713View attachment 1605711View attachment 1605715
oh! that's so cool!
thank you for sharing that and sorry for the bad intel on my end, this clears it and I appreciate the fact that Roy knew this and cas able to incorporate it in the kit!
thanks

For those wondering for sure if the wampa cave bladed stunt is the same as the Dagobah and Bespin bladed stunt, check out these black marks in the edge of the emitter on the S curve and bunny ears. They are on both.

B16D9573-DFA0-4AB3-A6EF-1D637CC3339D.jpeg
10D70CC9-7866-42C0-B96D-B54139799CD6.jpeg

And prior to being a modified Graflex on Dagobah, it was a belt hanger with a thin knurl and beer tab on Hoth. So quit removing the beer tabs from your Folmer New York flashes. The beer tab removed has only been identified so far as a Folmer with Patent such as the ranch saber. More to come on that subject later. It will really screw with you.

356DE3FD-B623-4E39-AA86-AF687D375ABA.jpeg
95839EFB-C639-49A0-9B53-9ED99300871B.jpeg

And prior to being a modified Graflex on Dagobah, it was a belt hanger with a thin knurl and beer tab on Hoth. So quit removing the beer tabs from your Folmer New York flashes. The beer tab removed has only been identified so far as a Folmer with Patent such as the ranch saber. More to come on that subject later. It will really screw with you.

So… should I not start my ranch saber build?

So… should I not start my ranch saber build?

No, I think the Ranch is safe to do because we have good photos of how it looks today. If you are going for more movie/promo accurate setup, use the thin chrome tape instead of the textured and the lever was still attached. It’s a Folmer with Patent stamp. Shoot me a PM if you have questions, screw head orientation, etc.

I need to start a new thread or find a good one to add all my info/pictures to.

Yuuppp, very happy that this is now public. I look forward to the thread too

When I made my ESB bladed stunt a few years back I noticed you really needed 3 screws for the puck if you were just using grub screws. (that would include the 4-40 Graflex screw that it looks like they kept) But if they were countersunk I think you could get by with 1... who knows, they only needed a couple body bolts and they put like 7 in.

If any of you remember I matched the ROTJ Vader saber kobold and D ring to the Wampa cave one... so this is super exciting seeing the marks on the flash!!! Poor thing got modified and modified over and over....

For the graflex and kobold, I used some needle files, 240 grit sand paper, and green scotch bright. For the s-rings, I let them chemicals do the work.
Thank you for explaining

View attachment 1605712View attachment 1605713View attachment 1605711View attachment 1605715
And the teecrooz has proved it yet again! ;)

Just an observation I noticed ... now that it has been revealed that the DV ROTJ stunt started of as the New York stamped ESB stunt ... and teecrooz shared this with Roy ... is this the main reason why the rivets that I see being used now, which come with Roy's ESB Kobold D-ring (sold seperately from the DV ROTJ kit) and are larger in size, as per ESB configuration, than the slightly smaller ones that were actually used after the ESB stunt had been converted into the DV ROTJ stunt lightsaber?

DV ROTJ D-ring & Grips.jpg

Or should we be using smaller rivets in stead if we want to be accurate to how the DV ROTJ stunt lightsaber prop really is?

Chaïm

roygilsing perhaps an ROTJ Kobold + D-ring with smaller rivets should be an extra option to choose from at wannawanga?

Interesting. On the lower part I see : 1.no notches or screws / 2. screws and notches / 3. no notches or screws / 4. - wide grips/no kobold+dring(?)
1660000568527.png

Last edited:
Here is a shot I meant to post earlier to show the aluminum buck. The bulb retention ring is missing at this point and foam grips were added.

View attachment 1605859

Good eye—I see that the ears are still there but the spring tension bulb holder ring is missing.

89E11532-8AA0-419D-A0E9-AB5304408FDA.jpeg

This is the same hilt seen here with the tension ring missing but the ears intact.

3FA44F08-DF5D-42CA-BAFB-E8EFE0DCA2A0.jpeg

They likely removed that part for ease of access when removing the blade.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back