Rocketeer Cirrus X-3 Rocket Pack Build

Just when I thought this thread was dead, I've reactivated this long dormant project. After about 15 failed attempts to replicate the results achieved by Valor for the bottom central vent tube, I gave up and got a 3D printed center section. The rivets were actually printed on but I sanded them all off and drilled holes so I could add real rivets. I used Smooth-On XTC-30 to smooth out the print lines and then hit it with about 4 coats of filler primer. All of that plus a LOT of sanding and I'm pretty happy with the result. It feels so good to be working on this project again!
Pack01.jpg

Nice, I like that one better. I got the Do3d one and it's really wide. Is that a sharable file? View attachment 1004281

That's a good question. You'd have to contact Aaron Hurd and ask him. I've been in contact with him via Instagram @El_Rocketeer. He's very responsive and I've purchased a few parts from him such as the upper radiator and speed blisters.

I made a little more progress this weekend. I got the nose cones fitted and I drilled 156 holes for rivets. The nacelles need some more cleanup but it's nothing a little filler won't fix. Also, the rivets seen in the background of these photos are not the rivets I'll be using. I'll post a photo of those soon. The pop rivets are only for attaching the engines to the inside of the nacelles.
Rivet Holes 01.jpg
Rivet Holes 02.jpg
Rivet Holes 03.jpg
Rivet Holes 04.jpg

I’ve been friends with Aaron for a few years now.. since before he started modeling his jetpack parts... he really is a great guy, and puts a lot of time, effort, and love into every thing that he makes. When it comes to his work, everything is great!

I’ve been friends with Aaron for a few years now.. since before he started modeling his jetpack parts... he really is a great guy, and puts a lot of time, effort, and love into every thing that he makes. When it comes to his work, everything is great!

I couldn't agree more. The quality of his work is top notch!

I made a little more progress this past weekend. I sanded and primed some more and added a coat of zinc chromate to the interior of the nacelles to simulate the color of vintage aircraft frames. It's not canon but I thought it might look cool. I have also started wiring the electronics and sound board that I got from Valor. I was originally going to have a spinning fan but opted for a static fan with a big speaker behind it. I figured it was a good compromise.

Update0519_01.jpg
Update0519_02.jpg
Update0519_03.jpg
Update0519_04.jpg
Update0519_05.jpg
Update0519_06.jpg

Oh man. I love the green on the inside. Never seen anyone do that but it’s awesome. And yeah, I sacrificed a fan for a speaker too.

Oh man. I love the green on the inside. Never seen anyone do that but it’s awesome. And yeah, I sacrificed a fan for a speaker too.

Wow! Thank you! Once everything is all put together, it won't show much but I thought a hint of zinc chromate would be visually interesting and help tell the story of this prop.

Do you know what an idiot I am? I'm looking through your pics here thinking "Gosh, I really love the look of this kit. I like the lines, I wonder which kit this is." Then I realized the cones, rockets and center piece were casting I sent you :/ .... I like it becasue it reminds me of MY pack :) Seriously about the Zinc Chromate. I'm considering tearing my pack apart to do this! And it doesn't matter if most people can't see it. I spent a tone of time detailing my rocket engines only to hide them inside.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back