Revell 1:29 X-Wing?

Yeah, I bought one over the summer to get back into modeling, and just finished painting it a couple of days ago to a standard I'm happy with.
It was a very easy kit to build, had to do some sanding and filing to get everything to fit properly though. The detail isn't great, it's pretty soft to be honest, but with a good paintjob it can look very impressive because of it's size.
I'd only recommend getting it if it's on sale or something; I managed to get mine for £30 so I was happy with the deal.

yep,dirtybrush is spot on.i've built it but not painted yet.
if u love x-wings and want a nice size kit i recommennd buying one as well.

Yeah, I bought one over the summer to get back into modeling, and just finished painting it a couple of days ago to a standard I'm happy with.
It was a very easy kit to build, had to do some sanding and filing to get everything to fit properly though. The detail isn't great, it's pretty soft to be honest, but with a good paintjob it can look very impressive because of it's size.
I'd only recommend getting it if it's on sale or something; I managed to get mine for £30 so I was happy with the deal.

Thanks for the review!

Would love to see your finished work, along with anybody else's..

I'm working on one at the moment.
The box stinks since it only opens on one end, so have an extra box on hand to keep parts in.
The plastic is very thick so get a pair of Snips to cut the parts from the sprue. The plastic is thick but fairly easy to trim with knife.
Don't worry about the inside missiles, you never see them when it's closed up.
Also since it's a snap tight make sure you drill out the receiving holes a bit if you want to test fit then glue the parts.
Once they are snapped in they are not coming apart.
I'm using regular liquid plastic cement "Plastruct Plastic weld" which is working fine.
From what I can tell it's not a very accurate kit to start with so I decided to have fun and not drive myself nuts worrying about making it too accurate.
I'm upgrading the kit a little bit with extra styrene parts and wire.
Mostly in the cockpit and on the recessed panels on the inside wings.
I also drilled out the front torpedo tubes and put some tubing and a panel cover made out of tin.
I may cut in some extra panels and add some open boxes with details.
Still trying to figure out what to do with the pilot figure. The pilot isn't very good.
Hope this helps some.

I did one last year. Many more pics here: http://maxx-replicas.jimdo.com/projekte-2011-2015/revell-x-wing-v1/
and some "making of" pics here: http://maxx-replicas.jimdo.com/making-of/revell-x-wing/

jWIE7fD.jpg

67DU2DI.jpg

6Ro2Jf9.jpg

wOxNuhg.jpg

The promised pics have arrived.
I went heavy on the shading in order to emphasise the soft detail, but this meant that it turned out a little darker than I would've liked.

Attachments

• 12395560_10153585535767013_887968866_n.jpg
    12395560_10153585535767013_887968866_n.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 617
  • 12404579_10153585535852013_132875763_n.jpg
    12404579_10153585535852013_132875763_n.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 557
  • 12404646_10153585535817013_451816013_n.jpg
    12404646_10153585535817013_451816013_n.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 12421361_10153585535932013_1945570764_n.jpg
    12421361_10153585535932013_1945570764_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 620
Thanks for posting the pictures guys. Just goes to show what I've always held to - that is; it is the paint job that is most important and a masterful paint-up will nearly always trump and more or less compensate for low or poor detail.

Homecine, I'd like a copy of your pic that shows the three fuselages in comparison. Is that a possibility?

- - - Updated - - -

In this image, the fuse that is fifth from the right is a paper cut-out of what I though was the correct size of the model this thread discusses.

Here's this again... Not sure how well it fits (or is applicable) to this thread though.

View attachment 567144

Last edited:
Do you mean this pictures ?

- 1/24 Cpt. Carboard Studio Scale X-Wing
- 1/26 Hasbro "Electronic" X-Wing
- 1/30 Revell Easy Kit X-Wing

-> http://i.imgur.com/ygGT6N8.jpg
-> http://i.imgur.com/goexs7Q.jpg

Yes - but the request is actually less important now (though thanks for posting). I looked again, and had mistook the studio scale fuselage for the Revell. Hence my paper cut-out in my own image appears to be right on..

Again, nice work on the model!

Ordered one - its on the way.

Now just need to decide if I want to do Red 5 yet again in a new scale, or do another mark.

Last edited:
I built this a while back when they could only be found from outside the U.S. I did a review video of the model after I finished it. I basically built it straight out of the box with very little painting, so you can get an idea of what it looks like before any real work is done to it. Personally, I really like the model mainly because of it's size. If you want a large X-Wing but don't have $400.00 bucks for a studio scale resin kit, then this is your only option. Here is a link to my youtube video:

It's not an unboxing, or a build log. It's just an after construction look at the model and my impressions, and opinions of it. My thoughts: Get one if you like X-Wings, however if you are a rivet counter you will be disappointed by the detail. It's no Bandai, or Fine Molds, but I still like it alot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Order one - its on the way.

Now just need to decide if I want to do Red 5 yet again in a new scale, or do another mark.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I've only ever done one Red 5, and that was for a diorama I did with a snap X-Wing back in 2000. There are so many X-Wing kits out there I want to build and the challenge becomes which version to do on each one (Red 2 I've already done as a FineMolds, Red Leader will be a classic MPC kit and Red 3 likely will be a Bandai offering).

Yeah, I know the feeling. I've only ever done one Red 5, and that was for a diorama I did with a snap X-Wing back in 2000. There are so many X-Wing kits out there I want to build and the challenge becomes which version to do on each one (Red 2 I've already done as a FineMolds, Red Leader will be a classic MPC kit and Red 3 likely will be a Bandai offering).

I have crazy aspirations of having a collection of each of the main marks (1, 2, 3, and 5) in all available scales . But that is about 20 X-Wings, without including ALL those smaller scales!

Comp021.jpg

I could do all four marks in Studio Scale (or close). I've already done Red 5 in the Hasbro FX toy conversion. Then I have:
--One more Hasbro
--Captain Cardboard kit
--Salzo
--Maxi-Brute

I suppose this kit is the next largest, and I have the one, but not sure I want to spend $300 on three more kits.

Then you have the earlier and slightly smaller ERTL electronic bird which I have completed one as Red 5 AND have three or four more unbuilt kits. So in that scale I could represent all four marks, but the kit requires a lot of mods to make it look somewhat decent.

At that point you have the original "classic" scale we all built as kids in the late 70's, which is a pretty cheap kit and I suppose cost effective (or at least not cost prohibitive) if you want to do multiples.

Other than that you have a couple cheap, pre-painted snap kits, the smaller ERTL kit, and the Fine Molds 1:72 (not cheap).

Note there is no Fine Molds 1:48 represented here, nor the Bandai kits. Would love to add them to my photo here, but I presume the 1:72 and 1:48 kits are the same size as the others (though seeing the subtle differences I suppose is the point of this photo). But not wild about dropping nearly $100 on the Fine Molds 1:48 kit.

Last edited:
I built this a while back when they could only be found from outside the U.S. I did a review video of the model after I finished it. I basically built it straight out of the box with very little painting, so you can get an idea of what it looks like before any real work is done to it. Personally, I really like the model mainly because of it's size. If you want a large X-Wing but don't have $400.00 bucks for a studio scale resin kit, then this is your only option. Here is a link to my youtube video: https://youtu.be/riiNm_cA8cQ

It's not an unboxing, or a build log. It's just an after construction look at the model and my impressions, and opinions of it. My thoughts: Get one if you like X-Wings, however if you are a rivet counter you will be disappointed by the detail. It's no Bandai, or Fine Molds, but I still like it alot!

Nice review and thanks for posting!

Did I catch you say you have two? Thoughts on posting a picture of your FM 1:48 fuselage (if you haven't built it yet) next to this one, similar to my photo?

Nice review and thanks for posting!

Did I catch you say you have two? Thoughts on posting a picture of your FM 1:48 fuselage (if you haven't built it yet) next to this one, similar to my photo?

Yes, I do have 2 of them. Is there any such thing as too many X-Wings? I think NOT!! :) That would be a good comparison shot. I will dig out the FM 1:48 and take a pic of it next to the 1:29 fuselage and post it shortly.

Nice job guys!!!

A chap just asked me for some 3D upgrades for this 1/29 X-Wing... I've just released the nozzles.
I will try to design the droid strip also.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back