MPC-Ertl 1/43 X-Wing Red 5

Necronaut

Active Member
Lots wrong with this kit, but not everything got ‘fixed’.
Metal rod laser cannons, fixed the lower hull shape, rescribed the hull, flipped the engine cans so they’re the proper way around.
I used moffeaton’s Red 5 studio model for most of my paint reference work. ‍
IMG_9932.jpeg
IMG_9934.jpeg
698D328C-EF83-4C6F-AE8C-493F8A6CF780.jpeg
IMG_9936.jpeg
 
What changes did you make to the lower hull shape?
It looks like he fixed the undercut on the bottom where it begins to slope down (under the cockpit area); on the MPC model "as-is", it cuts in on a slight upward angle instead of flattening out. I had to do the same with mine (along with fix the wing mechanism, but didn't notice the engine cans until now).
 
Last edited:
What changes did you make to the lower hull shape?
Sorry, I just noticed all the replies!
The kit as received has a weird v-shape about halfway down the hull (not the slight keel that should run lengthwise along the lower hull…) right under the front of the cockpit hatch.
I just sanded it flat, and reinforced the thinned plastic from inside with stock styrene sheet.
 
Sorry, I just noticed all the replies!
The kit as received has a weird v-shape about halfway down the hull (not the slight keel that should run lengthwise along the lower hull…) right under the front of the cockpit hatch.
I just sanded it flat, and reinforced the thinned plastic from inside with stock styrene sheet.
Yeah, I think they over-compensated for how it starts to flatten out; they probably got that idea from watching the Battle of Yavin scenes and didn't consider the effects of perspective.
 
:rolleyes: They had the model in their possession to create the kit.
Did they actually?! That’s pretty disappointing to hear. This kit leaves a lot to be desired for accuracy.
Maybe they were more interested in making a toy alternative to the Kenner X-Wing? Maybe time to market was of the essence? Who knows…
 
Perhaps they worked making the kit masters and had to rely on photos they took when they had access to the ILM models... very easy to do if not really meticulous with your research (as Tamiya always seems to do with their 'mapping' of the 'originals'...)
Ah well, certainly makes a modeler out of you! HA!
R/ Robert
 

Attachments

  • MPC_T67_2.jpg
    MPC_T67_2.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 45
  • MPC_T67_1.jpg
    MPC_T67_1.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 41
Sorry, I just noticed all the replies!
The kit as received has a weird v-shape about halfway down the hull (not the slight keel that should run lengthwise along the lower hull…) right under the front of the cockpit hatch.
I just sanded it flat, and reinforced the thinned plastic from inside with stock styrene sheet.
Yes, I see what you mean... I had to go run take a look at my old MPC build to confirm but it's there. I never knew that wasn't supposed to be there, nice catch!
 
Indeed it does! Necronaut did an outstanding job (I especially like the level of weathering...) and after having built the beast, I *really* appreciate the amount of effort expended. I kept the moving foils, but had to build a solid 'hinge' and 'socket' for it, which was quite challenging, not to mention all the improvements to the mounting of the cockpit, fixing the nose 'warp', adding a droid 'pit, blaster cannon mounts, extra detailing & greebling on the foils and the aft bulkhead (to recess it and improve its fit...). It isn't perfect but I'm very happy with it. As they say, it isn't the tool, it is the tool wielder!
;^)
And I can honestly say, I had fun!!
R/ Robert
 
One thing I learned during this build was you could use a Sharpie marker to apply a mark and then 'chip' it using a bit of Scotchbrite cleaning pad or a knife tip. The marker ink dries hard and fairly brittle, so it abrades very nicely. This is how I applied the blue stipes on the intakes...since the markers come is a wide variety of colors, including three 'metalics', it can be quite useful at times.
Cheers!
 
One thing I learned during this build was you could use a Sharpie marker to apply a mark and then 'chip' it using a bit of Scotchbrite cleaning pad or a knife tip. The marker ink dries hard and fairly brittle, so it abrades very nicely. This is how I applied the blue stipes on the intakes...since the markers come is a wide variety of colors, including three 'metalics', it can be quite useful at times.
Cheers!
Thanks for that rbeach48! I'll try that ASAP(y)(y)
 
I found on the ROTJ version, the plastic that the model was made of was particularly soft and structurally unsound for anything that had to take repeated stresses (such as the s-foils meeting the pivot joint). After seeing them weaken and break during the build, I cut out the entire mechanism and custom build my own, going from the center pivot all the way into the wing blocks:

100_0685.JPG
100_0688.JPG

100_0690.JPG
100_0691.JPG
100_0700.JPG
 
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back
Top