Revell 1:29 X-Wing?

Things are going to shift to even smaller scales now that Dragon has announced they are doing a 1/144 T-65 X-Wing (and a T-70). Prior to that, I counted no less than 12 different licensed scale X-Wing kits that have been released over the years. The smallest are the ones that come with the Hoth and Rebel Base sets (and even though the wings and guns were simplified, they did have proper scale fuselages) and the biggest one to date is the Estes Maxi-Brute. Then you have the various resin ones to make it even more interesting. Yes, one can not have too many X-Wings!

BTW PHA, if you wanted to "cheat" and do a different X-Wing that isn't Red 5, you could just split the wing stripes in half, paint the pilot a little different and call it Red 10, which as I recall used the Red 5 studio model for most of the effects shots.

I have this kit... with the Green Yoda box... in the stash waiting for it's day.

I plan on upgrading it a lot, but specifics of what I'll do will come as I start the build. Until then, I'll just keep looking through all the x-wing build threads for ideas.

Sorry if this is a stoo-pid question, but the Maxi-brute is larger than the Hasbro X-Wing "Heros" toy recently sold through Walmart (& Target) stores?

R/ Robert

Sorry if this is a stoo-pid question, but the Maxi-brute is larger than the Hasbro X-Wing "Heros" toy recently sold through Walmart (& Target) stores?

R/ Robert

You mean the new mega-huge X-Wing toy? No - nothing else is near that large.

XW30 002.JPG

Apologies for the phone pic - might help to picture size though:)
L to R: Revell 1/29, ERTL 1/42, Fine Molds 1/48, Revell 1/69, Revell 1/112

IMG_6899.JPG

The thing is huge compared to every other X wing kit I have - about the same size as REL's concept X...

View attachment 585256

The thing is huge compared to every other X wing kit I have - about the same size as REL's concept X...

Dig it! Thanks for posting the picture. Really like the weathering on your 1:42.

I was surprised to see that the 1:29 is only a nose longer than the Pro-Shop (not in your pic), and in turn the Hasbro toy is only a nose longer than the 1:29!

View attachment 585256

Spacemunkie, you should reshoot with a soda can in the picture (or some other readily recognizable object) just to relay what the absolute sizes are for these kits.

Very pretty collection, BTW.

Regards, Robert

SM! Excellent, thanks.

I've found knowing the scale is one thing, but having something that illustrates the scale directly really gives a picture of a model impact. This brings to mind, in the paper modeling community, the standard 'gag' about an image of a tiny, tiny model sitting next to a coin, which appears gigantic next to the model - until you see the 'coin' is also a (greatly enlarged) paper model. More typically, the modeler will include a standard 'scale unit cube' which is simply a paper cube printed with a checkered pattern of blue & white of one inch (or centimeter) squares next to their work. My favorite however, for small subjects, is the 'giant's hand':
Examples>
[http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-b3eJb_VFB.../RhNC4cmpuGQ/s1600/Model-plane-3-620x465.jpg]

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/111860.html

R/ Robert

Last edited:
Galactican, that's it exactly! Yours looks a lot better than the one I did in 1/48 scale... is that NinjaToes' kit?

Too funny, Robn1. Say, did I already ask if you're going to the Old Dominion Open this month?

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back