Lazureus

Wanted to try my hand at getting a project finished for Starfield BEFORE the release of the game itself..

So in this thread will be my work on the Refined Eon Pistol coming up in the Starfield game.

PistolProfFront.png

Of course the major issues were finding enough good quality images to take measurements.

before I found a scene in the Starfield Direct video showing the use of Iron sights with this gun, I was unsure on the measurement of the width of the firearm.
Using elipses on the front barrel via the above image, I guessed at 40 mm for the width.. with the Iron sight image.. I was only off by 3 mm.

Anyhoo... at the end of Day One, I am finishing today with the basic sketch done in Fusion 360 and a start of the model worked on.

06.25.23.01.png

Hope you enjoy the progress as much as I am in making this new prop!

Busy day today so I was only able to get a little bit done today.

refinement of the handle, the start of the upper slide.
And of course remeasuring the how thick the gun should be... the iron sights image gave me the wrong measurement of 43mm with is a little too big.

PistolIronGrip.png

Remeasured from the barrel again and got a better measurement of 37.5mm instead, so im going that direction.
06.26.23.01.png

I'll be looking for some 25 to 27mm wide strapping to use on the rear of the gun soon.. I have some stuff I can order, but I may find some locally for cheaper.

Got most of the major elements marked in now.
06.30.23.01.png

Big question Tho..
Should I make a full Magazine?.. or leave it for a post game release version and just glue the magazine base?
07.01.23.01.png

I'm happy with both but think to do a version 2 once I have all the features correct.

Update! Seems I'll do a version of the full magazine anyway.. due to the fact the bullet the in Universe firearm uses is as small as it is.

07.01.23.02.png

Last edited:
More work figuring out the Magazine issue, set on making it happen now.

Measuring how long its going to be with the theory of 12 rounds stacked vertically.
07.02.23.01.png

Feels right.. then just a quick measurement on how it fits into the current handle.
07.02.23.02.png

Last issue before going forward will be to figure out that latching system under the loop of the Magazine for the release mechanism.

Mechanics Time!

Want to make sure everything that needs to move, will move freely and accurately!
07.05.23.01.png

versus its reference.
PistolReload.png

Thinking.. do I cut into the lower section?.. or flatten the curve of the shroud at the hingepoint? (blue flag)
Personally I think cutting into the frame itself to make it feel like it was designed that way... not sure yet

Also finishing up how the Magazine will look.
07.05.23.02.png

Still a long way to go, but I feel good at the timeline.

With regard to your magazine design, is the grip wide enough to hold a double stack of ammunition? In many modern handguns the ammunition is in two slightly (vertically) offset columns. In this design one side of the ammunition sits half a diameter higher than the other side so that one cartridge nests slightly between two cartridges in the other stack. The double stack is only slightly taller than a single stack and is less than twice as wide. The top of the magazine then narrows to alternately funnel one cartridge from each side into the chamber.

With regard to your magazine design, is the grip wide enough to hold a double stack of ammunition? In many modern handguns the ammunition is in two slightly (vertically) offset columns. In this design one side of the ammunition sits half a diameter higher than the other side so that one cartridge nests slightly between two cartridges in the other stack. The double stack is only slightly taller than a single stack and is less than twice as wide. The top of the magazine then narrows to alternately funnel one cartridge from each side into the chamber.
Absolutely agree!

I did go with this design though, due to the in game model only holds 12 rounds of a very small bullet. Allowing them to be stacked vertically.
Also, due to this version will only be made from UV ABS Resin, I did wish to overbuild the handle to both feel good in the hand and to reduce fragility.

I was totally mulling over doing a staggered design as you suggest, and probably will for a post-release high cap mag design. I will be playing around with mold-making and lighter/stronger materials.

There's also this modded pistol with a high-cap mag.. drum.. thing as well.
PistolWMods.png

Quick update.. just working on the Shroud/Barrel clearance.
BarrelShroud.gif

Whats cool is the in game model already has what looks like the same clearance cut-out for the barrel:
07.06.23.01.png

Etching testing for all the text and labels needed.. These should show easilly on the Saturn 2 I believe.
07.08.23.02.png

Also another Quandry.. Trying to figure out the Magazine Release..

Theoretically there is quite a bit of room to work with.. but I need something that is going to be strong enough to keep the magazine attached during usage ( if necessary).
07.08.23.01.png

Quick mock-up figures on making a nice TPU fitting to both have the strength and flexibility to secure the Magazine
07.10.23.01.png

There will be one on either side to hold it in place and to release it.

Just waiting on a M2 Helicoil tool and some screws before finalizing how the hinges work. then its ready for printing!

This project has already been great fun and a hell of a learning tool

I may redo the recycle logo etched on the battery as it is very thin vs the real thing.

Fusion360 vs in-game model

07.11.23.01.png
PistolProfFront.png

I also picked up some super cheap suspenders to use for the strap on the butt of the gun. I feel it will be a great match.. just a touch wider then the model.

suspenders.png

15 hours to go for the last two pieces!!!
07.20.23.01.png

Tempted on reprinting the handle pieces as I changed the printing time from 2.5 seconds per layer to 3 seconds per layer.. making the part WAY more stable while printing. No more warping around the support structure.

I'll keep these and just make the second one with better parts after seeing what work these pieces need first.

Very happy with the Etching on the Battery so far.
07.20.23.02.png

Lots and lots and lots of sanding still to go..

I have to break out my rotary tools to reshape the Magazine channel as it seems to be way smaller than intended, and it will take forever to manually remove enough material to just get it snug.

I have to remember that, when painting, I will be adding material back onto the prop.
07.25.23.01.png

I can at least hold onto the prop in mostly one piece now.. which is Awesome!

I did have to reprint the handles, as the ones printed at 2.5 seconds/layer were quite warped, compared to the 3sec/layer that the rest of the parts are made from.

This is awesome!!! I actually have started modeling this pistol as well! The saturn did a great job with all the details!

Small update with some things I've learned so far with this project.

08.21.23.01.png

Here's what I've learned so far:

1) Having the proper tools for cleaning your airbrush tools is a must.. a good brush remove the trash.
-Oddly enough a clogged nozzle really hurts productivity.. (newbie mistake)
2) Measure 5 times before starting your model..
-Apparently... I made the gun about 15% - 20% too big.. Hand Cannon version?
3) Spray the Rubber paint LAST!
-Plasti-Dip and masking do not play well.. learning!

I haven't played the game yet but your replica looks really nice.
In the game is this an energy weapon or a projectile based weapon?

I haven't played the game yet but your replica looks really nice.
In the game is this an energy weapon or a projectile based weapon?
Projectile using a caseless round.. My guess is it needs to vent off built up heat while reloading.
What I love that in game, the shroud only opens if you do NOT have a barrel mod attached.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back