Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

if anyone has attempted trees, let's see them!!!! :) Michaels has a huge assortment of miniature ornaments that are perfect for the trees.

Dave

I think I'm going to attempt one tonight, if I can get to the store to buy the felt. It's literally on the other side of town...

I did however get the red felt and a rigid paper mâché egg from Hobby Lobby to start on Santa. While I don't have the necessary woodworking skills to carve the head from balsa, I will be sculpting it in oil biased clay and making a urethane or silicone mold (whichever I have more of), to make a rotocast resin head.

When it comes to the hands, what is the glove material? It almost looks like the stretch knit part of my sock... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Here are a few updates to my puppets.....

Hermey's hat with feather, Santa's head with mustache armature, and body puppet made with wooden egg-cut off, wire arms legs and neck.

HermeyHat.jpg

santaprogress.jpg

woodeneggbody.jpg

When it comes to the hands, what is the glove material? It almost looks like the stretch knit part of my sock... Any ideas?

Here's a nice shot of Santa's glove, in addition to one of his face and beard. You're right--the glove material is sock-like.

What do you all think the original beard was made of?

Pumpernickel

glove.jpg

santaFace.jpg

The material is called a knit. That photo makes the material look huge like a sock, but keep in mind that santa's hand is only 1/4" square. So it's a very tight knit. If anyone can figure out how to make flexible wire filled hands, let me in on it.

Dave

He had SMALL HANDS..hhmmm

Carve hands out of clay, MOLD them, then cast them in Silicone with WIRE embedded.

Easy.

maybe 1/2" I scaled it on paper, but don't have it here at work.

You'd be surprised what can be done on a machine. There are entire Barbie wardrobe patterns available. These are machine sewing patterns. You can change the stitch length on a standard machine. That makes the sewing pretty tiny indeed.

Dave :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back