Ralph McQuarrie 1/24 Studio Scale 3D Printable Concept X-Wing

Enohado

Hello, I would like to share my McQuarrie concept X-Wing. I saw someone who designed one years ago but as it usually works, they were limited kits and long sold out/impossible to obtain, so figured why not make one. (Also I think the designer sold the files to EFX? Who in turn did nothing with them in the end, oof.)

This is still a WiP, S-Foils are static in attack position but might change them so that they can open and close. Will feature full cockpit detail as well as landing gear if I modify the S-Foils to close. Since only 2 paintings of this design were made, lots if improvisation is required, so I am open to suggestions and ideas as to what looks good, what I should add/tweak etc.

Attachments

• MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (2).jpg
    MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (2).jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 573
  • MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (3).jpg
    MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (3).jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 400
  • MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (4).jpg
    MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (4).jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 338
  • MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (5).jpg
    MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (5).jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 357
  • MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (6).jpg
    MCQUARRIE XWING COLLAGE (6).jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 337
  • XWING.jpg
    XWING.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 510
Looking really good! My only concern, some of these details and panel lines might be a little too small even for 1/24, I'm afraid they are going to be barely visible. Hard to tell until it's printed

Looking really good! My only concern, some of these details and panel lines might be a little too small even for 1/24, I'm afraid they are going to be barely visible. Hard to tell until it's printed
Yeah, also I think the panel lining is a little overdone, McQuarrie's designs were usually very sleek and clean. I like to think this design would have had it's panel lines penciled in onto the model, similar to how the TOS Enterprise model had it's panel lines drawn onto it with pencil.

WOW, i have been waiting for someone to do this for the same reasons you mentioned. it really looks good IMHO. Love it :love: watching

Incredible work. Do you really think that having the wings segmented in that manner would be the best to print? I'm thinking that you should have accommodation for some kind of metal support perhaps that could be glued in between the wing halves.
Castable resin tends to sag after a while, especially with something a little.e heavier on the end, like a laser gun with a metal spar. So I'm assuming that 405mm curable resins will as well.

TazMan2000

Incredible work. Do you really think that having the wings segmented in that manner would be the best to print? I'm thinking that you should have accommodation for some kind of metal support perhaps that could be glued in between the wing halves.
Castable resin tends to sag after a while, especially with something a little.e heavier on the end, like a laser gun with a metal spar. So I'm assuming that 405mm curable resins will as well.

TazMan2000
Yeah I was considering that. I think I will add in a void to the wings so you can insert a steel rod for extra support, I feel that will help keep the wings nice and straight.

the way i would want to build it the only things i can think of would be a trench to light the engines (maybe something in the cockpit), and to separate the greeble at the end of laser, i would make my lasers from brass or aluminum rod. i could do both of those things just the way it is too. so very happy your doing this!

Yeah I was considering that. I think I will add in a void to the wings so you can insert a steel rod for extra support, I feel that will help keep the wings nice and straight.
Perhaps even two in parallel. This way the wing can be printed upright in sections (for people who have smaller printers) and each of the sections would just slide onto the parallel rods with perfect alignment.

TazMan2000

TazMan2000
405 nm stays straight when well cured! Have a few pieces here to attest to it.

405 nm stays straight when well cured! Have a few pieces here to attest to it.
Probably whatever the recipe that makes it brittle makes it resist sagging. I'd like to see your example and what resin you used. Several factors may cause resin to sag. Thickness of the part, length of the part, shape of the part, type of resin, ambient temperature of the room, whether the part supports another part, what kind of light it was exposed to while being displayed, etc. Since resin printing is fairly new, we don't have a lot of evidence on how long it maintains its properties.

TazMan2000

Hello, I would like to share my McQuarrie concept X-Wing. I saw someone who designed one years ago but as it usually works, they were limited kits and long sold out/impossible to obtain, so figured why not make one. (Also I think the designer sold the files to EFX? Who in turn did nothing with them in the end, oof.)

This is still a WiP, S-Foils are static in attack position but might change them so that they can open and close. Will feature full cockpit detail as well as landing gear if I modify the S-Foils to close. Since only 2 paintings of this design were made, lots if improvisation is required, so I am open to suggestions and ideas as to what looks good, what I should add/tweak etc.
Great x wing! Do you have the 3d files available?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back