QMX Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol Replica

Polystone will break if you drop it, I believe they use it because it picks up small detail, I would rather have a resin version over polystone, or even the dreaded metal version we've been promised.

Wont the metal version run for over $1000? Is the original resin cast a good replica of the prop? More accurate than this one or less?

Gut feeling is its the same master and tooling being used for this "polystone" version. And to clear up any future discrepancies, "polystone" is a filled resin. It picks up no other details than any other resin or plastic, its just inexpensive and the stone filler adds weight. Being redundant, this will be a great display piece but not something to be handled or costumed with. Its not a toy and isnt made to be one. Its made to sit on a shelf and look nice. For the money it cant be beat for a finished display ready item.

shdl,

There are one piece static resin castings out there called the "Phil" casting named after the person that offered them from the original mold. Those are as close to the Firefly version you will ever get as the original live fire hero guns were both permanently modified for the film. The original Firefly guns no longer exist in their original form. The Phil castings have been skyrocketing in price as of late. That ship for them sailed long ago.

Thats where both the Model 47 and the Model 47a come into play. They are as close to the original Firefly version anyone will ever get minus the aforementioned static resin Phil casts. Both were offered in very limited runs, were all metal, working trigger, wood grips... The Captain himself owns one. QMX had the chance to offer the 47a but for whatever reason thats anyones guess, chose not to. It was a completed, in hand, full metal, working trigger, accurate as can be replica ready to go into production.

There are a few other kits out there on ebay and the SidKit which is potmetal. Ive never handled a Sidkit so I cant really comment on its accuracy but the ebay kits are not very accurate.

For international shipping on the QMX polystone Mal replica, you need to ask QMX directly. Nobody here can give you a quote, only the seller. Its a great display piece.

Has anyone heard anything about this? This was the prop that got me into the hobby, and I've yet to get my hands on one...

IIRC, they were pretty accurate with their timetables on the ST Phaser, maybe they will be with this as well...

"Preordering will start in Q1 2012."

So maybe summer or in time for the holidays.

Yeah, if you mean holidays 2014, or so. :lol

Well to be far, they have been doing a little better with the whole time line thing. On some items anyway.. They said around Xmas for the LDH Serenity, and sure nuff it was seting on my shelf not long after that. I think they were early on the BDH Kaylee, and other items in the last year or so, have roled out around the time they said they would. Then again, there are a lot of items we were promised half a decade ago, and we are still waiting on. (Light up Stargate, full metal Mal pistol, and I'm not talking about some cheepo metal plated Polystone thing, etc.)

Well it is still Q1 2012 for another month and a half, so we will see. [/SIZE]

Last edited:
My thoughts are whether it's resin, polystone, or fiberglass . . . don't drop your collectibles.

Yeah, some materials are more durable than others, but I never want to test them.

That said, I've always loved the look of this pistol and just used Sideshow's $25 off Valentine code and ordered mine for $54. Doesn't sound bad to me.

On Feb 29th, the official QMX Twitter account said:

Haven't signed up for the Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol waiting list? Now would be a good time

Perhaps something is brewing...

I just got an email today about this:

On March 2, 2012 at 9 a.m. PST (Pacific Standard Time) we will start taking preorders for the Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol Replica. Because you signed up for the waiting list, we want to offer you 10% off if you preorder your Mal pistol by Monday, March 5.

Simply enter "METALMAL" in the "Apply Coupon" field in the shopping cart (just below the list of products in your cart). Here's the link to the order page: http://store.qmxonline.com/product.asp?itemid=160

We're also giving you a chance to act early before we announce preordering to the general public on Monday.

Years of development have gone into creating this entirely new, non-firing replica of the iconic sidearm carried by Captain Malcolm Reynolds of the Firefly-class transport, Serenity. Using a mold of the original stunt pistol carried by actor Nathan Fillion, we've created a highly detailed piece, from the grips to the trigger to the barrel.

Don't miss out on this shiny replica, complete with a black display base and two "floating" acrylic risers. We expect to start shipping the Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol Replica in late March.

Stay shiny!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back