QMX Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol Replica

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Serenity, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Saw this pop up on the QMX Twitter feed today. Of course, I would still would prefer a full metal version but this is pretty affordable... Thoughts?

QMX Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol Replica

Cast off of movie stunt version, comes with display stand.
    ETA: Q1-ish 2012 (Pre-ordering opens then; no timeline set for actual release.)
    Price: $79.95

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow thanks for the heads up! what a great price!

3. 101radioman

101radioman Well-Known Member

Believe it when I see it. The first one they did was advertised as Metal also.

4. Deathstalker II

Deathstalker II Well-Known Member

Well now, Radioman - this is just PLATED. Probably very lightly. And it looks to the very same replica they've been selling for TWICE the price.

Of course - it would have been better if it was the FIREFLY version, but that would mean they'd have to produce something NOT made of paper...

5. Deathstalker II

Deathstalker II Well-Known Member

Also - and let me put this in my QMX TRANSLATOR...

"Sign up for our waiting list below. Preordering will start in Q1 2012."

TRANSLATE...TRANSLATE...

"Shipping Q4 2014"

6. Sundowner

Honestly though where are you going to get a fairly accurate Mal?

- Wilco's aren't accurate and I'm not sure if he produces them anymore
    - Arsenal junk/RECASTER
    - Phils cast, if you can find one
    - Qmx Stunt, again if you can find one
    - Sidkit..Pssh I've been trying for a long time :)
    - Model 47, better luck hitting the lottery

So I'm not going to actually poo poo on this. Plus this is one step closer to a full metal Firefly version.

7. ronski

ronski New Member

Wish I knew about this a few weeks earlier. I just spent alot of time and money buying replicas that just weren't right because I couldn't find a QMX.

8. pennausamike

pennausamike Sr Member

Yeah, wot he said.
    Plus, for eighty bucks, I wouldn't feel bad taking a shot at hacking one up to create a pretty nice Firefly version.

I have a lot of sour grapes feelings about QMx/Firefly props in general/the Mal pistol in particular,
    but I'm not going to say anything bad about a decent replica with an $80 price point.
    That is about what I feel the Firefly/Serenity prop market will bear,
    and that is a comment on the rather lukewarm state of Firefly/Serenity prop collecting,
    not QMx's products/marketing/pricing.

My biggest problem is as it has been with all of QMx's latest Firefly/Serenity releases;
    I already have it if it's a prop, and I don't need more paper rolled up in tubes stuck in a cedar chest.

Mike
    My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
    SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

9. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

NICE!

Finally a metal.... er... looking Mal Gun

Hopefully this one will sell good and they will do the Firefly version

10. backof

backof New Member

Aside from the metal plating and the price, what's the difference between this and the other stunt replica that's now sold out?

11. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with casting but why do they use polystone so much? The polystone QMX stuff I have feels way more brittle than resin and to me for a prop that will more than likely be used for costuming and hence is very apt to be dropped, this makes no sense.

12. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

Polystone was probly chosen due to its low part failure rate en mass, its cheap and it has added weight over plastic or "resin". Its a display piece and for the advertised $80, its not going to be beat. Just wished the inaccuracies were fixed for a change but as mentioned, for the price its not going to be beat.

I believe the reason the Firefly model isnt available is because it simply does not exist in physical form anymore. Both live fire pistols were modified, idealized and rebuilt for the film. The only way to offer a close representation of the Firefly model would be to reverse a first gen Phil casting. The shrinkage wouldnt be any more an issue as even the movie models QMX offers are castings of castings before they hit mass production. On top of that the front section of the movie version had to be heavily reshaped on the casting QMX was given. QMX was also given false information that the casting they were given was "screen used". It was a pull from the mold and as mentioned, reworked then painted. This is one of the reasons for inaccuracies.

QMX did have the chance to offer a full metal Mal Firefly pistol (a turn key production at that) but they chose to stick with seemingly dumping money into another makers unfruitful project. That existing metal Firefly Mal could have easily been modified into the movie version as well.

13. Mercury

Mercury Sr Member

Polystone also has crisp detail. Unfortunately I feel if I dropped my QMX Phaser it would shatter into tiny pieces. For the price, however, I'm more than happy with it. I'll be getting one of these if and when they do release them.

14. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

It's true that the price can't be beat. At that price, you can afford two, one to display and one to costume with and drop :lol.

15. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Ill wait for Jayne's revolver..

16. MacRican

MacRican New Member

This makes me happy because my QMX Mal pistol has simply vanished and I am highly upset by this. Now I can get a replacement :)

17. baldwind

baldwind Guest

Thank you for the Heads up!

I have a QMX Version, but would love an all metal version.

Baldwind

18. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The phaser was great. Best value on any replica offered by a company i.m.o. and if they can pull off the Serenity Mal the same way I'm happy.

19. kursosawa

kursosawa Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know nothing about polystone, so will these actually be suited for trooping and such?

20. pennausamike

pennausamike Sr Member

From Google:
    I imagine it is a little too brittle for costuming,
    tho' maybe the polyurethane resin gives it some resiliency?

Mike

21. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

Ok, lemme give you some info...

Polystone is primarily used in Asia (which, I would surmise is where QMx is having these made.)

China, specifically, sits on vast deposits of limestone. So, it is CHEEEEP. They mix regular old resin with up to 30% crushed limestone and make castings out of it.

This extends the volume of the more-expensive resin component, lowers the exo-therm, (so the molds last longer) and decreases shrinkage a bit.

The drawback is that it makes the castings very brittle and generally, they will shatter like glass if dropped. The resin they use in China is inferior to many of the materials we use here in the States.

At MR, we tried to get the factory to use better resin with little to no filler. We even made arrangements to buy it here in PA and have it shipped over to China. They REFUSED to use imported materials. That was a long battle that I ultimately lost.

China: 1
    Steve: 0

China does things THEIR way. You adapt to that or you don't get no product. Simple. They have been making cheap stuff for decades and they don't want anyone messing with that formula. It works very well for them.

That is why you can get a 12-inch statue made in China like $10. Maybe $20 if there are a LOT of paint application steps and assembly. Obviously, the price increases rapidly if you add accessories, display bases, cloth details, machined parts, electronics, etc etc...

Plating adds a few bucks to that depending on the surface area of the item to be plated. BUT the plating they apply, is generally no-more than a vapor-coat. It is electro-statically applied to the castings as they pass through a chamber.

It is NOT the multi-step, dipped-copper-then-several-coats-of-chrome application that is on say... Endo skull replicas. That process is MUCH more expensive and tends to fill in details. That is why most Asian factories use the cheaper plating process.

I polished my QMx phaser and the plastic polish ate through the plating in about 1 second. You have to be very careful with this stuff!

As ALWAYS...you GET what you PAY FOR...

ps: The Franklin Mint came up with the made-up term: "Tesori porcelain" to impress potential customers. It was just cheap polystone. Just like "Cabochans" are just melted, cast glass. Franklin Mint was a total BS factory, and they were GREAT at it. They could sell snow to Eskimos. (To the tune of $700mm per year, at their peak).

It is all just resin mixed with ground limestone. Nothin' fancy-pants-like. :)

There ya go...

(QMx...please feel free to correct me on any points if I am in error. I don't want to give out false info...)

22. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

As correct as you are Steve, the bottom dollar is sales. $80 is right where the average Joe will open their wallet and start handing over money. With shipping and such, thats the magic $100 mark. I personally find it silly QMX will offer something they have already offered. When that first offering is done, the second offering should be a high dollar collectors piece thats super accurate with moving parts. Yet in between those two another item in the same range should have been offered. Just makes me keep scratching my head at what they are doing over there at QMX.

23. pennausamike

pennausamike Sr Member

You answered yer own question at the beginning, Rob.
    If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times;
    QMx is a swag company, not a prop company.
    And, near as I can tell, they're making good money at it.

Basically, the new Mal pistol is another maquette.
    That and posters are the backbone of QMx's Firefly/Serenity product line.
    All I ever wanted was an orange-dead-fish-BDM-Serenity Jayne Tee and a
    symbol-for-water-looks-like-a-beetle-on-the-shoulder-Firefly Jayne Tee;
    but it ain't lookin' too good....

Mike
    My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
    SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

24. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

And there in lies the mystery. Simple projects are not undertaken that are guaranteed sellers yet an item is released twice? I really hoped for more from QMX but opportunities came and went. There seems to be two levels of items at QMX, super high dollar studio scale models and gift certificate impulse buy items while at the supermarket.

25. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Just like so, so, many here, and well pretty much everywhere else, I have been one of the first to bash QMX, and there product. But I have to say I'm becoming a convert.

I used to think there prices were unfar, there product was less the great, and it really bothered me that they didn't take Paypal, or have anything like "lay away". I have found only recently that they do take paypal, and many other non-credit card options, and, at least for now, they do have "lay away". (I realize that those things aren't really problems for a lot of folks here, but for me, who has no credit card, and not a lot of money, those are a big deal for me.)

Plus, I'm coming around on there pricing as well.

Do they have a bad business model. YES! I mean what they hell. They are always saying "get them wall they last, this is a very limited run" and then turning around and releasing those same items again. They say and item is going to be out on this date, and then if it ever comes out, it's years, and years later. Etc. etc. etc. I mean, did no-one there go to business school....scratch that, does no-one there have any common seince. (Oh, what I forgote since is the one thing that is not common any more. :( ) If nothing else has no-one there noticed what happened to so many other prop replica companies that have when the way of the Dodoes. (MR. Icons. Creation, etc. etc. etc. who all died for lesser mistakes then what QMx has made)

Yes I wish they would do more props, but a lot of folks have got out of firefly collecting, and the handful of use that are still in it hard core, either already have most of the props we want, want props they would never do because they wouldn't reach a large enough crowed, are found items, or are items we just plain wouldn't want.

I mean, look at a Pal for instance. Do most of us already have at least one replica of one. Yes. Is it a found item. Yes. Would that cause them a lot of trouble trying to get the rights to produce them. Probably. If they could, would there be a market. Yeah, a very, very small group of use that actually watched the show close enough to notice them, want them, and even the it would depend on price. That is so true of so many of the props from firefly/serenity.

Yes they could do more of the guns, and costume stuff like that. But all that takes away from the equation, is the found item problem. There still just isn't the market.

You do a sexy river statue. No it wont fit into the collection of everyone on the prop side of collection, but it will reach a few of them, and for the much larger crowd of fans, that either don't collect props, or didn't pay that much attention to the show/movie, it is an easily recognizable item at a good price.

So, do I want them to do more props? Yes. Do I expect them to? Not at all. Do I like the other nicnack stuff they are doing? Heck yeah. At least it's keeping the franchise a live, and ketching the eyes of new fans that may not want props guns laying around. I mean, a Jayne's town poster, or t-shirt sure goes easier into a Dorm room, or teenagers, or kids birthday, or christmas list, then a full metal gun replica, no mater how sci-fied up that gun may be.

I do wish they would do 6", and 12" action figures of the who crew, but they are not a toy company in the strictest since, so I shall keep waiting, and hoping that someone else does.

Ok, Ok, enough ranting about QMx in general, to the mater at hand. I am very excited about this particular replica. I have wanted one of their resin stunt Mal pistols for many many years, not, but never seemed to have $150. when they came around. (plus I didn't know they took paypal, back when they offered them on their site) I have waited and hunted hard for one. Then a couple days ago, I see that I not only get a second chance, but it comes with a stand, and metal plaiting for almost half the price. Heck yeah I want one. Yes I wish it was actually poly resin, and not Polystone, but I troop as the firefly mal, and I have a resin one for that. I just wanted a good representation of this version to set on a shelf, and look pretty, and I think this will do this very, well. And unlike the Phaser, any imperfections, like little dents, and such, just added to the character of this piece. (with in reason, and of course I would prefer it had non, but i coould live with it much better on this prop, then the phaser)

I'm really looking forward to this.

26. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

I've not kept up on all the talk on the QMX pistol inaccuracies, so forgive me if this has already been answered in detail, but other than the trigger guard, trigger and that plug in the front of the barrel, what inaccuracies does the QMX hold compared to a screen used Serenity pistol?

The price is definitely more than agreeable and I'll definitely try to snag one and just do the fixes to the three areas I mentioned, but would love to hear about what else should/could be fixed.

27. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

The trigger guard was thickened with sheet wax when molded for the film. This is standard fare for things such as this which is why the QMX offering has a thicker trigger guard. The front magazine section and front end as already stated had to be reshaped due to the mold being trashed since it was molded improper with the thumbscrews in place. If anyone got a Phil casting of the Firefly version, you may know what im talking about. The thumbscrews on the QMX version are also wrong and as mentioned, the barrel insert is off as well.

Its not by fault of QMX as seems they were told the casting they were given was a screen used piece when in fact it was a pull from the already damaged mold years after the film was completed. I did however personally show the powers that be the differences on the real deal compared to their version but its gone ignored. In reality, close enough is more than acceptable for retail. Thats not said as a poke but realistically the 99% dont know the difference, its an assembly line item, good enough.

As ive already stated, for the price, if it happens, the $80 piece will be a great display item. Just dont drop it.

28. Too Much Garlic

Yeah, the trigger guard is an easy fix. I'll have to check the reference to see whether the front end and mag front is an easy fix too. The thumbscrews will definitely be harder, unless someone decides to make the accurate ones available again - I take it they are the same on the Serenity pistol as they were in the Firefly!? I was lucky enough to get some when they were originally offered for my Phillipes Firefly cast, but wasn't prudent enough to get a second set, just in case.

If you are able to show the difference here or by pm, I'd definitely be interested in seeing it.

29. Sundowner

Check with Rob. I bought a few sets of metal thumbscrews from him for my replicas.

30. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

Thing is, the Firefly version and the Serenity version are two different thumbscrews. Save me the trouble of hunting down old pictures and info:
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/oilcan-pistol-mals-serenity-gun-67650/#post947193

Youll notice the thunbscrews, one is short the other long. Thats because one is a FF and the other a Serenity version. The knurling, the tip, the size.... all different from the FF tv version.

31. Too Much Garlic

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. Never noticed before. So... Rob = robstyle for the thumbscrews?

32. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

TMG, if you need the metal FF thumbscrews, drop me a PM.

33. NickB

NickB New Member

I guess as people have said - you get what you pay for. Yep I would willingly spend $1000+ for a screen accurate model - alas my wife would divorce me about 25 seconds after I pressed the 'purchase' button and the lawyers bills would add a bit to the price. For the money QMx are charging and for sitting on my desk beside their phaser this version will do for me! I have a practical question - anyone know what the chances are of getting it past UK customs? I emailed QMx (who replied virtually straight away) that they had exported many of the original versions without problem - any thoughts?

34. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

They have and have had people on their payroll that know accurate from inaccurate. Andy just chooses to ignore his craftsman and resources.

35. redbouche

redbouche Member

Any word on an actual release date on this? Q1 is a fairly large target. Thought maybe after the new year dates may firm up.

36. SirNedKingsly

SirNedKingsly Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Im on the pre-order for this and the dates have not dropped yet. I am pursuing this as a display piece - it will look nice in a shiny display box with maybe some cleaning tools and a paper prop owners paper.

37. shdl

shdl Active Member

Really waiting for this. Just finished watching Firefly and love this prop. How inaccurate is it? Is it worth the $80 price tag?

38. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Read the thread from the start. Everything you need to know has already been mentioned. :)

39. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

Karl Derrick of the Firefly Archive answered that question over on the Fireflyprops.net site.

"To produce a Firefly TV version would require some investment. Kind of ironic that I have a full set of moulding master patterns for a Firefly resin Mal pistol, just sitting here." - Karl Derrick

QMx had Karl on their payroll awhile back and didn't make one.

40. shdl

shdl Active Member

Think this is gonna be my first prop! Will these props actually break if you drop them? How much would shipping be internationally?

41. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Polystone will break if you drop it, I believe they use it because it picks up small detail, I would rather have a resin version over polystone, or even the dreaded metal version we've been promised.

42. shdl

shdl Active Member

Wont the metal version run for over $1000? Is the original resin cast a good replica of the prop? More accurate than this one or less?

43. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

Gut feeling is its the same master and tooling being used for this "polystone" version. And to clear up any future discrepancies, "polystone" is a filled resin. It picks up no other details than any other resin or plastic, its just inexpensive and the stone filler adds weight. Being redundant, this will be a great display piece but not something to be handled or costumed with. Its not a toy and isnt made to be one. Its made to sit on a shelf and look nice. For the money it cant be beat for a finished display ready item.

shdl,

There are one piece static resin castings out there called the "Phil" casting named after the person that offered them from the original mold. Those are as close to the Firefly version you will ever get as the original live fire hero guns were both permanently modified for the film. The original Firefly guns no longer exist in their original form. The Phil castings have been skyrocketing in price as of late. That ship for them sailed long ago.

Thats where both the Model 47 and the Model 47a come into play. They are as close to the original Firefly version anyone will ever get minus the aforementioned static resin Phil casts. Both were offered in very limited runs, were all metal, working trigger, wood grips... The Captain himself owns one. QMX had the chance to offer the 47a but for whatever reason thats anyones guess, chose not to. It was a completed, in hand, full metal, working trigger, accurate as can be replica ready to go into production.

There are a few other kits out there on ebay and the SidKit which is potmetal. Ive never handled a Sidkit so I cant really comment on its accuracy but the ebay kits are not very accurate.

For international shipping on the QMX polystone Mal replica, you need to ask QMX directly. Nobody here can give you a quote, only the seller. Its a great display piece.

44. shdl

shdl Active Member

But is the resin stunt replica that QMX originally offered a more accurate pistol than the current one?

45. Too Much Garlic

From what I've seen and heard and what Robstyle is saying is that it is exactly the same pattern.

46. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Yes, it's exactly the same as the resin one they offered before, it's just plated.

47. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I just want 2 of them one to have on a shelf as a collectors piece , and the other as a , gift to..... myself......Im happy.......

48. shdl

shdl Active Member

How much was international shipping for the stunt replica? Can anyone remember?

49. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

email QMX and ask for a shipping quote.

50. shdl

shdl Active Member

they said they wont know til they have the weight and dimensions of the product:(