Pimp my Probe Droid? One more day to go!

Re: Pimp my Probe Droid? Update on page 7

That's great Guy !

But Im sure if you have some free time you could use Tamiya compound to polish them and get a mirror result ! That is what the guys use to do they model cars !

Say, Lee, I love that micro-panavise base you're using. Where did you get that from? I did a search for Panavise and get a bunch of companies selling different kinds of connectors and holders... but I don't see anything close to what you're using. Appreciate any info you can give me!

Alan

arc, its just the base from a micro Panavise, simple as buddy! Ill have a look around for you but i was trying to get one for Guy, and have had no luck as yet.
All the bases i have with me are square as it seems Panavise changed them at some point to round ones...grrr lol.
Ill get back to you on it though, Guy, still looking for ya buddy, no joy as yet, but i have a "cunning plan"...ill let you know once i get a ruler out.

Oh and cracking job Guy, wonderful weather job as usual, lovin' it!

lee

arc...check out the evilbay, Panavise part number 846-06b, thats the one you want buddy and there are some on there now my good man lol.

lee

No worries Alan, its a good solid option buddy, much better than the hole 'n' rod type deal, just wind out your existing 'vise knuckle thread and screw the base in....shazam lol.

lee

Thanks to Lee, this beauty is now on its stand & fully assembled, I've just got to tweek a few bits but that wont be for a week or 2 as I'm only home for one night. I have to say now its all together I do feel like its put me in a unique club, these things look stunning & we should count our selves very lucky to own one. Out of all my SS stuff its my new Fav, I'll post the all singing dancing pics when I get back. Thanks to all that helped & encouraged me with this build but a really big thanks to Lee, cheers bud.

Thats great to hear Guy, pics man, pics lol. Thoughi know your schedule is wayyyy loaded right now sir!
Mine, well its still just a body and head lol, guys doing my acrylic base have just been a pain in the butt to deal with, but soon as he's all togther ill take some decent shots!
Cant wait to see it all built up Guy, mine has taken the mantle as fave piece too, there just so dominating in a room lol.

lee

Well its been a while & I have eventually got home & took some quick shots of where she's at right now. Still not 100% finished but I got a chance to start touching up the weathering, one more day & she will be put to rest for good. Still got to work out what base to use for her this is just a temporary base for now.

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

I'm still really glad that I decided to go for the on screen look, I just dont have the skills to do the how she looks now "Brown" It just amazes me when I see some of the pro paint ups & how you guy's really nail it. She doesn't look too bad though :love

One fluke that has happened, is when I've been removing some of the dust wash, its polished the dull coat slightly so from a distance it does give it a real metal shine but up closer this disappears to show the under detail as a bit more textured, in the long shots you can see its a bit reflective but not in the close up of the head? Never planned it, cant change it but do love it. Thats always the case with me though......god knows what would've happened if I hadn't used Deck Tan in the mix??????????

Last edited:
Hey Guy,

stunning work ! It looks fantastic.

One hint: To get the black "eyes" real shiny you can do this (i did it to my Vader helmet):
Take a very very light sanding paper and sand all of the very small dents in the color structure. It has to be all supersmooth and flat.
Than take car polish an polish it until you got a great mirror effect.

Philip

Ive never noticed there were orange area on the prop !

Very nice work Guy, I hope the weathering is coming along well !

Cant wait to see this master piece completed. :)

Top banana Guy, awesome job, hey i did get mine mounted today, ill get pics sorted for ya, just got to solder up the JST's for the lighting in the AM!
Love the plaque too buddy...huge thanks on that one!

lee

Hey Guy,

stunning work ! It looks fantastic.

One hint: To get the black "eyes" real shiny you can do this (i did it to my Vader helmet):
Take a very very light sanding paper and sand all of the very small dents in the color structure. It has to be all supersmooth and flat.
Than take car polish an polish it until you got a great mirror effect.

Philip

Hi mate, this is all in hand but thanks for the tip. I used to make guitars & had to get a glass like finnish on the lacquer. I've thrown loads of gloss coat on them so I can cut it back & polish. Just need the time to get it done. I'm off to Tokyo this week but am hoping to have it done before I go.....fingers crossed:love

Ive never noticed there were orange area on the prop !

Very nice work Guy, I hope the weathering is coming along well !

Cant wait to see this master piece completed. :)

Thanks J, I think its finished, just got to polish those eye's then I'm 100% done. Will be a week or so before I can post the final pics but I'm pretty chuffed with it considering how much stress it caused me at the start.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back