ORCA scratch build

@flimsy, you most probably know this already, but if not, that tool box in the photo you posted above is a Craftsman. I just found a very similar, or same, version on eBay. Even has very similar amounts of patina on it.

I don't think we're supposed to post eBay links, but here's the listing number: 126330725976

the thing that is still kicking my butt is the cage size and the deck planking. every time I think I've got the planking size sorted the cage doesn't fit
right, I redid the FSpy of the cage from a different picture that got me closer but its still not right.
IMG_3414.JPG

originally used this shot but its got a strange distortion that might have misled me.
extra stills orca_1.1.1.jpg
switched to this shot and got
what I think is a much more accurate dimension.
cage scale Fspy.JPG

it's just 30 plank is wider than the cage height, I know I gain 1.5" because of the way the sides a stacked but it's still not right.
IMG_3238.JPG

blender ORCA 38 ft.JPG

Oh well, I have time before the warm weather arrives so I'll keep trying.

Perspective on Hooper is looking down on him, so he will appear taller in the "window" of the cage.

I think your drawing (3rd pic in post 842) looks about right to me.

Seems like the grating at the bottom looks like re-bars you use in concrete construction. Hooper is not crouching; the cage is in the water on the side of the boat.

heres images from the Jaws exhibition were the original barrels are next to the damaged actual cage from the movie, you might be able to extrapolate the cages size from the barrels pictured next to it.

Seems like the grating at the bottom looks like re-bars you use in concrete construction. Hooper is not crouching; the cage is in the water on the side of the boat.
That was my first thought but the dimension line up exactly with the deck planking and I could find any manufacturer that makes steel mash at that size. I agree that no crew member asked to make the cage would custom make steel mesh if you could buy it.

Last edited:
flimzy, it's such a treat to watch a pro do her work and give us mortals the opportunity to look over your shoulder, thank you.....
Thank you for your kind comment. You know how much respect I have for the quality of the work everyone here achieves . My professional work is far easier than what you guys do. The ability to accurately recreate props and models with the passion you all do is inspiring. There’s not one of you that couldn’t do my job.

heres images from the Jaws exhibition were the original barrels are next to the damaged actual cage from the movie, you might be able to extrapolate the cages size from the barrels pictured next to it.
Thank you I’ll try to fspy that picture and see what happens

as I've tide my anchor to the deck planks being 3-1/8" that leads to a mash size.
cage mesh.JPG

Getting the cage right is important as it gives the transom size rear deck length and window height ( floatation tanks)
cage with drafuss 2.jpg
I'm going to jump back on the model for a bit this still feels a bit narrow but I have to keep reminding myself not to rely on screen grabs over
actual photos as the Anamorphic distortion makes everything unreliable

I presume all this CAD work compared to just getting on and building is a bit boring. but it is great for me when looking back. My first build I just woke up one morning and started drawing as I went, the only goal was to make something I could shoot on a lake. this time I'm consumed
by trying to get it as close as I can. I have so much more to call on now, "Always another project" video of his build has been great for helping
confirm my cabin Dimensions. I had to get some hardware so I could confirm the latch hooks in to the padlock hasp and the plank count is still right.
hasp.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG
I'm getting to the point when dimensions self confirm with other dimensions which is a good sign. but its too soon to be happy with everything

rear transom locker.JPG

I presume all this CAD work compared to just getting on and building is a bit boring. but it is great for me when looking back. My first build I just woke up one morning and started drawing as I went, the only goal was to make something I could shoot on a lake. this time I'm consumed
by trying to get it as close as I can. I have so much more to call on now, "Always another project" video of his build has been great for helping
confirm my cabin Dimensions. I had to get some hardware so I could confirm the latch hooks in to the padlock hasp and the plank count is still right.
View attachment 1792260
View attachment 1792259 I'm getting to the point when dimensions self confirm with other dimensions which is a good sign. but its too soon to be happy with everything

View attachment 1792261
20240221_154928.jpg

All your Great references pictures Filmzy got me thinking. I'mmmmmmm pretty close. And you are so right, this is so much fun.

1708552864389.png

So, are you thinking the (brass?) hook protruding on the left would hook into the hasp slot? I would not assume so, because when the hasp is hooked that way, the door can still swing away from the wall, and not remain fully open (plus the banging in high seas).

Perhaps that is what was done/intended, but it does not fit with what I would consider "reality", which we all know this is not...

Food for thought, I guess. I suspect the brass hook serves some other purpose- perhaps to hold the table up, or... who knows, since it was a modified vessel. Its purpose may have been eliminated in the conversion, but the detail remained?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back