Spaceship from Concept Art -WIP Scratch Build- UFP RV Montgomery Scott

Thank you Joberg, stevielewis, Katsu and JediMichael for your comments!

Indeed it was a lot of cutting, but no more than anyone else on this forum that has built a large vessel.
I feel the effect will look good when lit from behind..

Jedi- Spot on analogy.

Now that you mention that.....
I remember "piano rolls", which were paper rolls fed past a row of slots in the upright portion of a piano,
where air was pumped thru, and keys depressed themselves. And driven by foot power!

PlayerPianoRoll.jpg

After posting that, the thought of the piano rolls came to mind, like, THATS what I was really thinking of.

Always love to see a scratch built....anything, as its always interesting to see how someone overcomes any obstacles in the way, or someone here from the RPF helps in a really great way.

When I joined just over 10 years ago, I didn't even know what styrene was and was using posterboard and cardboard.
Now I've made some pretty cool stuff that I'm so grateful for the help from here.

Moving to the back to work on the stern and propulsion .

The engines are "dollar store" plastic Easter eggs 62mm X 45mm (2.44" X 1.77"). I found Crest toothpaste caps to be a perfect fit for the back end. After sanding, I started to trim the exterior with styrene H-channel and narrow flat strip.

17 east egg engine start.jpg

I also applied some very narrow strip on the interiors, using paper templates to keep them relatively straight.

18 lines engine interior.jpg

Everything glued in place.

19 Engines complete.jpg

The 3 engines will be mounted on the last bulkhead. I'm detailing a .04" (1mm) styrene sheet, which will be laid directly over it. I also have other plates already started. Whenever I get frustrated, stumped or bored, I work on those concurrently with the main project.

20 Engine bulkhead.jpg

Engines being test fit ....unfortunately they cover a LOT of the detailing.

22 engines test fitting.jpg

For engine lighting, I found this 2 meter (6.5 ft.) roll of 5 volt USB driven RGB+ white LED strip on sale for $3.00 USD. Probably opened box, and returned. It contains 44 RGB and 44 white LEDS. I can harvest all the LEDS, and use them as I please..

23 LEDRGB  strip cheap.jpg

I cut away 3 LEDS from the roll, and built this box to contain everything in a small package that could be mounted as one piece.. I kept the original LED tape mounted resistors, and added additional resistance in order to drop my power supply voltage from 12 volts, down to the required 5 volts. This box should prevent most light leaks too.

Wired just the blue section of the multi-color LED.

24 Engine blue LED.jpg

The "blue" light box will be mounted behind the last bulkhead to illuminate the engines.

25 Blue LED test fit back.jpg

Till next time...

Moving to the back to work on the stern and propulsion .

The engines are "dollar store" plastic Easter eggs 62mm X 45mm (2.44" X 1.77"). I found Crest toothpaste caps to be a perfect fit for the back end. After sanding, I started to trim the exterior with styrene H-channel and narrow flat strip.

View attachment 1810709

I also applied some very narrow strip on the interiors, using paper templates to keep them relatively straight.

View attachment 1810710

Everything glued in place.

View attachment 1810711

The 3 engines will be mounted on the last bulkhead. I'm detailing a .04" (1mm) styrene sheet, which will be laid directly over it. I also have other plates already started. Whenever I get frustrated, stumped or bored, I work on those concurrently with the main project.

View attachment 1810712

Engines being test fit ....unfortunately they cover a LOT of the detailing.

View attachment 1810713

For engine lighting, I found this 2 meter (6.5 ft.) roll of 5 volt USB driven RGB+ white LED strip on sale for $3.00 USD. Probably opened box, and returned. It contains 44 RGB and 44 white LEDS. I can harvest all the LEDS, and use them as I please..

View attachment 1810714

I cut away 3 LEDS from the roll, and built this box to contain everything in a small package that could be mounted as one piece.. I kept the original LED tape mounted resistors, and added additional resistance in order to drop my power supply voltage from 12 volts, down to the required 5 volts. This box should prevent most light leaks too.

Wired just the blue section of the multi-color LED.

View attachment 1810715

The "blue" light box will be mounted behind the last bulkhead to illuminate the engines.

View attachment 1810716

Till next time...
I love this led setup and your greeblies are awesome!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back