GHOSTBUSTERS FIREHOUSE Scratch Build

Carlb

Hello friends,

Welcome to a 1/87 scale scratch build of the Hook & Ladder #8 station, located at 14 N. Moore Street in Manhattan, otherwise known as the Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters.

The firehouse was built in 1903 in the French based Beaux-Arts architectural style, common in the U.S from 1880 till 1920. Features of this style include an oversized first story, arched windows, symmetry, and other classic details.

Hundreds of fan photos exist on-line, many were high resolutions images that should give me the opportunity to blow up the details..

1 Firehouse Exterior Side.jpg

2 firehouse side.jpg

3 Firehouse Main door.jpg

My son in law, a huge fan of the 1984 film, suggested the project to me, and the model will be gifted to him.

It's a popular tourist attraction for movie fans , and even today, the firefighters inside sell Ghostbusters themed merchandise to benefit the NY Fire Department.

You Tube modeler Dave Hourigan (Dave's Model Workshop) happened to display his own build of the firehouse recently, and I emailed him about the CAD plans he drew up for his project. He gladly sent me PDF copies, which saved me the time and effort of generating my own.

I reduced Dave's' (larger than 1/48 scale) plans to 1/87 scale. Based on Google satellite images, the prototype perimeter is approximately 25 ft X 75 ft.

By 1/87 standards, the actual dimensions are large, approx. 10 1/8" long, 3 3/8" wide & 7" high. I started taking my own measurements.

4 Plans.jpg

I'll be using Monster Modelworks wood brick sheet for highly visible areas....

5 MMW Brick sheet.jpg

And Vollmer styrene brick sheet for the rarely seen, nearly blank, alleyway left side wall...

6 Vollmer brick sheet.jpg

And Evergreen styrene sheet and strips for the many masonry finishes, moldings and decorative elements....

7 Styrene group.jpg

Beginning the build.... next time...

Sweet project! I had no idea the building was still around, will have to visit next time I'm in NY. Just assumed it had been bulldozed for luxury condos and/or a Starbucks.

Thank you Katsu, JediMichael, Joberg and Attirex for following along.

The firehouse had fallen into disrepair some years ago, but somehow New York found the money to restore and update the structure.
I will be recreating it as it appears today, not as in the film. Apparently, fans still walk by every week for a typical selfie.

Appreciate all the thumbs up!

There are 17 windows, and only 5 will be commercial units from Tichy. The remaining 12 will be scratch built of styrene. I made a jig to assemble & glue all the different sizes I need. Since these are all set in masonry walls & to match the prototype, I made the frames much wider and deeper than usual.

9 Window jigs.jpg

Ready for a primer coat of black...

10 windows ready for primer.jpg

The substrate for all four walls is .05" chipboard. Testing window and door locations here...

11 windows on chipboard.jpg

The 2nd and 3rd floor windows in the front wall are 9 individual units each. I also built a similar jig for them.

13 Large front window.jpg

Both units now ready...

12 Both front windows.jpg

The alley wall requires some guess-work. I built up the bump out with wood and card, and am covering it with the Vollmer brick sheet. These sheets are small, so a few splices must be made....

14 Blank left wall.jpg

I braced the walls, and then built out the inside top to provide each wall some "thickness". Built up the chimney form too. I used more Vollmer brick sheet here. It's .057"(14.5mm) thick, so I don't recommend it for a wall that needs many window cutouts. The flat roof will be mounted just underneath.

15 wall thickness top edge.jpg

Till next time...

I printed a photo of the front door in 1/87 scale to get the shape of the door frame, and traced that onto ."04"(1mm) styrene sheet.

17 Front door drawing.jpg

There are actually two arches, one structural, the other decorative. The bottom, or first layer was .010" (.25mm) styrene. Each side was run long and then sanded down to a 45 degree angle at the corners. I'll build the door later on.

16 Front door buildout.jpg

Windows were then glued into the chipboard substrate.

18 wall windows loaded.jpg

The front, right side and back chipboard walls were glued together. The left side (mostly blank alley wall) was held in only temporarily. I also built a "temporary" roof and floor, to keep the carcass as square as possible.

19 Glue together.jpg

Finding a suitable color for the non-brick masonry was difficult, and I tried 21 different recipes. In the prototype photos, depending on the time of day, season, sunny or cloudy, they all look like a different shade! .... I compromised and finally settled on the third one in the top row....

20 Color test chart.jpg

I fit and glued the first floor wall .040" (1mm) styrene sheet to the chipboard....

21  1st floor styrene.jpg

A large ledge is located at the top of the first floor. It's made from two styrene strips, but with a strip wood core. This provides rigidity & gluing surface, rather than just an L-shaped strip of thin styrene.

22 Molding close up.jpg

The ledge was applied to all appropriate areas. I added another layer of .04" (1mm) styrene for the plinth base.

23 Molding applied.jpg

Till next time...

Awesome job!
Thank you for sharing this. I want to build one later this year, so being able to learn from someone else's progress is a real life saver.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back