One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

I'd agree with your measurement thoughts...indeed, I'd extend that line of thinking to scans. It is a physical object they own. They can scan it and share those scans all they want, IMO. Now, if they wanted to sell posters of the scans, then you're getting into IP areas.

Fascinating stuff.

Well I already dusted my bussard collectors with orange ink based on what Gary K said (and this picture)
Trek01.jpg

It would just be nice to settle all of the years of debate about accuracy once and for all.
Although when I think about this stuff a lot, I can't help but hear THIS in my head.

Thanks for the info.
:)Spockboy

Last edited by a moderator:
CBS - IP.

Funny, when I was there and wanted to photograph the painting of the ship they sad the same thing to me. Our guide, not Margaret Weitekamp, said "no photos this is CBS intellectual property." This tells me they have all been told to say this. I suppose CBS is behind it in some way. Although what their goal might be eludes me.

I'd agree with your measurement thoughts...indeed, I'd extend that line of thinking to scans. It is a physical object they own. They can scan it and share those scans all they want, IMO. Now, if they wanted to sell posters of the scans, then you're getting into IP areas.

Not exactly. The ship as a character in the series, and as a sculptural work, would be protected by CBS's copyright. So if you 3D scan it, you're digitally copying the original sculptural aspects of the work, which do not belong to NASM. CBS would probably see it that way, especially since the 9th Circuit Batmobile case last year was very clear on that point.

But if you measure the artifact itself, and then make accurate diagrams of it for display, the measurements are not covered by CBS's copyright at all (as far as I can see), and the diagrams would probably fall under fair use. If they sold those diagrams, that would be less likely to be seen as fair use, and they'd probably want to license them. That's my best (educated) guess without actually going and researching it.

CBS - IP.

Funny, when I was there and wanted to photograph the painting of the ship they sad the same thing to me. Our guide, not Margaret Weitekamp, said "no photos this is CBS intellectual property." This tells me they have all been told to say this. I suppose CBS is behind it in some way. Although what their goal might be eludes me.

Sounds more like an abundance of caution to me than an actual legal directive. However, pictures of paintings are rather unique in that they can easily produce infringing images. For example, when we take (millions of) pictures of the model, we're not "copying" it with our cameras. It's more like recording an event. But aiming a camera at a copyrighted 2D image is seen as making an infringing copy of it. Separately, in the case of photographing the model, there's an aspect of "transformation" to fair use, which frankly I'm unable to explain at 2:30am. :p

Why am I up now? Because this...

Screenshot 2016-05-30 02.23.52.png

Hey, don't knock it. I'm out of methodone. :p

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM STFLT SUPPT SVCS TO ALL
MESSAGE BEGINS
DC residents and visitors -- the Metro lines that go to the Smithsonian and Capitol South stations will be offline for at least two weeks after July 4th due to a major systemic overhaul now underway. If you're going to rely on Metro to get to NASM, your best bet is during the July 4th weekend. Yes, it'll be a zoo, because of course it will be. We're just gonna have to deal.

HestonMadhouse copy.jpg

If you think there'll be street parking, well... :lol:lol:lol:lol

My plan is to park just out of town in Arlington, and über the rest of the way in. Never mind the cost (besides, NASM admission is free). If you value your sanity, I recommend you consider something similar. :)
MESSAGE ENDS

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM STFLT MEDICAL TO ALL
MESSAGE BEGINS
Pack your sunscreen -- the walk from either of those two stations to NASM is non-trivial. Strongly consider a hat. July in DC is hotter than Miami (where I grew up), just not as humid. But trust me, it's plenty humid. This is still the South, and DC is still built on a swamp. Drink lots of bottled water (don't rely on the DC tap, which has had lead issues that were first reported in 2010). Those of us who remember watching TOS back in the day are especially vulnerable to the heat. But I've had heatstroke as young as 25, so don't think you're immune just because you're too young to remember the Reagan Administration. :p
MESSAGE ENDS

Just found out L'Enfant Plaza station will be open after July 4, and it's closer than Smithsonian or Capitol South. I'd forgotten all about that one. So there's that. In other news, Lucky Lindy has landed in Paris! :p

Any news? Any news? huh? huh? Well?

:lol

I wish there were. It's less than a week to go now, and I'm all shaky and poopypants. Harder and harder to concentrate on work, or my projects, or writing, or... hell, anything but how many more of my mom's diapers I can "borrow" before she notices. :p

Even the HobbyTalk threads have gone eerily silent. It's like the ominous calm before the... uh... tourist trap opens, I guess. :p

:lol

I wish there were. It's less than a week to go now, and I'm all shaky and poopypants. Harder and harder to concentrate on work, or my projects, or writing, or... hell, anything but how many more of my mom's diapers I can "borrow" before she notices. :p

Even the HobbyTalk threads have gone eerily silent. It's like the ominous calm before the... uh... tourist trap opens, I guess. :p

LOL.
Well thanks very much for entertaining us while we wait.

(Now go and wash your poopypants)

I just hope there are lots of detailed close ups on line quick and also info on all the decisions they finally made. I'd hate to have it dragged out for months.

I just hope there are lots of detailed close ups on line quick and also info on all the decisions they finally made. I'd hate to have it dragged out for months.
I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm opening plenty of space on my iPhone and taking my DSLR with a blank 2GB disk on Friday, and I'm going to post them as soon as I possibly can in a new Photophucket folder. I also plan to shoot video of the Bussard effect.

In the coming weeks and months (and years), I'll make several return trips to address any gaps in my coverage, or even just to go shoot pictures with no excuse. Because why the frak not? :p

The funny thing is, GR used to say the Enterprise was in the NASM "beside the Spirit of St. Louis," even though it wasn't even close. But now he'll finally be telling the truth about it (or as near as GR could ever get). :p

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm opening plenty of space on my iPhone and taking my DSLR with a blank 2GB disk on Friday, and I'm going to post them as soon as I possibly can in a new Photophucket folder. I also plan to shoot video of the Bussard effect.

In the coming weeks and months (and years), I'll make several return trips to address any gaps in my coverage, or even just to go shoot pictures with no excuse. Because why the frak not? :p

The funny thing is, GR used to say the Enterprise was in the NASM "beside the Spirit of St. Louis," even though it wasn't even close. But now he'll finally be telling the truth about it (or as near as GR could ever get). :p

Thank you much appreciated I'm sure I speak for everyone.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back