One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by asalaw, Jan 14, 2015.

1. spockboy

spockboy Well-Known Member

Wow that was fast.
    Well done!

:)Spockboy

asalaw likes this.
  2. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Awesome!!! The only niggle -- and it's not really a niggle, because there's no real answer -- is the deflector spike. Gary has said they sort of blended different clear colors over bright silver because the photos weren't dispositive. That's no surprise, given how hard it can be to nail down metallic colors, which depend so much on reflected light. I can't really tell what you did there, probably because of interference from Van Winkle's Constant, commonly expressed in the texts as old + fart = blind. :p

On my 1/350, and my digital model (if I ever get around to it), I'm personally going to try to get the look that NASM went with. That'll be much easier on the 1/350 than in CG, I suspect. YMMV, as always.

OK, that didn't amount to much of a niggle, I guess. AND THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKED IT!!

Gabby_Johnson_Blazing_Saddles.jpg

RABBR!!

:p

EDIT --

Wait a sec! I put on my glasses. That helped. :wacko You matched the restoration look. Yay!

OK, so this whole post is kinda moot, I guess. Except for the Gabby photo. There's never enough Gabby Johnson. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  3. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Aureliano Johnson is right about Gabby Johnson being right! (And awesome updates to the drawings DanielB!!)

Dave Johnson

DeweySkywalker and asalaw like this.
  4. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

5. Lt Washburn

Lt Washburn Active Member

That was authentic final frontier gibberish.
    - Shane Johnson

asalaw and dcarty like this.
  6. spockboy

Found these online.

14046009_10211039573971836_8047511209288279478_n.jpg
    14045775_10205711045649927_5283253261150064509_n.jpg

Nobody seems to mention the silver, gold and bronze colors.
    (except this guy...)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    asalaw, Angelus Lupus and dcarty like this.
  7. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Nice colour charts! It still surprises me that there's been blues and greens on the Old Girl all these years.

8. Jerry Lee Kirk

Jerry Lee Kirk Member

How can we know for sure if the deflector is accurate now?
    After all they just have fotos, footage and concept drawing.

If the restored (recreated) deflector was made by "eye", like somebody looking fotos and some footage, it will be not right, something Always scape.

But if was made by mathematic equations, software analizing the footage, angle, distance, câmera lens, from the footage and photographs, and CGI to check the final result, there a good chance to be near perfect.

I believe it could be a good idea if Smithsonian could cast this model and create a second one, but following the plan for the second pilot (where no Man Has Gone Before).
    And a comercial version of both models, but without the ouside wires and with the painting and decals for the left side.
    What about that ?

And LEDs cannot shine exactly like a small bulb light. I think restorers used LEDs cause it last longer, and so can display the model lighting for many hours a day. But the lights emission , direction, difusion etc, are not the same as small bulb lights.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  9. y3a

y3a Well-Known Member

The deflector was made from ORIGINAL REVISED BLUEPRINTS.
    The curvature that most film camera lenses induce would making the analysis of the film invalid.
    How far off form perfect would "Near Perfect be"??

You must have NEVER cast something large before.

Why not see if you can competently build and light the Round 2 1/350 scale mode first.

10. spockboy

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    d_jedi1, robn1 and dcarty like this.
  11. spockboy

Original vs CBS Digital

CGI vs original.jpg

12. y3a

y3a Well-Known Member

13. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

14. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Anyone else suddenly wanting a re-Remastered TOS with this beauty on screen? :love

dcarty and greatwazoo42 like this.
  15. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Yes, please!

16. Jerry Lee Kirk

Jerry Lee Kirk Member

Blueprints can look quite diferente from the final model. There was a small model (lost today) usedin The Cage, that have diferent measure proportion to the upper saucer.
    Are you sure there is a accurate blueprint made only for the deflector dish (second version)?

Well, if you refer about frames of scenes of the ship moving, there is some problems, but for photo stills there is no motion blur or deformations due moviment while the frame is exposed (and it's not exposed exactly the same time in the top acompared to the lower ares of frame) with moviment. Anyway the DS9 episode trial and Tribbles Action used a lot of information from vídeo and fotos, to recreate the TOS portions sets that was need.

About cast the original TOS model... Why not ? The TNG model was cast to make some replicas (with some poor finish) for Las Vegas. I don't want a giant model in home. But I would like to see copies of this model in more places.

17. spockboy

18. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

They had access to the original blueprints that the original model was made from so I'd say that's about as good as source as you could have. This team was made up of experts and the job they did was fantastic. There really is no need to question the level of accuracy they achieved; this was the "A" team.

19. Jerry Lee Kirk

Jerry Lee Kirk Member

20. astarguy

astarguy New Member

i see the cad files shown in pdf format but if we were to ask for the cad files could we get them? i know Kerr made them him self but are they obtainable?

21. JDV5

JDV5 Member

Do any of you happen to know the color of Busard Collectors? The nacelle plexi domes that fit over and cover the rotating blade domes. Are they Amber? Bronze? Frosted and Bronze?
    Please advise.

22. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Busards are orange. My understanding is the original acrylic hemispheres were sandblasted to frost them then sprayed with orange Plaka ink. I would assume that the restoration team used a similar approach.

spockboy and asalaw like this.
  23. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Orange.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Lt Washburn

Can anyone identify the exact specs on those nuts? I think I'll make a SketchUp model of this nacelle cap but I want some real-world data to start with.

25. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

According to Gary's report on the hardware available for download here, they're standard hardware store brass cap nuts with a 4-40 thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  26. spockboy

Gary Kerr kindly posted this pic.
    Dome tabs.jpg

asalaw likes this.
  27. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Where did he post that?

28. spockboy

To be honest I don't remember. I have watched so many videos and read so many articles on the subject.
    I think it was his last detailed report.

29. Lt Washburn

I have that pic from the gallery associated with his report.

30. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Ah, yes, of course. That would be the gallery that I totally overlooked. Most likely a senior moment (though what I actually get is more like senior days with the occasional lucid moment). :p

I am seriously going to give it at least another six months before I start building my CG Enterprise. There's just too much data flowing out from Gary and NASM right now. I'm sure if I work long and hard, I can find some fault with that somewhere. Fortunately for me, I'm one lazy bastard. :p

31. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know the guy who has all the chips from the restoration and is mixing hobby store color recipes for publication soon!

32. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why doesn't one of the hobby paint companies just match it and sell it as starship gray?

asalaw and spockboy like this.
  33. spockboy

YES!!!

asalaw likes this.
  34. telchar

telchar New Member

Here's a question probably already answered, though I haven't found it in a search: has anyone published an analysis of the lighting pattern of the Bussard collectors? I'd like to model my bussards as close to the originals as possible.

asalaw likes this.
  35. spockboy

I was told this was from Miarecki when he did the first restoration.
    IMG_2674.png

telchar and asalaw like this.
  36. telchar

telchar New Member

Cool! I wondered if I didn't see a few extra lights in a ring inside the main
    ring of lights. Can't see it in the re-mastered editions, of course.

Thanks for this!

The few shots of the bussards open show a completely different mechanism from
    what they originally had, guess that is to try and keep the temperatures down.

spockboy and asalaw like this.
  37. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Yes. Margaret Weitekamp's biggest concern was heat from bulbs and motors as a potential fire hazard. So it's LED lighting only, and the lights and motors are on for only 10 minutes at a time at 11am, 1pm, and 3pm.

spockboy likes this.
  38. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

I would not pay too much attention to the light colors as they were frequently changed even after the series ended but the arrangement is interesting!

39. spockboy

I stabilized this famous shot and looped it in HD to get a good look at the pattern.
    Hope it helps.

[video=vimeo;164444066]https://vimeo.com/164444066[/video]

asalaw likes this.
  40. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The note on the bottom right doesn't make sense to me.

"Basically" all the time? Meaning NOT all the time? Then it's a really slow blink? What?

"they flash yellow" the orange lights that are basically on all the time flash yellow?

Maybe he was mixing up his words and he was saying the yellows and the blues flash together?

41. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Well... You have to remember, Ed Miarecki didn't have access to the source material we have now. The availability of HD video of the old FX has made it a lot easier to get precise timing, so I'd go from that over notes from 1991 that may or may not be 100% accurate. For that matter, the conservators at NASM have already been through this exercise, so why reinvent the wheel?

42. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What does my post have to to with source material or lack thereof? I'm just trying to figure out a very confusingly-worded set of notes.

43. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

All I'm saying is that Ed Miarecki himself may not have been absolutely sure of what he was looking at, hence the confusing wording of his notes. If that's the case, there's nothing to figure out -- that would be the closest he could come at the time to being sure. :)

44. telchar

telchar New Member

Yes, I could see there not beeing too much concern when a light burned out, just replace it with one out of the box and get it working in time to film again.
    Hard to pin a pattern (sequence) of flashing down. Sometimes I feel it is random, at other times there seems to be a definite sequence, the eyes
    can play subtle tricks. :eek

45. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

Keeping in mind that Miarecki didn't see it until 20 years after the Smithsonian received it and worked on the nacelle ends themselves (with those brilliant flashing red lights that installed in the 70's); there is really no telling what was left of the original configuration.

telchar likes this.
  46. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Bad news guys -- my E photos are about to go temporarily dark, but I'm not sure when, as will those of anyone else posting from the Dropbox Public folder. Dropbox is changing the Public folder and making it private, and I'm not sure what the replacement for file sharing is yet. And once I find out, I have to go back and redo all those * links. Thanks a lot, Dropbox. :angry:facepalm

47. spockboy

Restored.
    restored side view.jpg

asalaw, CessnaDriver and greatwazoo42 like this.
  48. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Wow! The gloss blue on the dorsal section really pops in that shot. Nice work! :)

spockboy likes this.
  49. spockboy

[video=vimeo;208950506]https://vimeo.com/208950506[/video]

greatwazoo42 likes this.
  50. leeloo88

leeloo88 New Member

There's nothing there spockboy