One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by asalaw, Jan 14, 2015.

1. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Impulse deck area!

2. scotthm

scotthm Active Member

Thank you very much. This one is exactly what I was looking for.

View attachment 646907

---------------

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Here's what I was able to grab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I was able to get some decent shots with this one. Sorry for the flash on the window.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the display plaques.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

robn1 likes this.
  4. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks so much! I remember what a revelation all those markings on the bottom were to me as a kid when I first
    saw them in the old poster magazine Smithsonian pictures in the seventies. I think that was the start of me realizing this miniature
    had far more to offer than what was seen on TV or the AMT model.

5. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. CessnaDriver

That was bloody awesome!

7. spockboy

spockboy Well-Known Member

GREAT!!!!

:)Spockboy

8. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Wonderful!

9. alensatemybuick

alensatemybuick Jr Member

Great link, thanks. Though if this was Trekbbs, I'm sure someone would probably complain about the mixing of movie-era music with the original E.:)

Bill George's other video of long Enterprise "library" FX shots is also great:

https://vimeo.com/97693253

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    TheDuc and greatwazoo42 like this.
  10. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

That is awesome!!!

I love the shot in "Enterprise Library Shots" starting at about 3:00 mins that shows the entire sequence of that turning shot that we saw parts of in so many episodes. Interesting to see the entire thing and what a cool view of the Enterprise from behind. I love it!

11. Keiko

Keiko Sr Member

Agreed^

That compilation from Bill George is amazing. I had no idea some of those shots were so long, especially the saucer shot in which it turns CCW away from the camera and goes off into the distance. I'd LOVE to see that stuff in some remastered state. Pipe dreams, I know.

12. CessnaDriver

I assume they move the camera around and away from the model, and perhaps some kind of zoom too.

13. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

It looks like the model actually rotated and then they tracked away from it with the camera. I am basing this on the way the lighting moves on the model as it turns. You can actually see the shadow of the saucer move across the secondary hull about 2/3rds of the way through the sequence.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    asalaw and CessnaDriver like this.
  14. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Wow! Where did that library footage come from?

HUZZAH! I made the guess years ago that the shot at :57 in that video was what was used when the Enterprise is surrounded by Romulans in The Enterprise Incident. But since the beginning of that shot isn't actually seen anywhere else it was just a guess.

Now I just need some kind of proof that the shot that zooms in on the lower sensor from That Which Survives and Let That Be Your Last Battlefield was actually filmed in season two (or one). It is now definitely the only shot that is unique to season three!

I remember when I realized that the long shot beginning at 3:20 was as long as it was and chopped up and used in various episodes. But I'd never seen it all together like that. I don't think most of that shot was ever seen. From 4:16 to 4:30 almost certainly wasn't. And it was often played running backwards. (I think it MOSTLY played running backwards.)

Thanks for the post!

alensatemybuick likes this.
  15. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing archival material and two wonderful videos! I LOVE the mock up they built of the dorsal/secondary hull.

16. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Yup. They turned it on a Mitchell geared head. Mid-century motion control. And by control, I mean "Yeah, that's good right there, Butch."

TOS VFX wide pilot test.png Screenshot 2014-10-28 17.16.23.png Screenshot 2014-10-28 17.20.24.png Screenshot 2014-10-28 17.26.07.png E & BB Space Seed fx shoot.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-28 17.12.58.png

edge10 and TheDuc like this.
  17. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Space may be the final frontier
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement
    Cobain can you hear the spheres
    Singing songs off station to station
    And Alderaan's not far away
    It's Californication

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  18. BrianM

BrianM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I asked Margaret Weitekamp at Comic-Con about paint codes and sample (yes I geeked all over her) and she said, "They were hoping to have something to release at the beging of Aug." So I'm now officially holding my breath...

asalaw likes this.
  19. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Well, I hope you had the courtesy to clean it off afterwards. And take a Pepto next time. Sheesh. :p

jonpaul0151 likes this.
  20. jonpaul0151

jonpaul0151 Active Member

I'm headed to DC in the fall to see this Icon in situ....

asalaw likes this.
  21. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Awesome! Make sure you see it lit -- that's worth the trip all by itself! :D

Also, I got some new gear -- a nice little speedlite* (as in, not a Nikon Speedlight®, because Canon), a little softbox for it, an off-camera bracket, etc. And, as of today, I'm finally done with The Gig of Death that Would Not Die Because "Gig of Death," Weren't You Listening? So I'm taking a whole new round of pictures this week. Stem to stern, top to bottom, till my batteries die or I do.

I'll also be shooting them in RAW, which means they'll look just that much more awesome when I get done processing them in PS. No more jpegs for me, since I'm going into the photo biz... (insert YAY! here).

Also, I'll be making them all available for free with minimal watermarking, via Unsplash.com. Those will be full-resolution, 15.1 MP. The ones I post here may be slightly smaller, but if that's the case I'll link to the Unsplash gallery. I should have them up starting this weekend, depending on how long it takes me to run them through PhotoShop.

Hi, I'm Aureliano, and I'm a ShootTheEnterpriseaholic. :p

(Speedlight or speedlite = separate flash unit.)

TimeyWimey, jonpaul0151 and robn1 like this.
  22. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Lit? They turn the lights off or did you sneak in there when the place was closed?

23. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

The model's lights come on at exactly 11am, 1pm, and 3pm for 10 minutes at a time. The rest of the time, they're off. So schedule your viewing accordingly. :)

The schedule is aimed at preserving the model. The LEDs do produce some heat (though minimal), and of course the nacelle motors also produce heat and suffer wear and tear. Everything's replaceable, but you risk damaging something every time you crack open the model, so they want to keep that to a minimum.

greatwazoo42 likes this.
  24. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Gotcha. Of course this cues up the old argument about leaving a PC on all the time or turning it off when not in use. I've heard many a screaming match over which preserves it longer. I'm glad they are giving our lady all due respect. She's certainly earned it.

25. Lt Washburn

Lt Washburn Active Member

I would think that having the lights on for much of the day, and only running the motors occasionally, would be pretty safe.

26. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Pretty safe doesn't cut it for them. They're looking at a 50-year time horizon, long enough for cumulative effects of minor damage to take their toll.

As for abusing the components by cycling them, remember that the objective is to protect the model, not the electronics. The reason they're concerned about heat is that it can hurt the wood and glues over time, and even distort the original framing. That already happened pre-restoration, with the secondary hull staves contracting as they dried out. :)

greatwazoo42 likes this.
  27. alensatemybuick

Testing to see if such a large image can be uploaded...

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm...appears to have been reduced in size :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    spockboy likes this.
  28. alensatemybuick

testport.png Another test...

porthuge3.png

- - - Updated - - -

(Yup, also reduced)
    (added a less cropped version as well)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    asalaw and spockboy like this.
  29. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

YAY! Looking forward to it.

30. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Hehehe... funny thing... Cranked up my car to go to NASM today just before noon, and my battery was dead, dead, dead. Deader than Moses, Stalin, and even my childhood dreams. :p

Cuz some moron left my headlights on all night. Yeah, that's it. Some totally random other person-type guy. Who's not me. Cuz I'd never do that... :p

Took AAA over two hours to show up, so my whole shooting day was... uh... shot, I guess.

Hey, announce your plans, hear God laugh. Did other productive stuff today instead. Tomorrow is another day. Checked my headlights already. ;)

31. spockboy

Thanks so much for these pics.

:)Spockboy

asalaw likes this.
  32. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Got some very nice photos of the E today, but my brand new flash unit died after only six hours of use. So back to B&H Photo it goes. A few of the reviews mentioned dead units, but not many -- I have a feeling this is going to go full refund after they replace it once or twice. Some of the photos are very good, but the really good ones I took after the flash died, using my pop-up flash with a softbox over it. Go figure. :wacko

And a helluva surprise -- STB is showing at the IMAX theater, and one of Chris Pine's hero costumes is out in front of the box office. Got some fine-* shots of that, but I may start a new thread for those, since it seems OT here.

I'll be trickling these out over the next week or so. Lots of other stuff to do, plus I'm exhausted. :)

[​IMG]

33. Lt Washburn

Lt Washburn Active Member

That's my definition for pretty safe.

34. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

How about a little teaser photo?????? :)

35. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

;)

[​IMG]

Also this:

[​IMG]

You meant the first one, right? :p

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    greatwazoo42 and robn1 like this.
  36. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

LOL, YES!!! The first one! :)

Looks great, love the close-ups. Thank you!

asalaw likes this.
  37. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

My pleasure. The closeups are my favorite thing to shoot. :)

God help us all if I ever get access to any original props or wardrobe. I'll be posting pictures of glue nuggets, threads, and zipper teeth. :p

38. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

To quote Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959): "You make my mouth water."

asalaw likes this.
  39. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Hmm... I usually hear that from women. :p

40. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    greatwazoo42 likes this.
  41. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

I just can't get enough of this stuff!! Makes me love the Enterprise even more (which I didn't think was possible)

asalaw and robn1 like this.
  42. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

43. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Alright, I updated my CG model by converting the LAB colors to my surface shaders. This is slightly more accurate than my version 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    asalaw, Angelus Lupus, robn1 and 2 others like this.
  44. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Awesome work! What software package are you using?

45. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

3ds max.

asalaw likes this.
  46. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

Nice!

So now all that's left is to wait for Gary's updated scaled colors for Round 2. If he releases updated plans to the public in some form, that'll be it -- no more unknown data about our favorite ship. :)

Like I said on FB, gotta find me a new reason to live now. Maybe go back to the screencaps and count Shatner's nose hairs? :p

spockboy likes this.
  47. spockboy

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    robn1 and asalaw like this.
  48. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Ah. Good eye. I will correct it when I get home and upload a V5 of the plans.

spockboy and asalaw like this.
  49. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

spockboy likes this.
  50. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

I have amended my post above to include this gold ring now.

asalaw likes this.