Oblivion (Post-release)

That works for me.

Now what about the part of the ship they separated.

Since there's no basis on which to base a tractor beam device, how about it grabs the part of the front of the command vessel, not then entire spaceship, but when the sleeping module is separated, which when Jack disengages it is pushed away with what appear to be retro-rockets, that is enough to stop the sleeping modudul from moving forward with the command module and it's free, while the command module continues on in the tractor beam.

Yeah but why didn't the aliens blow it up? As soon as it came back to earth the drones wasted them. Why wouldn't they just do that in space since the drones could move in space?

Yeah but why didn't the aliens blow it up? As soon as it came back to earth the drones wasted them. Why wouldn't they just do that in space since the drones could move in space?

Maybe the aliens never ever were attacked in space so they didn't consider it a danger. Kind of like the Death Star never seriously considered an attack by a small ship anything to be concerned with.

Maybe the aliens never ever were attacked in space so they didn't consider it a danger. Kind of like the Death Star never seriously considered an attack by a small ship anything to be concerned with.

Meh... How about if the life pods were in an opposing orbit with the tet, so the tet never knew it was there...

The likely reason for the clone Jack Harper army is psychological, it's far easier to steel yourself for a fight against an enemy that's totally alien to you but it's another thing when they're human and the entire army looks like one of your planet's heroes. People's first reaction, esp. in the US, will be WTF! the aliens all look exactly alike and they look just like hero astronaut Jack Harper! After that there will be people not quite willing to accept the truth of it all and will think it's some sort of trick or that because it looks like Jack Harper they can talk to them, reason and negotiate with them.

Which means we have two categories of Jack clones: mindless shocktroopers that are QUITE HAPPY to execute humans en masse, and actual people who have to be lied to and cajoled into it.

Why? Why bother with the second sort at all? Why not, I dunno, just send down a replacement drone when one breaks? That thing could carry millions, and apparently has plenty of fabrication capacity.

The whole thing makes sense *only* from the point of view of having to have a story to tell to a third party, namely us.

I wonder if people like us are a small percentage of the overall viewing audience. By that I mean when we walk out of a movie we essentially rip it apart and find all of the flaws in it to the point where it almost ruins the whole experience. Whereas those "other" people walk out like a dog that just had its belly rubbed. Happy. Content. And ready to move on to the next meal or ass to sniff.

I think some dissection is a good thing. I do think, though, that you can pick something apart so much that you destroy anything good you may have gained from it. The reason movies work in the first place is the suspension of disbelief. Once you get rid of that, it all falls apart.

EVERY film has plot holes if you look hard enough.

@ Father - yep! We're a tiny percentage of the audience. Which is why I speculated above about the film being intentionally dumbed down, but that is probably too harsh; might just be (as someone else said) that Kosinski concentrates on the things that are important to him - the visuals, the architecture etc and that watertight plot logic just doesn't rank anywhere near as high. And that is probably a perfectly sensible allocation of resources given how few people will bother to tear holes like this. (Prometheus was an exception, but even that made a passel. We are the few, the proud, the obsessive-compulsive pickers of nits.) :lol

Kosinski concentrates on the things that are important to him - the visuals, the architecture

I'd also like to add music onto that, just as with Daft Punk on Tron I felt M83 put together some amazing work with the soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait for Tron 3.

LOL. I actually AM hoping for another one. Legacy wasnt perfect but it was a fun movie. My only disappointment was that Rinzler didn't open his mask when he turned blue to show Tron.
I liked the flashback scenes with Tron and would have loved to see more.
Garrett Hedlund wasn't awesome, but better than some.
Hated the Zuse character though.

Which means we have two categories of Jack clones: mindless shocktroopers that are QUITE HAPPY to execute humans en masse, and actual people who have to be lied to and cajoled into it.

Why? Why bother with the second sort at all? Why not, I dunno, just send down a replacement drone when one breaks? That thing could carry millions, and apparently has plenty of fabrication capacity.

The whole thing makes sense *only* from the point of view of having to have a story to tell to a third party, namely us.

The most obvious answer to this question is in your own answer in the end, without Jack and his repairing of the drones then we wouldn't have much of a movie would we? I don't think that this is the first, nor the last, that does things that has plot points that may not make much sense logically but without there would be no movie. The Matrix is another good example of this, why bother with the Matrix at all, what does it matter to the machines that people dream of a normal life or not since they're just batteries to them.

The simple in movie explanation is that it needs to keep the drones out of the hands of the "Scavs" in case they manage to eventually find a way to tinker with one and use it against the Tet or at the very least to keep them from being scavenged for useful parts. We've seen that the power cells can be removed and converted into bombs so it's better to repair the drones and get them back up so that the "Scavs" can't get to them. Of course the Tet could just send more drones down to destroy the downed drones but that would leave holes in the coverage of the water sucking machines and the Tet doesn't seem to like doing that too much since, as big as they are, they don't seem to that hard to take down.

Another possible explanation lies in what the Tet told Jack 49 towards the end when he flew the bomb to the Tet, it told him that it was his god, this suggests that the Tet has possibly developed something of a god complex and a lot of what it does in regards to Jack & Vicka stem from that. It sees itself as a god and what does every god god need, it needs worshippers so it creates and programs the Jack & Vicka clones that, after a manner, worship the Tet.

It sees itself as a god and what does every god god need, it needs worshippers so it creates and programs the Jack & Vicka clones that, after a manner, worship the Tet.

I think that would have been a good story point if they'd made slightly more of it, but it was really only mentioned once. I wonder if there's any more detail in the graphic novel which would elucidate the director's intention in this regard. Because otherwise, there's really very little reason for it to do many of the things it does. And even then, not much.

Last edited:
I agree - a wasted plot point there; almost odd given the heavy use of religious allusions in TRON: Legacy.

As I understand it, the 'graphic novel' is basically a ruse, related to the writer's strike. It is unpublished and presumably, likely to remain so.

Oh, but by the way...

Is there anyone here who doesn't want a pet drone? OK, they're a bit big and wouldn't fit through the average doorway, but still.

If I had one, it would follow me around dealing summarily with people I don't like.

NRRRRK! Badabadabada.

LOL. I actually AM hoping for another one. Legacy wasnt perfect but it was a fun movie. My only disappointment was that Rinzler didn't open his mask when he turned blue to show Tron.
I liked the flashback scenes with Tron and would have loved to see more.
Garrett Hedlund wasn't awesome, but better than some.
Hated the Zuse character though.

You know the next Tron is coming, right?

Is there anyone here who doesn't want a pet drone? OK, they're a bit big and wouldn't fit through the average doorway, but still.
If I had one, it would follow me around dealing summarily with people I don't like.NRRRRK! Badabadabada.

When you saw the first drone did anyone else think "Ooh, I didn't know this was a Portal movie... there's Wheatley."

250px-Wheatley.png

You know the next Tron is coming, right?

I'm hoping... I'll believe it when I see it.

It's reportedly been green-lit. Sean Bailey got a promotion, he's the guy who gets to make those calls now, so...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back