Obi-Wan's Revenge of the Sith lightsaber. How many variations are there?

Theory: Last propstore auction came from the same 'ilk' of hero that is currently being auctioned. However, the brown neck version was force-pull gag specific.
New auction looks more like a (the) belt-hanger.
View attachment 1579521

View attachment 1579535
View attachment 1579536

Known iterations: (notice how the belthanger has different characteristics)
View attachment 1579537
This one is interesting. Is the neck metal like this new one? It's got a decidedly brighter coloration. I wonder if this was Master Replicas reference? I notice the copper colored part of the neck is set into the brass part, like the MR. This new doesn't do that.
New auction, alongside the belthanger reference images:
View attachment 1579539

Note:
Color
Scale of components
Material Reflection (assuming the pommel has oxidized over nearly 30 years)
position of clip and the way it hangs on the belt (pommel "high")

Please discuss
The thing that throws me off slightly is that middle picture. The pommel looks chrome plated. But the picture next to it, it doesn't. Assuming of course their the same prop. But the way this one rides, and it being all metal, makes a strong case for this being THE hero, or one of. With the various resin versions being made later.

BTW that was me bugging you on Facebook:)

This one is interesting. Is the neck metal like this new one? It's got a decidedly brighter coloration. I wonder if this was Master Replicas reference? I notice the copper colored part of the neck is set into the brass part, like the MR. This new doesn't do that.

The thing that throws me off slightly is that middle picture. The pommel looks chrome plated. But the picture next to it, it doesn't. Assuming of course their the same prop. But the way this one rides, and it being all metal, makes a strong case for this being THE hero, or one of. With the various resin versions being made later.

BTW that was me bugging you on Facebook:)
Luke?
About the coloring on that one displayed hilt: Yes I wonder if (in part from photo reference) that's where MR got their color.
Personally, I have a feeling they may have utilized ILM photo reference of the belt hanger for material choice and color (raw metals) but referenced the *geometry* of the ILM hilt seen with the tan and brown to flesh out the replica.

The photo from the enclosed display above, I actually wonder if could have been the *closeup* hilt. IE, Anakin gripping Obiwan's neck and forcing his saber back down on Mustafar.

Much like the Luke V2, they had photo reference but not the *actual* hilt in possession so there was bound to be variance and choices for accuracy were made based on conjecture (much like the boards are forced to at times.... yet let recently)

Reminder that shot 1 and 3 are the same sequence from that collage just different lighting scenarios... and it's possible that the hilt was maintained by the owner (well or poorly) over that past nearly 20 years so by now it wouldn't surprise me if the aluminum had dulled where the copper plating didn't. But I digress:
This hilt is due for a rigorous round of cross-examination and proofing.
If anyone else does replicas I'd like to make sure the community feels *informed* about what they're buying into.

Luke?
About the coloring on that one displayed hilt: Yes I wonder if (in part from photo reference) that's where MR got their color.
Personally, I have a feeling they may have utilized ILM photo reference of the belt hanger for material choice and color (raw metals) but referenced the *geometry* of the ILM hilt seen with the tan and brown to flesh out the replica.

You know, that was something I literally just remembered today! ILM made digital versions for General Grievous. I was meaning to go and pay more attention to those. Those could very well be what MR had.
The photo from the enclosed display above, I actually wonder if could have been the *closeup* hilt. IE, Anakin gripping Obiwan's neck and forcing his saber back down on Mustafar.

In one of BTS docs, they show a more detailed stunt saber. That looks pretty close to the hero, sans control box as I remember. I think it was used for some promo photos. I notice Ewan is gripping the saber where the control box should be. Makes me think that scene is using that saber.
Much like the Luke V2, they had photo reference but not the *actual* hilt in possession so there was bound to be variance and choices for accuracy were made based on conjecture (much like the boards are forced to at times.... yet let recently)

Reminder that shot 1 and 3 are the same sequence from that collage just different lighting scenarios... and it's possible that the hilt was maintained by the owner (well or poorly) over that past nearly 20 years so by now it wouldn't surprise me if the aluminum had dulled where the copper plating didn't. But I digress:
This hilt is due for a rigorous round of cross-examination and proofing.
If anyone else does replicas I'd like to make sure the community feels *informed* about what they're buying into.

Not to derail the thread, but it hasn't been 30 years since ROTS. Not even 20 yet. I'm sure that was a typo.

Luke?

At 4:30, you can see the stunt saber I'm talking about.

LOL, sorry, yes. Typo. Not trying to make anyone feel older accidentally including myself.

More like an adult human of 17 years has formed since RoTS was released (rounded to 20 if you count production time)

Here's the digital #1
1653600877725.png

Wireframe mostly #2 photo haha:
1653601235906.png

And yes Joek3rr:
Pretty sure MR had that model asset for reference on the replica.

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 6.04.51 PM.png

Not necessarily correct: I'm not sure who has perfect dimensions on this greeblie but- I wonder if someone with an allen key and a dremel could have modified a low profile socket head screw 'similar' to this to have the scallops in line with the allen key edges?

I’ll point out.
Full grenade geometry and no fiberglass blade extension (the digitally added blade has a gap)
Most of the duel blades in that stunt collection are paired with dueling stunt grenades as well. Less detailed and more comfortable
Admittedly the video isn't the greatest quality. But I'm pretty sure the one he picks up, has the correct full grenade geometry. He mentions it would be used for photos. There is, I believe, a good look at it in this promo shot.

7yfza4ucqk071.jpg

You make a good point about there not being a blade. But could they not have removed the blade? I see some in the video, and look like they are threaded. It's just the way Ewan's hand full envelopes the saber, I don't see that being possible with a control box.

I’ll point out.
Full grenade geometry and no fiberglass blade extension (the digitally added blade has a gap)
Most of the duel blades in that stunt collection are paired with dueling stunt grenades as well. Less detailed and more comfortable
PXL_20220527_012840881.PORTRAIT.jpg

Well I just disproved myself....ignore me :p I'm talking nonsense. It's totally possible wrap ones hand around the saber and the control box.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back