Obi Wan's Lightsaber (3rd) - 3d printed by "Valcrow"

HenryTheNerd

Hey Everyone!
This is my first thread, and I wanted to tackle my favorite movie prop, Old Ben Kenobi's lightsaber from "A New Hope".
I got the file from Jacky (Valcrow) here: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/star-wars-lightsaber-complex-version
IMG_20200927_122321.jpg

Before I made a machined version, I wanted to tackle a 3d print to get a feel for the process. I sanded everything with a 220 and then 320 grit sandpaper, and then primed it with Rusteloum filler primer.
IMG_20200930_175334.jpg

I then sanded it again, then went on to a black base coat, then on to the metal accents. I also switched out the PIN from the file for a similar sized screw, which will hold the clamp together better.
20201007_161836.jpg

I plan to post more updates, and weather it with raw seinna acrylic paint.

Nice. I have a 3d print as well from thingiverse. it just does not compare to a real metal saber. I have 2 korbanth's and am saving for a Romans. The 3d print is good for cosplay and thats about it.

Nice. I have a 3d print as well from thingiverse. it just does not compare to a real metal saber. I have 2 korbanth's and am saving for a Romans. The 3d print is good for cosplay and thats about it.
Yeah, the plan was to do Obi-Wan for my first comic con walk, but then you know... theres a pandemic now

Thank you, Scarf Man. I am working on saving up for enough money to machine a real metal one, but as you say, prop building is not a hobby for the cheap, and as I have no income, I am cheap. In addition, this was something of a proof of concept, for the rigging and paint job. lastly, It was very difficult to get the print file 100%. As I'm sure you're aware, the pinwheel is lower than it should be, (which is due to a bad CA glue application), and there is no GRAFLEX writing on the side. This is something I will add when I machine it. Thank you for the response, and you are 100% right. I thank you, even if your reply was a little... rough.

Ok, so the lightsaber broke on the neck. It's turning out to be very difficult to reattach due to the thin lines of infill, causing the CA glue to have nothing to hold on to. The current plan is to fill the infill gaps with wood filler, mark it with a knife, and then glue it. I may add a metal bolt or dowel to screw both sides in to. I'll keep you updated

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back