Obi ANH Saber Collectors--IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Serafino, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

A soon-to-be new member of the RPF, who has been corresponding with me for a while, just pointed out this article to me, which seems to have VERY serious implications for us.

IÂ’ve clipped the article and linked to a .jpg of it just to be cagey. IÂ’m not sure we want to be hyperlinking to it from the RPF, or explicitly discussing this issue on a public forum at the moment.

If you post a comment, I suggest you avoid the use of certain key words. :)

STORY

2. rhboyd

rhboyd Well-Known Member

Yikes inDEED.

good to know, thanks for the head-up.

-r.

3. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Interesting.

Perhaps more relevant in terms of a 'real part' rather than a replica part. I don't suppose a machined or cast replica could be classified under the same catagory.

4. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

I've received several replicas of the Obi part through the mail and never had a problem. Even if one were to somehow "fall out" of the package mid-shipment, I'm not so sure it would even be as recognizable to most. It really doesn't fit most people's stereotypical idea of one. I wouldn't be too worried. Be cautious and everything should be fine.

5. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

This does not count if the grenade is de-active....correct?

6. jedi knight

jedi knight New Member

It says "inert" in the artical so I'm guessing that de-active ones cound too :unsure

7. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

[edit]

Oh never mind, I should have known it was hopeless. :rolleyes

8. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

that's my newspaper...ajc.com =Atlanta Journal Constitution. Might have to pick that up and frame it behind my sabers..

but that is not my part BTW

9. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

10. StefTrooper

StefTrooper New Member

This may be a stupid question, but would you be able to safely send these items by courier?

11. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

*Edited*

I wonder if it was the Obi Pineapple or another type...

Searfino, what do you mean , never mind? I don't understand.

12. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

What I mean is that I suggested people refrain from using 'key' words, i.e. words which someone investigating this issue might search for online. Given the fines and the seriousness of the issue I don't think you can be "too careful" at this stage.

"Nevermind" because I should know by now that subtlety doesn't play here. :p

13. qwa_raig

qwa_raig Active Member

This is troubling, thanks for the link to the article

14. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Thanks for the info.

FB

15. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Agreed

16. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

What a "bang up" job of packaging :lol ...... I'd be pretty po'd at the sender if that was an obi being sent to me.... :)

17. acerocket

acerocket Well-Known Member

I would also suggest that we refrain from calling it by the 'g' word. Maybe we should give it an ultra-cool code name - how about 'the motorcycle grip'? Seriously though, Serafino is right, we need to be careful with what we call things these days with postal security at a high level. I would suggest that if these get made that they should be shipped in their broken down state (I think this should help in case they are x-rayed). When I shipepd a replica one to a friend overseas I took the precaution of making sure it was clearly written replica prop component on the paperwork and wrapped the body of the 'g' in a picture of the Obi saber. That way, any accidents the Post Office/ Customs had with things 'falling' out of boxes and they would see the picture and know what the part was for. Just my 2 cents.

18. Sporak

Ok, I got it...and modified my post accordingly...I chose "Pineapple".

Maybe we had bettter go back to saying gear too...just in case.

19. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Funny you picked "pineapple", because I was about to suggest that what they probably found was a pineapple "thingie"... The kind we usually see on TV. I think the ones we use for the OB1's are not as easily recognizable as "thingies".

When shipping them overseas I label them as "antique candle holders". Which is the truth. They are antiques and hold candles quite well.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. At all.

20. Sporak

That's what I'm thinking too...
    I was reading the article waiting to see Star Wars or lightsaber there somewhere :lol

Candle holder...that's funny...Dang if I only had a couple spares...I'd use them that way...great idea.

I'm tempted to use a couple of handwheels on my sink ;)

21. Howard

Howard Sr Member

We need to Clamp down on ourselves, I agree.
    We certainly don't want to be Pommeled by these people, who Tap into our forum, Calculating they'll Wash up a fact that could tip the Balance between their view of right and wrong.
    Time to sit back and sip a Pineapple juice and listen to my transistor radio for the news, except the signals weak and I need a Booster. :angel

:p

Howard.

22. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Don't foget D'Ring of other websites we should apply these rules to as well.

23. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

Nice play on words there Howard. :D

24. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

Interesting that the item in question is still of questionable legality even after it was determinged to be inactive-- I haven't researched the USPS site, but I thought since eBay had policies regarding such things-- and we are by no means the only collectors-- this was a non-issue.

However, having just travelled to Europe and the US back-to-back, I can personally vouch for the heightened level of security (ie invasive) in the states. Compared to just a few years ago, things in general seem much stricter...

Andres, this is why I was nervous about getting that, um, "gear", complete with the, uh... "other thing". :lol

KD

25. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Yup, I think we DO need to worry and be careful.

With things like this there's nothing to worry about until suddenly someone gets their life turned upside by something no one "would have imagined could happen HERE."

KD--on the other hand, it is amazing what playing on the imagination of a potential package inspector seems to do.

I'm thinking the pineappular object looks a lot like a spare roller for a tram-tire making machine. :love

26. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

When my original was shipped from the U.K. about 6 years ago, the seller put "antique candle holder" on the customs form.

With the original rod included, it could look like an old wall candle holder. :lol

- Jim :fettrotj

27. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

28. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It may be illegal to send through the US mail. However that does not necessarily include UPS or Fed EX...not saying they don't have rules about pineapple shipping.

29. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the lessen learned here is to pack the package well, include a disclaimer inside the package, and be creative with the item description.