Obi ANH Saber Collectors--IMPORTANT

Serafino

Sr Member
A soon-to-be new member of the RPF, who has been corresponding with me for a while, just pointed out this article to me, which seems to have VERY serious implications for us.

IÂ’ve clipped the article and linked to a .jpg of it just to be cagey. IÂ’m not sure we want to be hyperlinking to it from the RPF, or explicitly discussing this issue on a public forum at the moment.

If you post a comment, I suggest you avoid the use of certain key words. :)

STORY

Interesting.

Perhaps more relevant in terms of a 'real part' rather than a replica part. I don't suppose a machined or cast replica could be classified under the same catagory.

I've received several replicas of the Obi part through the mail and never had a problem. Even if one were to somehow "fall out" of the package mid-shipment, I'm not so sure it would even be as recognizable to most. It really doesn't fit most people's stereotypical idea of one. I wouldn't be too worried. Be cautious and everything should be fine.

that's my newspaper...ajc.com =Atlanta Journal Constitution. Might have to pick that up and frame it behind my sabers..

but that is not my part BTW

*Edited*

I wonder if it was the Obi Pineapple or another type...

Searfino, what do you mean , never mind? I don't understand.

What I mean is that I suggested people refrain from using 'key' words, i.e. words which someone investigating this issue might search for online. Given the fines and the seriousness of the issue I don't think you can be "too careful" at this stage.

"Nevermind" because I should know by now that subtlety doesn't play here. :p

Originally posted by Serafino@Apr 3 2006, 01:09 PM
"Nevermind" because I should know by now that subtlety doesn't play here.  :p
[snapback]1219162[/snapback]​

Agreed

What a "bang up" job of packaging :lol ...... I'd be pretty po'd at the sender if that was an obi being sent to me.... :)

I would also suggest that we refrain from calling it by the 'g' word. Maybe we should give it an ultra-cool code name - how about 'the motorcycle grip'? Seriously though, Serafino is right, we need to be careful with what we call things these days with postal security at a high level. I would suggest that if these get made that they should be shipped in their broken down state (I think this should help in case they are x-rayed). When I shipepd a replica one to a friend overseas I took the precaution of making sure it was clearly written replica prop component on the paperwork and wrapped the body of the 'g' in a picture of the Obi saber. That way, any accidents the Post Office/ Customs had with things 'falling' out of boxes and they would see the picture and know what the part was for. Just my 2 cents.

Ok, I got it...and modified my post accordingly...I chose "Pineapple".

Maybe we had bettter go back to saying gear too...just in case.

Originally posted by Sporak@Apr 4 2006, 01:30 AM
Ok, I got it...and modified my post accordingly...I chose "Pineapple".

Maybe we had bettter go back to saying gear too...just in case.
[snapback]1219359[/snapback]​

Funny you picked "pineapple", because I was about to suggest that what they probably found was a pineapple "thingie"... The kind we usually see on TV. I think the ones we use for the OB1's are not as easily recognizable as "thingies".

When shipping them overseas I label them as "antique candle holders". Which is the truth. They are antiques and hold candles quite well.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. At all.

That's what I'm thinking too...
I was reading the article waiting to see Star Wars or lightsaber there somewhere :lol

Candle holder...that's funny...Dang if I only had a couple spares...I'd use them that way...great idea.

I'm tempted to use a couple of handwheels on my sink ;)

Originally posted by Romans Empire@Apr 3 2006, 11:30 PM
Funny you picked "pineapple", because I was about to suggest that what they probably found was a pineapple "thingie"... The kind we usually see on TV. I think the ones we use for the OB1's are not as easily recognizable as "thingies".

When shipping them overseas I label them as "antique candle holders". Which is the truth. They are antiques and hold candles quite well.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. At all.
[snapback]1219457[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back