New Van Halen single "Tattoo"..

Halen, sorry. Never heard or heard of the other guys.

I just look at the guys in Van Halen and I can't help but think "Man, you just look...sad now." When the DLR era was defined so primarily by virility and partying like a rock star, when you get some 60-ish guy up there mugging like he's still 24....no dude. Just....no. Stop. You're embarrassing yourself and everyone else.

There are very very few performers who can make the transition from rock and roll icon to aging rock and roll icon. I think the only guys who've really been able to pull it off effectively have been the Stones -- because they've adapted -- and KISS -- because they wear makeup and funky costumes.

Even then, you can't really recapture the past, and trying to just seems to me to be even more pathetic than saying "Hey man, we got old and fat, but what makes us good isn't our looks but rather our music." And that's the other sad part here. Their music in this case just...isn't there. It lacks the energy, the imagination, the oomph that the older stuff had.

I guess, to me, there's something to be said for aging gracefully, and you do that by accepting your age and working with it, rather than trying to fight it to the bitter end. That's a losing battle anyway.

Halen, sorry. Never heard or heard of the other guys.

There are very very few performers who can make the transition from rock and roll icon to aging rock and roll icon. I think the only guys who've really been able to pull it off effectively have been the Stones -- because they've adapted -- and KISS

Let's not forget AC/DC and the Scorpions.

I haven't heard The Scorpions, but I saw a Youtube bit of recent AC/DC....that's pretty sad too. The band can still play, but man...Brian could NOT sing. I mean, I guess after 20+ years of screeching your throat out, that's to be expected, but still man. Let it go.

At least these guys aren't doing a farewell tour only never to leave (ala KISS).

Actually, KISS' farewell tour was a farewell for me cuz I've never taken them seriously since.

At least these guys aren't doing a farewell tour only never to leave (ala KISS).

Actually, KISS' farewell tour was a farewell for me cuz I've never taken them seriously since.
For me, not since they put other cats into Ace and Peter's makeup. Lame assed move.

No argument there. But I think they get away with doing the same schtick because it's tougher to tell their age with all the makeup on. As long as they can still sorta sing, they're ok.

I don't mean good as in "quality," mind you. I mean good as in able to keep doing the old gig.

Heard this a couple weeks ago and the report was the fighting was speculation. I'd believe they're not getting along, but you'd think if they're quitting for good in 3 weeks they'd just say so. Not much point in denying it if it's true.

I'm not surprised at all, but still it's pretty embarrassing, isn't it. Let us all be happy for Michael Anthony for not being part of this BS.

Indeed! Nobody wants to pay that kinda money to see a tribute band. Besides being the other voice in VH, the stage moved better with Mikey on it.

-Rylo

I keep thinking that if they got Mikey, these shows would have been sold out.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back