New Van Halen single "Tattoo"..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Qui-Gonzalez, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Here it is. I'm on the fence on it. Musically, I dig it, but lyrically...good lord, it could be MUCH better. "Swap-meet Sally. Tramp Stamp Cat. Housewife to Bombshell in the time it took to get that new...tattoo. Tattoo tattoo."

*sighs*

2. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

I think it's ok. The chorus is kind of weak, but it has a catchy beat, and the style ain't too bad. Gotta agree on the lyrics, although lyrics have never been a deal breaker for me if the music is good.

Hopefully it's not one of the better songs on the album, but I could listen to it as part of a full album.

3. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

I liked it. video is annoying, but the song is solid, DLR still has the pipes, and Eddie's Guitar work is classic. Can't wait for the whole album.

4. AdamNightmare

AdamNightmare Well-Known Member

Complaining about lyrics in Van Halen seems... odd.

PANAMA!!!!! PANAMAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! PANAMAAAAAAAAOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

5. Qui-Gonzalez

That should let you know just how bad I find these lyrics. Like I've already said, musically, it has that VH hook, but ugh on the lyrics. I also heard they are going to use "She's the Woman" as one of the songs on the new album. I don't know they will work that out with one of the main riffs from Mean Street being part of that song.

6. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I miss Mikey.

Just not the same band. He really welded those harmonies together that kept things familiar through DLR and Hagar eras...

Everyone is so hungry for something new they're will to nibble on this choad of a tune. Spooky to think of what's on the rest of the album if this is the hook.

Gotta run and listen to some Chicken Foot just to get my head right after that.

-Rylo

7. Rylo

By the way. Agreed on the music/guitar part. Always nice to hear anything new by Edward. :thumbsup I don't hear that bass, though.

8. Qui-Gonzalez

Agreed and right behind you!

9. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

He's used that same lick in some of their earliest material. Sheeze...

10. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's okay. The chorus is clumsy. I hope the rest of the album has some much better work.

11. Dutchman

Dutchman Well-Known Member

I still have to level with this whole thing... Like it a lot to hear David Lee Roth sing again with the Van Halen brothers. He has a great voice and a cool sound. But I have to agree, without Michael Anthony it's nowhere near the original band.I still liked the band a lot with Sammy Hagar.

Besides, Roth is a bit scary now that his older I think, I don't know. Somehow his slickness, that I thought was funny back in the day, seems a bit off now :confused

12. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

3.5/10 at best

13. Qui-Gonzalez

Okay...really...WHAT THE HELL, MAN?!?

My enthusiasm for this tour is waning by the press release. I like Kool and the Gang and LOVE me some Van Halen, but NOT together.

14. cboath

cboath Master Member

I'd echo a lot of the same comments. Like the music part, not a fan of the lyrics. Then again, it's not like any of these guys were master lyricists before.

On the plus side, it's better than anything on VHIII. That's saying next to nothing, but you gotta start somewhere. :)

I'll reserve judgement til I heard the whole cd. I've heard MANY records in the past where the first release was far from the best song on it. That's the case on a lot of VH albums as well.

15. murphy

murphy New Member

I sure hope I never have to hear that song again! Pack it up Van Halen! That ship has sailed......

16. Tyderium

Tyderium Active Member

I'm a big Halen fan but sheesh that was disappointing.
    Parts of the video looked very uncomfortable and awkward.
    Where before Roth's high kicks and gymnastics somehow 'felt right' for the music and era, his foot shuffling here feels embarrassing.
    Weak chorus and the song doesn't seem to hang together.
    Still love that signature guitar sound though.

17. Rylo

Yeah, Roth's become a little creepy. It just doesn't work anymore.

18. mike5150

mike5150 Well-Known Member

Not bad but not great either! I'm happy just to see Van Halen putting out something new!!

19. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

meh. Not worthy of their own name.

20. GiovanniDekkers

GiovanniDekkers Active Member

Without his long hair DLR looks like a singing hotel manager, this isn't Van Halen unless they replace the bass-player.

21. Capn

Capn Member

Sadly, it will likely be the best song on the album,...it's really a shame to think of this as putting their best foot forward. As for touring with Kool and the Gang,....some promoter with no idea about the music probably figures any nostalgia band will do....Ugh

22. Straker

Straker Well-Known Member

I guess it's better than VH3 XD Certainly not their top material but it HAS been awhile. I was surprised to hear they were doing ANYTHING at all.

23. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

I don't know. While singles are theoretically supposed to be the most catchy and straightforward song of the album, they're also not always indicative of the rest of the album. There are 15 songs, so there's still plenty of room for a couple of great tracks. We'll see.

24. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is it me or does David Lee Roth look like Steve Martin with his short hair? LOL

25. Qui-Gonzalez

I dunno...the original version of "She's the Woman" was a pretty smokin' tune back in its day.

Oh, let's not forget "Down in Flames" which is why this new song DOES sound as good as it does.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  26. Capn

Capn Member

I really, really REALLY hope I am wrong on this one....I respect the optimism of yourself and Qui-Gonzales, but guess I've just been disappointed too many times to get my hopes up anymore....Gads I'm starting to sound like a grumpy old man!

27. AdamNightmare

AdamNightmare Well-Known Member

Panama!!!!!!!

Panamaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

28. Qui-Gonzalez

Ain't nothin' like it, her shiny machine...

Remove those brown M&Ms.

29. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I just can't get past the lyrics. They really really really suck.

The video is pretty bad on top of the really insanely bad lyrics.

30. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:eek YIKES!!!!!!!! :eek

Man that was awful!!

Herve Villachaise is rolling over in his grave! :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  31. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The lyrics are a little meh BUT, I listened to this song a few days ago and have found myself humming Swap Meet Sally, Tramp Stamp Cat.... a few times.

32. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Wow, that really sucks!!

33. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

It's ok. Weak chorus but not a bad track all round.

Historically Van Halen with DLR always released the most 'pop' style track or most commercial from the LP first. So hopefully the rest of the LP will be better. This can be said for a lot of rock acts.

Chris

34. Java

Java Sr Member

Michael Anthony's absence is really glaring.

35. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

If Dave grew his hair out, he'd look like Kahn.

[​IMG]

36. leafman

leafman Well-Known Member

I think what the song is missing is the energy they used to have, I mean yeah the lyrics are terrible, but this sounds like something they play while the credits are rolling at the theater.

37. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Really? That song is painfully terrible. It's awful.

38. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

The video itself is as bad as the song....Really? Backwards filming? That's the best you guys can come up with?

39. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

the problem i think is that there are no catchy van halen riffs. eddie doesn't play like he did in the seventies anymore. the playing had a more "punk" attitude if you get my meaning. nowadays his playing is technically good but ho hum. very rarely can you go back....

Dave is trying, but whiskey and green m + m's vocals over musak aint gonna work.

40. cboath

cboath Master Member

I have to say, i've not heard it all yet but Tattoo seems to be the weak link. I'm liking what i've I heard to this point. China Town stood out to me, Outta Space too.

I was definitely on the fence (and leaning towards pass), but I'll be picking this up on the 7th.

I think the video is doing/did them a big disservice. I liked tattoo better just listening to it without the video. The video was just bad.

41. JD

JD Master Member

That's ironic since these are riffs left over from the 70s/80s.

But, I don't care much for it either :facepalm

42. mike5150

I've given the album a complete listen several times and you can tell they had fun making it as well as some of Eddie's solos being badass!!

43. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

well i'll give the rest a listen and see but maybe wrongly going by that video and eddies late 80's and nineties work, it looks like he's playing from an EZ chair and not fighting the riffs out like the m+m days heh.

44. mike5150

Trust me that video doesn't give the album justice! There are some killer solos on this album IMO!

45. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I was always more of a fan of Dave than the entire band and this just doesn't seem right for him or the band. I just think they're all past their prime.

46. Qui-Gonzalez

Well, at least five of the "new" songs are simply repurposed stuff from 75-76. Tattoo is Down in Flames. Outta Space is Let's Get Rockin'. Big River is Big Trouble. She's the Woman is She's the Woman. Beats Workin' is Put Out the Lights. They were good riffs, but not enough to make the cut back in the day...

47. cboath

cboath Master Member

I'd be willing to bet every single band who's passed say 6ish albums has pulled stuff from their past to put on new albums.

Could be a conscious effort to get back to their roots and give people what they asked for as opposed to taking the easy way out as people are describing it (or at least it seems). People have been wanting old-style VH ever since Dave got the boot. They get it and complain it's rehash.

48. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

i'd bet the old songs were more raw and had more fire then. therefore most likely better. but fifty plus year old rockers are not the same as when in their twenties obviously.

49. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

hummm....the song is OK. Not great, not horrible.

I think that the thing which surprised me the most was seeing how much older they are now - Roth looks so different than he used to. That being said, I haven't actually 'seen' any members of Van Halen since 0U812 came out.

They sound good though - and that's all that I ever cared about! I'd love to see them in concert though!

50. Qui-Gonzalez

I'll give it another listen when I get out of this office, but I'd swear some of it even sounds Sammy-era Van Halen. I guess I cannot complain to much. Some of the best bands have been putting out the same album for 30 years*cough*ACDC*cough*