New Van Halen single "Tattoo"..

Qui-Gonzalez

Master Member
Here it is. I'm on the fence on it. Musically, I dig it, but lyrically...good lord, it could be MUCH better. "Swap-meet Sally. Tramp Stamp Cat. Housewife to Bombshell in the time it took to get that new...tattoo. Tattoo tattoo."

*sighs*

I think it's ok. The chorus is kind of weak, but it has a catchy beat, and the style ain't too bad. Gotta agree on the lyrics, although lyrics have never been a deal breaker for me if the music is good.

Hopefully it's not one of the better songs on the album, but I could listen to it as part of a full album.

I liked it. video is annoying, but the song is solid, DLR still has the pipes, and Eddie's Guitar work is classic. Can't wait for the whole album.

Complaining about lyrics in Van Halen seems... odd.

PANAMA!!!!! PANAMAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! PANAMAAAAAAAAOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

That should let you know just how bad I find these lyrics. Like I've already said, musically, it has that VH hook, but ugh on the lyrics. I also heard they are going to use "She's the Woman" as one of the songs on the new album. I don't know they will work that out with one of the main riffs from Mean Street being part of that song.

I miss Mikey.

Just not the same band. He really welded those harmonies together that kept things familiar through DLR and Hagar eras...

Everyone is so hungry for something new they're will to nibble on this choad of a tune. Spooky to think of what's on the rest of the album if this is the hook.

Gotta run and listen to some Chicken Foot just to get my head right after that.

-Rylo

By the way. Agreed on the music/guitar part. Always nice to hear anything new by Edward. :thumbsup I don't hear that bass, though.

Here it is. I'm on the fence on it. Musically, I dig it, but lyrically...good lord, it could be MUCH better. "Swap-meet Sally. Tramp Stamp Cat. Housewife to Bombshell in the time it took to get that new...tattoo. Tattoo tattoo."

*sighs*

It's okay. The chorus is clumsy. I hope the rest of the album has some much better work.

I still have to level with this whole thing... Like it a lot to hear David Lee Roth sing again with the Van Halen brothers. He has a great voice and a cool sound. But I have to agree, without Michael Anthony it's nowhere near the original band.I still liked the band a lot with Sammy Hagar.

Besides, Roth is a bit scary now that his older I think, I don't know. Somehow his slickness, that I thought was funny back in the day, seems a bit off now :confused

I'd echo a lot of the same comments. Like the music part, not a fan of the lyrics. Then again, it's not like any of these guys were master lyricists before.

On the plus side, it's better than anything on VHIII. That's saying next to nothing, but you gotta start somewhere. :)

I'll reserve judgement til I heard the whole cd. I've heard MANY records in the past where the first release was far from the best song on it. That's the case on a lot of VH albums as well.

I'm a big Halen fan but sheesh that was disappointing.
Parts of the video looked very uncomfortable and awkward.
Where before Roth's high kicks and gymnastics somehow 'felt right' for the music and era, his foot shuffling here feels embarrassing.
Weak chorus and the song doesn't seem to hang together.
Still love that signature guitar sound though.

Yeah, Roth's become a little creepy. It just doesn't work anymore.

I'm a big Halen fan but sheesh that was disappointing.
Parts of the video looked very uncomfortable and awkward.
Where before Roth's high kicks and gymnastics somehow 'felt right' for the music and era, his foot shuffling here feels embarrassing.
Weak chorus and the song doesn't seem to hang together.
Still love that signature guitar sound though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back