New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

There's no proof that those flashes were prototypes as-brought-to-said-meeting.

From the original prop blog:
View attachment 1471729

These photos also posted on the OPB from the Rinzler book are dated as circa January 14th - January 25th 1976
View attachment 1471730View attachment 1471740
(You catch a glimpse of the grenade in the bottom left of the 4th pic, so I added the Grenade/Balance Pipe thing here too.)

Based on these dates, those photos are most likely the 'prototypes.' And according to Roger Christian, all of Stears' and the SP.FX. team saber hilts were the ones that looked like flashlights. (Which would mean that Christian's provisions to this meeting where the grenade and balance pipe assembly thing?)

So as of January 19th, 1976, there is no indication that the Graflex or MPP had been selected. (And oddly, the SPFX hilts were being developed concurrently before hero hilts were picked) And no other production memos I've come across indicate a date when they were picked... This one is interesting though:

So sometime between January 19th and February 5th 1976, the Graflex and MPP hilts were selected.

As for the flashes being legit ANH production-purchased or "from the collection of John Stears" ..it depends how optimistic you are.
For the life of me I always wondered what FX stood for… now I get is.. SPFX…

LOM

What's really interesting is that this implies that at least the Obi Hero was either being made or already made and that the stunts, or precursors to them, were made based on the note for 1/21. By 03/16 the latest, they definitely had the Obi Hero and the Graflex figured out to ship out to Tunisia.

Last edited:

Makes me wonder again about the hero prop (and its bottom endcap stamping/orientation), which, red button aside, also shows Folmer traits.
Based on this area there - my best guess is that the orientation of the stamp is like this (in regards to the clip, ignore the t-tracks positions)
1625033065425.png

because I kind of see 3 parallel lines there and can't think of what else they could be. But ... yeah, can't say anything for sure, that's why I don't drill but use adhesive tape instead in my builds.

Interestingly, the recent John Stears Graflex’s (not that it should be used as a reference for the hero, which was a different flash entirely, of course) stamping orientation pretty much matches this:

87F47C4D-3159-4B9E-A8CB-B25E07AA5237.jpeg
610CB764-2C11-46E7-8DAF-2F816BC57C38.jpeg

Gregatron, I was thinking something like your second photo- the GRAFLEX text is somewhat off-center, so the X would be near the 10:00 or a little further toward 11:00. Of course it could be a dent or smudge, but both blurry photos seem to indicate similar mark locations and there's a good chance it is the large stamped GRAFLEX and text block. Perhaps Roy can do a 3D model overlay to nail this hypothetical scenario down a bit.

Gregatron, I was thinking something like your second photo- the GRAFLEX text is somewhat off-center, so the X would be near the 10:00 or a little further toward 11:00. Of course it could be a dent or smudge, but both blurry photos seem to indicate similar mark locations and there's a good chance it is the large stamped GRAFLEX and text block. Perhaps Roy can do a 3D model overlay to nail this hypothetical scenario down a bit.

So, the ESB Wampa Cave orientation, basically. Hmmm.

I'm personally much more curious to find out what is the actual stamp on the ANH saber than the orientation.
Maye if one day a someone shares a higher-resolution version of this:
1625169727576.png

Yes, the actual stamping is an important detail, too. My gut instinct says Folmer, but you never know. I was under the impression that people were looking at the rolling of the endcap lip to try and match it to one of the known variants (Folmer, Folmer patent, Inc.).

Yes, the toe pic looks like it is a "thin lip", but that's not sufficient imho. It varies, and even if it is much more common on the early Folmers, some Inc ones are like that as well. There are also few variations of the font and spacing of the letters on the Folmer stamps if we want to be super precise.

the obvious reason the rivets are on the side of the ANH is because thats where the original belt mounting point was before the D ring was added. You can see in the prequels the sabre was worn much higher and then in the OT the sabre was hanging.

Oh, in universe or course.

I’ve been obsessed with this saber since it was revealed… I was told about it a long time ago but always took it as rumor

When Andy’s video came out and he revealed the story, this is by far my favorite version of the graflex..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back