New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

'Narrative Art' apparently includes props.
We know from the museum's presentations that various SW props will be displayed when it opens.

So, why not be excited for potentially new SW props that we haven't seen to be shown?
After all, this museum is GL's baby; I can't imagine him pulling any punches when it comes to introducing new display pieces from his personal collection.

I LOVE props. They’re far more exciting to me than paintings etc.

anyway after all this what is everyone doing? is everyone doing the four rivets?

If I ever get a vintage Folmer I’ll be cutting the heads of the rivets off and e6000 the rivets on

Roys d ring I am making a magnet setup

Working on something right that I’ll share when it’s done. Just so many other projects I have to finish first

If I ever get a vintage Folmer I’ll be cutting the heads of the rivets off and e6000 the rivets on

Roys d ring I am making a magnet setup

Working on something right that I’ll share when it’s done. Just so many other projects I have to finish first

thatd Be great. Magnet setup for the D ring? What do you mean..would you still use two rivets to put the d ring on?

One way of using magnets on the d-ring, is to pop the rivets in the holder (either a kobold/d-ring holder) then cut them down so they sit on the end cap rather than in the bottom cap. Then one magnet in the bottom tube, and/or underneath the kobold for ESB/TFA builds

I have a Folmer vintage with patent I want to convert, but the stamping orientation doesn’t match this one.
I wonder if it’s because they rotated the cap? I know it is possible in some vintages to be able to rotate the cap. I’m not sure it is possible with mine. I would not like to make the holes to match this orientation and then not being able to align it with the clamp the way it should be
Any thoughts?

I have a Folmer vintage with patent I want to convert, but the stamping orientation doesn’t match this one.
I wonder if it’s because they rotated the cap? I know it is possible in some vintages to be able to rotate the cap. I’m not sure it is possible with mine. I would not like to make the holes to match this orientation and then not being able to align it with the clamp the way it should be
Any thoughts?

E6000, dont drill holes until we see the heros correcr orientation

I just found a **** ton of new versions of exactra screws I think, wait util I get them in the mail, if they're good I'll add them to my SRS screw ltd run

For the record, both the Elstree saber and the “sample” Graflex apparently presented by John Stears at an early production meeting (and which recently sold at auction along with an MPP) are both Folmer Graflexes.

Makes me wonder again about the hero prop (and its bottom endcap stamping/orientation), which, red button aside, also shows Folmer traits.

Was there any actual proof that those 2 generic flashes that recently sold are really the same physical ones that were presented on the early meeting as sabers ( with the reflectors still on...) ?

Was there any actual proof that those 2 generic flashes that recently sold are really the same physical ones that were presented on the early meeting as sabers ( with the reflectors still on...) ?

45C2E967-5525-49A9-9A32-787AF3B80E6A.gif

With what is going on with the people involved in the OT and selling of props today… I doubt it..

There's no proof that those flashes were prototypes as-brought-to-said-meeting.

From the original prop blog:
1625020429651.png

The Sp.Fx. Dept. hope to test new swords on Wednesday (21/1); it will not be necessary to test the rotating swords. Test to be made on the tapered round sword. Test also to be tried on the on sword which has small cup in convex dish.

John Stears and Roger Christian to have a meeting Monday morning 19/1 on the type of sword handles George Lucas Prefers.

These photos also posted on the OPB from the Rinzler book are dated as circa January 14th - January 25th 1976
1625020564206.png
1625022787611.png

(You catch a glimpse of the grenade in the bottom left of the 4th pic, so I added the Grenade/Balance Pipe thing here too.)

Based on these dates, those photos are most likely the 'prototypes.' And according to Roger Christian, all of Stears' and the SP.FX. team saber hilts were the ones that looked like flashlights. (Which would mean that Christian's provisions to this meeting were the grenade and balance pipe assembly thing?)

So as of January 19th, 1976, there is no indication that the Graflex or MPP had been selected. (And oddly, the SPFX hilts were being developed concurrently before hero hilts were picked) And no other production memos I've come across indicate a date when they were picked... This one is interesting though:

“Both Speeders to go on freighter. Also 10 robots and other essentials such as laser swords may be fitted into [personnel] charter.”

So sometime between January 19th and February 5th 1976, the Graflex and MPP hilts were selected.

As for the flashes being legit ANH production-purchased or "from the collection of John Stears" ..it depends how optimistic you are.

edit: fixed a photo

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back