New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

I understand how to do it I just don’t trust myself to perform it as I might make a mistake that can be huge and end up breaking it. So I was just wondering if someone could do it for me

So I managed to replace the battery in my sonic. During my research someone recommended the battery 360821 which I purchased from aliexpress. It is a 3.7V 50maH lithium battery. It is shorter than the original but looks thicker.

I unscrewed the bottom and puled the old battery out that way. I wish I had reread this thread before doing it as I never thought about unsoldering the wires from the old battery. I cut the battery off and soldered the new battery to the old leads.

Even though it looked thicker it fit back in without any modifications to the plastic casing.

I just finished recharging the new battery and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks a lot. Without your information my sonic would still only hold a charge for only about 10 minutes.

I have gone back through the thread after the repair but have gotten to only page 50 before I had to call it a night.

I only found a current battery that would work and fit with this method. Phez is the one that discovered this much easier method. Props to him!
Yeah, mine wouldn't hold a charge at all. It would only work while plugged into the USB!

I want to give this a go but have a question: from what I've read here you guys are unscrewing the metal butt-cap end of the sonic but a couple of guys on YouTube seem to simply pop off the emitter-end metal piece. The latter looks like it might be an easier method. Have any of you guys tried this?

The metal end piece is clipped in place by the plastic body. You have to put some tool up in there to pry it apart. Most plastics and woods are not strong enough. When you go with something metal you will most likely damage the aluminum end, the plastic body or both.

In the youtube videos I think they had pried off the metal end piece before so it has become easier each time they do it. However I would almost guarantee that they had done some damage to the metal end or plastic body.

I have a second sonic that I purchased as a backup. I went about replacing that battery through the end as before. However when pulling the battery out I yanked a bit too hard and pulled the battery out along with the leads. So I had no choice but to take the metal end cap off.

I tried these plastic tools used to open up electronics and broke most of them. I tried a carved down Popsicle stick and broke that. I finally went with a small flat metal pry tool with masking tape covering it and I still caused a bit of damage to the metal end and body. I was lucky and it is barely noticeable unless I point it out.

You might get lucky and your emitter end might come off easily but I say try with plastic and wood type tools. If you can not easily get it off then go through the screwed on end.

Good job at making a tutorial out of both methods!!! Going forward, that should be the definitive document anyone would need to replace the battery in their Sonic. Excellent. Fantastic!

Very very good tutorial!

Anyone still experience battery death after replacing theirs? I did on mine, prob just got a faulty battery (the replacement process is easy tho).

Anyone know how to fix the USB port that kinda started to crack where it connects to the motherboard? There are like 5 silver connector pieces right under it, mine cracked there once I finished the replacement on the battery, and plugged in the usb first time after closing it all up. Now it won’t charge at all, can’t even check the new battery either now.

Welp, wish me luck gang! I've had this screwdriver since December 2013 and I recently found the battery was toast. I was able to get it open with the only damage being the loss of one of the clips on the main body. Just trying to find a good source for one LiPo battery is proving to be tough though...
PXL_20220527_170411276.MP.jpg

PXL_20220527_170423617.MP.jpg

Welp, wish me luck gang! I've had this screwdriver since December 2013 and I recently found the battery was toast. I was able to get it open with the only damage being the loss of one of the clips on the main body. Just trying to find a good source for one LiPo battery is proving to be tough though...
Uh, did you read the tutorial?
http://www.alexkung1.com/scale/sonic/Sonic02.htm
And the 360821 batteries are all over eBay...

Uh, did you read the tutorial?
http://www.alexkung1.com/scale/sonic/Sonic02.htm
And the 360821 batteries are all over eBay...
Yes I did read the tutorial but my plastic did not separate nearly as far, so getting the battery out through that method would have been next to impossible. As for the battery, I stated that I was having a hard time tracking a good source for one (1) as all the listings I've come across have been lots for 10 or more.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back