New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

Ned Figglehorn

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I got my battery in the mail yesterday and was finally able to swap out the old one. So happy that this thing is working again! Quick and easy swap too, I'll be sure to keep this one charged up more often.

PXL_20220621_003112624.MP.jpg

PXL_20220621_150331188.MP.jpg

GeminiPete69

Hi all, justb re-discovered RPF after being here years and years ago! However I tried replacing my battery before reading any of this using a battery from a BT Headset that fits perfectly but is 350830 60mAh 3.7v - and after repairing the IR does not work! I popped it back apart and examined all the wires and the 3 connectors to the IR blaster look intact, as do their soldering to the main board. The light and sounds work perfect and that at least is a joy to have working again. But I cannot control anything! The Learning Mode works great, but won’t control anything, even the Universal On/Off feature doesnt work.

Does anyone know if it could be the battery? Or is there anyway to figure out if the IR Blaster is working? If I soldered the wrong polarity would everything work okay except the IR (and I just soldered red to red, black to black on the battery)? I really love this device and when I lost my old one (or someone took it?) I was devastated so bought a pricey one from eBay that would only work for about 2 minutes. I can’t remember for sure but I *think* the IR was working prior to my battery swap, but this was one test plugged in when I first got it, if I’m even remembering properly. Can the IR go bad? Or could I damaged it replacing the battery (I was careful with the repair, and dont think I damged any connections or wires, but am worried it may be swapped polarity *if* it would still be working as it is with everything fine except the IR - which I vaguely think I may have read years ago).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I still have one other old broken on (broken on/off switch) as I think I bought 4 of these back in the day, seemed like I would eventually always drop it and break the delicate On/Off button. My last one that I had for years that was lost/stolen was someting I was truly attached to - call it my Linus Blanket <grin> - and was heartbroken when I found Wand Co no longer even makes them and would be a few hundred minimum to buy a broken one on eBay but of course I did. :)

Really really wish Wand Co would do another run…I wonder how many pre orders/deposits/guaranteed buyers they would have to have to do another run? Anyone here know anyone at Wand Co to see if this is even possible? And if so what sort of numbers they would need? Perhaps could do it on a sliding scale - if we get (and these are just rought examples) 1000 people then they would cost $300 for each unit (ie the min cost on eBay for a broken one!), 5,000 people then they would be $200, and so on…anyone think they would do it? How many would be interested?

But for now would also appreciate any suggestions on the IR issue (ie wrong polarity or would that fry the whole unit, wrong battery type, etc etc)?

Thanks in advance and so glad I re-discovered this site! :)

raptor0192

No, the unit would not work at all with the polarity reversed. Depending on the protection they have in place in the circuit, a temporary reverse polarity could damage something. So yes, you could have damaged something if the polarity was ever reversed (again, depending on the circuit topology), and also through static discharge while handling the circuit. Did you ground yourself while touching the electronics? You could have also damaged something physically (an IC, etc.), during disassembly/reassembly.

DracoAdamantus

Just wanted to say thanks to this thread for finding a solution for getting my screwdriver working again! My battery was shot when I pulled it out of storage a few months ago, and this threat lead me to the tutorial that made battery replacement super easy! Especially for someone with very limited skill in actual functioning electronics, I mainly rip apart old circuit boards to scavenge them for greeblies.

Styrofoam_Guy

Hi all, justb re-discovered RPF after being here years and years ago! However I tried replacing my battery before reading any of this using a battery from a BT Headset that fits perfectly but is 350830 60mAh 3.7v - and after repairing the IR does not work! I popped it back apart and examined all the wires and the 3 connectors to the IR blaster look intact, as do their soldering to the main board. The light and sounds work perfect and that at least is a joy to have working again. But I cannot control anything! The Learning Mode works great, but won’t control anything, even the Universal On/Off feature doesnt work.

Does anyone know if it could be the battery? Or is there anyway to figure out if the IR Blaster is working? If I soldered the wrong polarity would everything work okay except the IR (and I just soldered red to red, black to black on the battery)? I really love this device and when I lost my old one (or someone took it?) I was devastated so bought a pricey one from eBay that would only work for about 2 minutes. I can’t remember for sure but I *think* the IR was working prior to my battery swap, but this was one test plugged in when I first got it, if I’m even remembering properly. Can the IR go bad? Or could I damaged it replacing the battery (I was careful with the repair, and dont think I damged any connections or wires, but am worried it may be swapped polarity *if* it would still be working as it is with everything fine except the IR - which I vaguely think I may have read years ago).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I still have one other old broken on (broken on/off switch) as I think I bought 4 of these back in the day, seemed like I would eventually always drop it and break the delicate On/Off button. My last one that I had for years that was lost/stolen was someting I was truly attached to - call it my Linus Blanket <grin> - and was heartbroken when I found Wand Co no longer even makes them and would be a few hundred minimum to buy a broken one on eBay but of course I did. :)

Really really wish Wand Co would do another run…I wonder how many pre orders/deposits/guaranteed buyers they would have to have to do another run? Anyone here know anyone at Wand Co to see if this is even possible? And if so what sort of numbers they would need? Perhaps could do it on a sliding scale - if we get (and these are just rought examples) 1000 people then they would cost $300 for each unit (ie the min cost on eBay for a broken one!), 5,000 people then they would be $200, and so on…anyone think they would do it? How many would be interested?

But for now would also appreciate any suggestions on the IR issue (ie wrong polarity or would that fry the whole unit, wrong battery type, etc etc)?

Thanks in advance and so glad I re-discovered this site! :)
On one of my sonics the LED would stop working every so often. It turned out one of the wires to the LED board in the tip was broken. A little solder got it all fixed.

Although you said you tested the wiring I think one of those wires or solder is broken. Can you temporarily hook up a regular LED to the IR wires? You can then test the IR function and if the LED lights up you know the circuit board is still sending power to the IR.

You can first hook up the LED to the contacts on the circuit board to test there. If it doesn't work there then there is something wrong with the circuit board. If it works there you know the circuit board is sending power.

You can then test the LED at the tip. If it doesn't work then one of the wires is broken. If it does work then the IR emitter maybe broken and you will have to try and find a replacement.

millyae

I just recently found my screwdriver i was gifted in 2013 and remembered my little sister had broken it. Thought i’d give fixing it a go but i’m unsure which wires are connected where, and where the little white piece goes so any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• EC048276-AC0F-4060-BAB1-FA9D226D6991.jpeg
    EC048276-AC0F-4060-BAB1-FA9D226D6991.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • ABBC7812-0F87-451B-A8E4-3B3C28BB3973.jpeg
    ABBC7812-0F87-451B-A8E4-3B3C28BB3973.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 4A06F440-1A90-4664-8DBE-A3ECE73FF8C3.jpeg
    4A06F440-1A90-4664-8DBE-A3ECE73FF8C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 291319DA-BECD-4C9E-84BA-41312F20E7F0.jpeg
    291319DA-BECD-4C9E-84BA-41312F20E7F0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.