New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

Yeah, I thought it was crazy expensive, but as a test shot I wnted to get it quick. Well, I got it now and it kinda works, if not perfect. It's much shorter than the original, and broader.

View attachment 966576

So I first tried if it would fit at all, which it did, even though the plastic would bulge a little. (I went the easy way, unscrewing the metal end piece and prying the little plastic tube open.)

View attachment 966578

So I soldered it in and only then noticed that the little bulging would be a problem after all. I only tried if it would slide with with the plastic tube, but when I screwed the metal end piece back in, sliding became a bit hard. It works, but it's not to great to operate with the thumb.

View attachment 966577

So, I'll leave it like this for now, since it's my backup sonic that already suffered one battery replacement (the hard way, prying off the top, which left quite some marks).
If my other one dies, I'll look for a different battery.
Now that I have done a handful of battery replacements on these I have a thought for you. The battery I’ve been using is twice the capacity but only the slightest bit larger which does cause they’re sliding difficulty you mentioned. To compensate I took 400 grit sandpaper and sanded the gray plastic enclosure after the battery was already in place and it was closed . It took very little sanding to get the sliding action back to normal when I screwed on the end.
This however did send off a black stripe that is partially visible through a slot in the screwdriver body. And easy fix, I just threw it back on with a black magic marker.

I've seen a lot of battery replacements on the Wand Co 10 sonic, and having one of them myself, I figured it would be wise to ask; Does anyone know the actual lifespan on these batteries and why so many are needing replacements?

According to the wand company the original batteries need to get a charge on them a minimum of every 90 days or they will drain out and become useless only working when plugged in . So there you are. The lifespan of that little lithiumOriginal batteryIs many years but only if it gets fully charged regularly. If you put it on a shelf and forget about it, even if you've never opened the package, the battery dies.

I charge mine every 6 months or so, I do the same for the Wand Phaser and Communicator, if I haven't used it. This what Chris and Richard recommended when they were asked about it and so for I have not had any problems.

According to the wand company the original batteries need to get a charge on them a minimum of every 90 days or they will drain out and become useless only working when plugged in . So there you are. The lifespan of that little lithiumOriginal batteryIs many years but only if it gets fully charged regularly. If you put it on a shelf and forget about it, even if you've never opened the package, the battery dies.

Wow, good to know, thank you! I thought it may have been from over use, but I'm glad I asked now.

I don't want to derail the conversation too much from the topic of batteries and upkeep, but is there any official word to what happened to the Wand Company's products? It seems like all their Doctor Who and Star Trek merchandise has gone out of production and their social media has sort of fallen dormant. Do we know the reason for this or was it just due to the expiration of the licenses? I've been absent from all the "prop stuff" for a while, so I apologize if this question was asked and answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a full explanation if there is one.

They only do some many runs on a product before stopping production. I don't know about Doctor Who, I was really hoping for the 12th and 13th Doctors Sonics, but they are still doing Star Trek with the Mood Rock they released last year and that is still in production.

Hey guys, sorry to necro-bump this thread, but I was wondering if anyone still offers a service for battery replacement on their 10th sonic?

I recently acquired one from ebay, and was told by the seller that it needs a new battery. Seeing as how ive never picked up a soldering iron in my life and don't want to risk ruining a very expensive prop, would anyone be willing to take this commission?

If anyone is interested, I'm going to do a batch order for replacement batteries for the Wand Company 10th sonic remote. I'll set up a thread in the project runs section.
Sweet. Already sent you a PM about this but I guess you're a step ahead.

I guess i'll head over to that thread.

I’ve got two of the 10th Sonic and would like someone I could get to replace the batteries. I’m just concerned about shipping them to someone and then end up seeing them on eBay being sold and I’m out of my Sonics.

I have no idea but since there are different numbers and some of them are the same it could be a lot number for either the sonic or the electronics.

Hi everyone, has anyone found a replacement battery that works and fits without any modification?

I did the official battery replacements on behalf of the wand company and as you may know they ran out of replacement batteries which is why that stopped. They did say however if I could ever find a replacement battery that works they’d order some in and we could start up the official replacements again. I don’t believe they charged anything for replacements either so I’m sure that would be great for a lot of people!!

Starting University buried this to the back of my mind but spotted a custom TWC sonic on eBay today which has had the battery replaced and he recommended asking on here!

My first post on the forum so sorry if I’ve repeated anything you’ve all already discussed!!

Robin

At one time I was doing The Replacements quite a bit. I've probably done 8. You can find the correct size replacement batteries on AliExpress.
I never found the exact battery but what I did find is the same size battery with twice the charge capacity! Only a couple dollars each. They arrive in regular mail with no hassles. But it did take quite a few weeks To arrive.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back