Nerf Gun Props? YES!

View attachment 188660

Here's a couple of Dredd Lawgivers I made a month or so ago. Bought two "Air Zone" pistols, molded foam/clay grips and added them to the back of the handles, painted the guns, detailed them then added small clear blue screens to the sides. Planning to install LED displays soon...

Any chance you documented the WIP pics? I've seen those Air Zones before and thought they were pretty close to a Lawgiver. Never seen a WIP on them though.

image.jpg

This was after I bought them, painted them and molded/attached the grips. That's really the only pic I took aside from the finished product.

Any chance you documented the WIP pics? I've seen those Air Zones before and thought they were pretty close to a Lawgiver. Never seen a WIP on them though.

"Jack Harper Rifle" from Oblivion

IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG

Based on a Nerf Stryfe. It is entirely functional and has build specs far superior to a stock gun. Shrouds and optic were fabricated from PVC sheet from pipe unrolled and flattened with a heat gun. Flashlight is not the correct and incredibly costly Oveready, just a cheap Coast direct drive 3xAAA triple LED light with a PVC bezel/mount, in keeping with the low cost nerf nature of the build.

Accuracy is decent. The grip and lower receiver obviously does not match the original Masada-based prop, but it can be thought of as representing a hypothetical 7.62mm version of this rifle, having a straight-cut and longer magwell. A custom 4 round nerf mag is used for the same flush-fit appearance as the 10 rounder in the film. There are also a lot of little details (flash hider diameter, shroud width) that couldn't quite match with the nerf base, but I do think I got something right that others haven't, and that is the shroud height and vent hole geometry which are critical cues to making an OR "look right".

Currently mostly complete, needs paint touchups, sling mounts and graphics.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,358
I feel way outclassed here, but here are a couple of mine.
First Up, there was a Costco 2-pack of Nerf Disc blasters, and I modded one heavily to use for a custom Mando with PVC pipe added, and real leather wraps on the butt-stock:
8923678271_0ce7293714_z.jpg

Then I modded one of these:
8189878957_1f1dbbe22b_n.jpg
in to this:
8576040704_d0ab590f4c_c.jpg8189880967_d8931c5388_c.jpg

"Jack Harper Rifle" from Oblivion

Currently mostly complete, needs paint touchups, sling mounts and graphics.

WOW. Bravo for a first post. I was thinking about making one so I can possibly go to comic con as Jack Harper, but haven't got any clue where to start. Such a nice build, ever thought about doing a write-up? :)

WOW. Bravo for a first post. I was thinking about making one so I can possibly go to comic con as Jack Harper, but haven't got any clue where to start. Such a nice build, ever thought about doing a write-up? :)

Thanks. As to writeups of this, my definite weak point is planning. I can CAD, but I never do. There weren't even any drawings for this of any sort, I do everything in my head and always have. I have no good measurements for parts either. The build was a lot of improvisation and head scratching. Documenting it would more or less need to go with a major overhaul of the design and reduction of eyeballing and custom fitting things.

I started with the base gun, in this case a Nerf Stryfe, and a squared-up framecap from a trailer showing a good side view of the rifle to get measurements, which are of course in pixels and have no conversion factor to absolute distances in the real world. To do that I equated the Stryfe lower receiver's length (front edge of magwell to backstrap, IIRC) to the original Masada lower and scaled all dimensions accordingly which yielded a proportionate, if not quite accurately scaled, result. Used with a real Masada lower (or airsoft replica) it would result in the correct actual size.

The shroud width had to deviate due to the nerf gun underneath. Also, note that the Stryfe is asymmetrical, so the left side of the receiver was shimmed out to match the right, and then the middle layer of the 3-layer shroud structure was built to fit to the result.

The upper shrouds were constructed panel by panel over a form starting with the base layer that covers the top of the stock, then the other two were built over that to match perfectly.

IMG_1317.JPG

All structural bonding and gap filling involved Devcon or Loctite 2 part methacrylate "plastic welder". Be careful with epoxies, which are less forgiving on plastics and are brittle. The lower shroud in the handguard area was thermoformed. My OR does not have perfectly continuous shrouds; the lower shroud is held on with 4 screws and must be removed to strip the gun, though if I was more patient I would have made the seam flush and followed the color line like another builder on here.

The Stryfe receiver has thick PVC blocks built up on the top which are drilled and tapped to accept the middle two screws on top of the shrouds, clamping the gun and shrouds together.

IMG_1431.JPG

The barrel is 2 pieces of scrap Nerf barrel stock spliced together, stiffened with a PVC brace and Devconned into the Stryfe barrel nut which was reamed out to pass the barrel all the way through to the flywheel cage. The flash hider is PVC. The barrel was internally braced to the shrouds after mounting for durability.
IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

More PVC was used for bodywork, fake ejection port, etc. on the Stryfe.

The shroud material was 4" ASTM D3034 sewer pipe available in the US. The thinner material was 3" 2729 drain pipe and some thick PVC sheets were 2" schedule 40 pipe.

IMG_1554.JPG

Before paint...

IMG_1568.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 268
Thanks for sharing the WIP pics, it really helped a lot. Although I'm considering just paint up a Long Strike and be done with it. This looks a bit out of my league. :p

You know what I think? You should gave this its own thread. It's a prop build pure and simple. And a very creative one.

Agreed
Thanks for sharing the WIP pics, it really helped a lot. Although I'm considering just paint up a Long Strike and be done with it. This looks a bit out of my league. :p

You know what I think? You should gave this its own thread. It's a prop build pure and simple. And a very creative one.

Please, I'd also like to see a dedicated OR nerf build so I can recreate your work and have your OR next to the Quest Pulse Rifle.

Glad to see this piece well received. I will definitely post a thread for it very soon, TBH I was reluctant to do that because this thread existed and I didn't know where exactly it belonged being a "90% accurate" sort of nerf build. I have several hundred images of the whole build process that could probably help anyone looking to build their own.

BTW, this is a shooter, not a wall hanger. It's a semi-auto. Just chronographed it around 100fps, will reach out to around 80 feet with a level shot. I don't know if it's usual practice for nerf derived props to be live or if anyone upgrades them in the process.

I normally upgrade/mod the internals of the ones I do if they are for the older/big kids amoung us, but not for the younger kids for obvious reasons, a good paint job alone is usually good enough for them.

Thanks. As to writeups of this, my definite weak point is planning. I can CAD, but I never do. There weren't even any drawings for this of any sort, I do everything in my head and always have. I have no good measurements for parts either. The build was a lot of improvisation and head scratching. Documenting it would more or less need to go with a major overhaul of the design and reduction of eyeballing and custom fitting things.

I started with the base gun, in this case a Nerf Stryfe, and a squared-up framecap from a trailer showing a good side view of the rifle to get measurements, which are of course in pixels and have no conversion factor to absolute distances in the real world. To do that I equated the Stryfe lower receiver's length (front edge of magwell to backstrap, IIRC) to the original Masada lower and scaled all dimensions accordingly which yielded a proportionate, if not quite accurately scaled, result. Used with a real Masada lower (or airsoft replica) it would result in the correct actual size.

The shroud width had to deviate due to the nerf gun underneath. Also, note that the Stryfe is asymmetrical, so the left side of the receiver was shimmed out to match the right, and then the middle layer of the 3-layer shroud structure was built to fit to the result.

The upper shrouds were constructed panel by panel over a form starting with the base layer that covers the top of the stock, then the other two were built over that to match perfectly.

View attachment 193610

All structural bonding and gap filling involved Devcon or Loctite 2 part methacrylate "plastic welder". Be careful with epoxies, which are less forgiving on plastics and are brittle. The lower shroud in the handguard area was thermoformed. My OR does not have perfectly continuous shrouds; the lower shroud is held on with 4 screws and must be removed to strip the gun, though if I was more patient I would have made the seam flush and followed the color line like another builder on here.

The Stryfe receiver has thick PVC blocks built up on the top which are drilled and tapped to accept the middle two screws on top of the shrouds, clamping the gun and shrouds together.

View attachment 193615

The barrel is 2 pieces of scrap Nerf barrel stock spliced together, stiffened with a PVC brace and Devconned into the Stryfe barrel nut which was reamed out to pass the barrel all the way through to the flywheel cage. The flash hider is PVC. The barrel was internally braced to the shrouds after mounting for durability.
View attachment 193608

View attachment 193613

More PVC was used for bodywork, fake ejection port, etc. on the Stryfe.

The shroud material was 4" ASTM D3034 sewer pipe available in the US. The thinner material was 3" 2729 drain pipe and some thick PVC sheets were 2" schedule 40 pipe.

View attachment 193611

Before paint...

View attachment 193612

I am so mind blown with your build. This is incredible....I wanted to build this rifle so badly, now you've made me believe that I can!

I honestly don't think it stacks up very well, compared to some of the amazing mods in this thread, but here's the latest gun I completed. Sucker took me almost 2 months, albeit at only an hour or so a day.
Borderlands themed Nerf Stryfe:
20130622_111156.jpg20130622_111227.jpg20130622_111253.jpg
The collapsible stock was a ***** to get right :/ I think I could have done a much better job painting it too, but oh well.

Attachments

• 20130622_111156.jpg
    20130622_111156.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 264
  • 20130622_111227.jpg
    20130622_111227.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 217
  • 20130622_111253.jpg
    20130622_111253.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 222
Don't sell yourself short, thats a very cool nerf you have there :thumbsup (love the quote by the way, massive Heinlein fan myself ;))

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back