Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by JohnsonArms, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JohnsonArms

JohnsonArms Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hope you guys enjoy the stuff I do. I have a 7 year old so they idea to work on nerf guns just occured to me about 6 months ago. I now have a shop where I work on orders and projects - usually about 5-7 hours a day after work and on weekends. It's never going to make me rich, but if it provides me a fun hobby and some extra cash for the family, I'm a happy man :)

IMG_5666.jpg
    just a little .99 cent toy grenade. I liked the cast and thought it would look cool painted up!
    IMG_5664.jpg
    Auto Pistol Goodness
    IMG_0989.jpg
    WIP - Boba Fett blaster by hasbro 3/4 scale (I need a source for full sized replica casts!)
    IMG_4695.jpg
    Previous Fett blaster I did a while back
    IMG_5648.jpg
    Gasparilla Pirate Fest is coming up this weekend in Tampa. Had to make a few pistols for the event! (Cast resin, no metal)
    IMG_5613.jpg
    Standard issue Stormtrooper Blaster - Hasbro 3/4 scale
    IMG_5592.jpg
    Nerf Longshot - Modded up! :)

Arenaprops, Utri, frasic and 7 others like this.
  2. cybor

cybor New Member

Nice job!!

3. JohnsonArms

A few extras for those interested :)

IMG_5581.jpg
    Triple-shot shotgun from Air Force
    IMG_5525.jpg
    Just a fashion shot outside the shop
    IMG_4938.jpg
    Squirt gun ready for the warm weather (whenever that is..)
    IMG_5417.jpg
    Nerf Element
    IMG_5059.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg
    Big Daddy version of the Nerf Longshot (over 3 ft long!)

Arenaprops, B Wo, MartynVHalm and 2 others like this.
  4. JohnsonArms

Thank you! I appreciate that!

5. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Nice!! I've got to find a pic of my modded Nerf Vulcan cannon... went the mad scientist route with it.

6. JohnsonArms

Yes please! I love seeing other styles on these nerfs :) I'll try to dig up a few of the ones I've done. you might like what I did with the ugly shield that comes with the automatic stampede :)

IMG_5462.jpg
    This was at about 60% done. Cant find the final photos! :)

IMG_4738-1.jpg
    Further back in the project, but a better shot of the shield. Yep, I melted a bullet hole in it, hehe.

Arenaprops, frasic, B Wo and 2 others like this.
  7. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Will have to take better pix... only found a couple.

It was my Freeze Ray for a makeshift last minute Dr. Horrible costume for Halloween.
    Got greeblies and wires and lights all throughout it.

66351_487791353435_649988435_7082603_484267_n.jpg

76987_488946053435_649988435_7113334_4603979_n.jpg

Arenaprops and thorkell85 like this.
  8. JohnsonArms

Very cool! Love the green glow!

9. falken108

falken108 Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of longshots that I did.
    The first one, I didn't really mod too much, however I did body fill every screw hole, and logo.
    Sanded the heck out of the entire thing, and painted it.
    The second one I had a lot of fun with.
    I didn't worry too much about smooth surfaces as I wanted it to look really beat up.
    Scott
    IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/falken108/nerf%20longshot/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Arenaprops and MartynVHalm like this.
  10. breen2057

breen2057 Sr Member

these look so cool great job nice add on of the gunner biochip to the last one

11. cadpaps

cadpaps New Member

These are amazing! I would love to be able to do paint jobs like these... better start practising!

12. baron von blondle

baron von blondle Well-Known Member

really, really cool!!

Respect
    P.

13. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

Amazing what a little paint can do, fantastic job.

14. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

My son just got the Auto! That thing fires so * fast!!!

Great paint jobs! Looks much better than most of the Nerf paint-ups I see.

FB

15. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Exceptional work! I've got a box full of guns (for the grandson of course!) waiting for the time to paint.
    Could you do a tutorial on the weathering you do? It's kick-*!!

16. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow amazing weathering! I would also be interested in learnign to weather like that!

Hammerghast likes this.
  17. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Nice work! I'll have to photograph and post up a few of mine too.

18. Hogosha

Hogosha Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Absolutely amazing paint!

19. DRBJR

DRBJR Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great paint jobs! I especially like the last pic in your first thread that shows the effect from gas escaping the vents. Have you left the screw holes unfilled in order to reassemble after painting?

20. Brucelee42

Brucelee42 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great paint! Any chance that you are going to create or allready have a tutorial of your techniques?

JesperW likes this.
  21. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I love the nerf stuff. I was eyeing the longshot sniper rifle the other day but 40.00 is a bit much right now. These look amazing.

22. Wicked

Wicked Active Member

Fantastic work JA, I've dabbled in these too. If you have a Goodwill Clearance Center near you they're the absolute best source I've found for base. Apparently the regular Goodwill stores won't carry any firearm related toys so they all end up in the clearance centers. In the last year I've picked up:

Longshot - $1 (missing the clip)
    3 Mavericks - $1 each
    Nite Finder - $1
    Firefly - $1

tons of off-brand guns, and a giant laser tag gun for $2. Most of them are in near perfect condition except that they're missing the darts (which I don't use anyway). They have tons of fodder too. I'm probably going to do a barricade next or one of these:
    Amazon.com: Buzz Bee Toys Hunter Bolt Action Rifle with Secret Storage: Toys & Games

23. Fetts.Sobriquet

Fetts.Sobriquet Well-Known Member

Tutorial PLEASE :)

24. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The clearance center here is the main distribution center so they have all the good stuff and ship the crap to the local shops lol. if it wasn't an hour away i'd hit it up.

25. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

dude these are awesome! Ive seen some awesome steam punk ones before too which also look cool.

Hmm i think i have a few nerf guns laying about, might have to try this out!

madron likes this.
  26. Wicked

Wicked Active Member

I can't remember the specific branding, but there's that Kryon spray paint made especially for plastics that works like a dream as a base coat with no priming. I don't think I've ever had to do more than 2 coats of the black, and that was only because I sanded off the Nerf logos.

27. Fetts.Sobriquet

Fetts.Sobriquet Well-Known Member

krylon fusion

28. Wicked

Wicked Active Member

Winnah! :lol

29. Ronster

Ronster Member

If you ever have any extra money, I would suggest investing in vinyl dyes. You can find them in the automotive paints at like, auto-zone or walmart. It's mostly for leather touch-ups, but it works really well for plastics. The dye actually "fuses" with the plastic, instead of layering on top of it.
    Only problem is that it is more expensive and only comes in basic vinyl leather colors (primaries, tans, grays, and black).

30. lunar lord

lunar lord New Member

those are awesome

31. JohnsonArms

"Here are a couple of longshots that I did.
    The first one, I didn't really mod too much, however I did body fill every screw hole, and logo.
    Sanded the heck out of the entire thing, and painted it.
    The second one I had a lot of fun with.
    I didn't worry too much about smooth surfaces as I wanted it to look really beat up.
    Scott"

Great stuff! The last link didnt show, can you fix it so I can see it?

32. JohnsonArms

To be honest, the holes are usually left unfilled because a lot of the people buying them will take them apart to fit thicker springs, remove air restrictors, etc.. It's also more time consuming (as I found out on the Boba Fett blaster) so it reduces the number of guns I can do in a week and it hasn't been a real issue for most of the people buying them. I would always prefer to fill them and if the buyer wants it I just charge for the additional time spent and do it correctly (same goes for removing the nerf logos. I leave them on unless the person requests it. I really detest sanding down the logos!! heh)

33. JohnsonArms

That would be cool to do up a few of their guns. I had about 10 orders this year where the guns were going to be the main Christmas gifts for the recipient. That was the highest of compliments for me and I also have a 7 year old son who really digs them as well. It will make dying of lung poisioning worth while! :)

I will try to put together a video or something like that showing some of the techniques I've "found". I say that in quotes because I've only really been at this for about 6 months and I'm more or less self-taught. I do have an art background, but they never showed a class for "Nerf Painting 101" :)

34. JohnsonArms

I appreciate the advice! I'll go have a look and see if I can handle the cost. I know I'll pick up some to play with, but depending on how much it is, I might not be able to recover the cost if I can't see an increase in price as a result. I will make a few, though, because you have me interested in this idea :) Thanks again!

35. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

Very impressive work. I keep thinking "Those are NERF guns?!?" when I look at the pics.

36. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

JesperW likes this.
  37. JohnsonArms

Great tip! I do live pretty close to the main distribution center for GW in St Petersburg, FL. I've found a few nerf, but I also love all the little bits and pieces you can find in the back.

Make sure you post up your work when you get a chance!

38. JohnsonArms

Twist my arm, will ya? :) I'll do something up soon, promise!

39. Cody1138

Cody1138 Active Member

I love the Nerf designs and I have seen a pile of great paints and mods over the past few years. I have a few WIPs but here is one I did as a cheapo Bat Grapple:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. JohnsonArms

Thanks again to all the folks who posted and also the ones who just lurked by for the pictures :) It's appreciated! Here's a few more from tonight's photo shoot and maybe a few older ones if you guys can stomache it!

[​IMG]
    New logo (1 of 2)
    [​IMG]
    New Logo (2 of 2) More favorite :)
    [​IMG]
    Nerf Recon with Stampede 18rd mag
    [​IMG]
    Another Triple-shot shotgun. Love the look of this one!
    [​IMG]
    One of the tiny nerf guns. This one shoots about 30-40 feet with the air restrictor removed! ;)
    [​IMG]
    Tommy 20 by Buzz Bee
    [​IMG]
    and sometimes I don't paint guns. I do other things...hehe

thorkell85 likes this.
  41. JohnsonArms

Nice and clean! I likes it!

42. JohnsonArms

Ha! I take that as high praise! Isn't there someone who's supposed to beat me up for wasting time painting nerf guns? You guys all seem WAY too nice! ;)

JesperW likes this.
  43. JohnsonArms

Very nice job! Looks heavy!

44. JohnsonArms

Here's an actual airsoft G36. Yeah, the skull is kind of my trademark logo when people want it on a gun :)

[​IMG]

45. RedArc

RedArc Member

woow you do such an awesome paint job :eek

congrats !

46. Wicked

Wicked Active Member

I haven't taken very many pics of the Nerf stuff I've done, but here's a few (I apologize ahead of time for the bad picture quality):
    [​IMG]
    This was my first Mav, wasn't really thrilled with it, but I did find this great little cross with a skeleton climbing on it that fit perfectly on the slide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one has another part to it that I haven't done yet, a glass vial that slides into the hole on the top previously used for a ball hopper. I forget what the brand is, but there's an orange flavored energy drink that comes in a bottle with a great shape and it's perfectly sized to fit in that hole. If I can snap a picture of it sometime I'll post it.

Here's some shots of a couple cheapie toy handguns (with working slide action and sounds) that I started to do for Halloween. You can find them super cheap on Amazon, if anybody wants the model just shoot me a pm and I'll look it up.
    [​IMG]

I did the slides with this Krylon anodized metal paint that I am really enjoying so far. Gives it some great metal shading without all the hassle of painting a base color and then doing a wash over it. If you use it though make sure you shake the hell out of it first or it'll spray like glue.

47. JohnsonArms

Really great job on those! Ya, the picture qualty isn't the best, but it's better than no pictures at all :)

48. JohnsonArms

Thank you!

49. KenKenobi2

KenKenobi2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These all look great!

I love this kind of prop creation. Nothing I saw in this thread couldn't be in a movie. Sand and or putty over the NERF marks and whamo, instant cool-*** movie guns. That's how I really began to love this stuff.

I am inspired now...hmmmm.....

Ken

50. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Nice work guys! Here's a few I did...

Nerf Longshot carbine I made for a Terminator 4 Resistance costume.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Mara Jade hold out pistol I made for my wife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Steampunk pistol I recently made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]