Naval Mine Desk Lamp - WIP

BornKilr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After seeing several WW2 movies featuring naval battles, I decided to make a replica of the iconic naval mines. But rather than being a static prop, I wanted it to have a purpose. So I got the idea to make it a desk accent lamp. The plan is to have 2 mines, suspended from chains at differing lengths, mounted to a base with LED lights inside the mine body, shining through a clear opening in backside.

So far I have just completed the first test on the mine itself. After starting, I realized the proportion of the mine to the contact pins was off, but I finished it anyway just to test the rust look. I'm pretty pleased with that part.

So now I have to get a smaller sphere and try again and to test the chain portion. I've looked around but had no luck finding a small plastic chain. Does anyone know of a source for this? The mine itself is around 5" so it would need to be in that scale. Thanks
20181110_221644_resized.jpg
20181111_195203_resized.jpg
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1332.JPG

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for making very small rivets, approximately 2mm diameter. It needs to be easy to do, as each contact pin has 6-8 rivets each! I've read a drop of glue works. Has anyone tried this?

For the rivets you can get sheets of them that you apply like decals or as some have done use a 50/50 mix of JB Weld and Lacquer thinner applied with a tooth pick.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back