Bandi PG Millennium Falcon, My Turn :) **WIP**

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There are so many amazing builds here on the RPF of this kit. And from what I can see so far, it really is an amazing model kit! This kit is particularly important to me as it's the reason I got into building models which then led to adding 3D printing to my list of tools :)

When this kit was first released in 2017 I pre-ordered it immediately. As it was a Christmas present to myself it sat around for a while before I was able to open it up and check it out. As soon as I unboxed it I realized that I had no idea what I was doing or how to paint a model of this quality. It's a pretty expensive kit so I wanted to hold off and elevate my skills to the point where I was confident that I could take this on. Of course, I had no idea that this would lead me to where it did, all of which is pretty much outlined here on the forums :)

Long story short, I feel that I am finally ready so it's time to dive in! Much like my recently completed Star Destroyer, I plan to knock this thing out as fast as possible. I know this kit can literally take years but I want to get this model done and move on to my next project (one of those is actually a second one of these kits as I have two and will be the largest project I have ever attempted. I hope to start that in the fall).

I will be adding a few small things to this kit:
  1. Photo-etched parts (some were included in the kit, others are add-ons).
  2. Adding pretty much every documented light I can find :)
  3. 3D printed wall mount.
  4. Archive-X paints

The first step, get organized! I am finding more and more that small things like getting everything laid out, labeling things clearly, and having a drawn up plan on things like the base and how to attack any extras really helps to speed up the build.

IMG_20230604_133457542.jpg

IMG_20230605_220059866.jpg

Here are some of the extras, a bunch of LED's and the photo-etched parts.

IMG_20230610_223015797.jpg

Since there are so many other amazing builds I am not going to document every step, just the 'interesting' parts.

Firs up is to get the cockpit out of the way. This is an area where I still need a ton of practice. I decided to forgo the decals (other than the one which came with the photo-etched part) and just dry brush a bit. The way this is going to be mounted, you will not see a ton of it. In my next iteration I plan to add some fiver optics to the back and see how that looks, but for now this is what I came up with.

IMG_20230624_200121721_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230624_195952770_HDR.jpg

Here is the 3D-printed wall mount which has provisions for a pass-through plug. I know that the center hole is meant for a specific type/size of nut (maybe related to a Panavise?). If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it. I got the file years ago and I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere...

IMG_20230612_204152229.jpg

IMG_20230612_194029889.jpg

IMG_20230612_194020710.jpg

Now that I finally have what I would consider a 'real' soldering iron, making the lights and getting everything connected up has become so much easier!

IMG_20230624_210754975.jpg

IMG_20230624_213302999.jpg

IMG_20230625_001023101.jpg

I am thinking about patining the top and bottom of these difusers to help with light blocking.

IMG_20230611_155757224.jpg

This is with just a single row installed:

IMG_20230611_155834648.jpg

Good start so far and good luck with everything.
Lot of Falcon builds out there, some of these guys have set the bar very high.
When I joined here in November 2013, my skills were just barely good enough to put a kit together correctly, painting was basic, and scratch building was using cardboard and paper.
I've learned so much while here and am very grateful to everyone who has helped.

That looks like Lab 's printed bracket.

This page may also be useful:

This page may also be useful:

Thanks! Ha, all this time and it came from the RPF :)

Thanks again, I was looking all over for that info, I was able to finally order the right insert.

Good start so far and good luck with everything.
Lot of Falcon builds out there, some of these guys have set the bar very high.
When I joined here in November 2013, my skills were just barely good enough to put a kit together correctly, painting was basic, and scratch building was using cardboard and paper.
I've learned so much while here and am very grateful to everyone who has helped.

Agreed on all points, thanks!

This is going to be awesome! Something that I did to light-block off the mandibles on mine was to use some blue tack putty like this:

falcon1.jpeg

falcon2.jpeg

Once it's shoved in there good you really can't see it at all. Especially once painted. Have fun with it!

SB

This is going to be awesome! Something that I did to light-block off the mandibles on mine was to use some blue tack putty like this:

Once it's shoved in there good you really can't see it at all. Especially once painted. Have fun with it!

SB
Sweet, thanks for the tip! And I sure hope so :)

Time to finish up getting this build so I can get to what I really want to do, paint!

The cockpit is done and all sealed up. The only thing I am worse at than the cockpit, is painting microscopic figures :)

IMG_20230703_155905903.jpg

IMG_20230703_120700731.jpg

IMG_20230703_163139615.jpg

Decided to run some fiber optics for the upper gun well. I also plan to run some light below it to light it up. Of course, you can't tell in the pic, but the red, blue, and white LEDs are slow flashers which gave it a bit of 'life'.

IMG_20230628_211521093.jpg

As this model (from my research anyway) appears to mostly be based on A New Hope, I went pretty loose with the landing lights as I didn't see them on that version. The smaller and larger landing lights, along with the red lights appear to be something added for Empire. I decided to just run the outer landing lights and then fiber optics for the red lights.

Keeping that in mind, I did not kill myself trying to get them all in the exact same spot. The largest issue I had with the LED's out more toward the edge was room for them so I brought them in a bit to make them easier to install (plus this will allow me to install them after final paint).

These photo-etch parts were a bit of a pain, I am really having an issue getting them to stick. I really hate CA glue as it just seems so brittle. I did get some better BSI flexible CA to see if that helps. I found that the E6000 was my best bet here. If you have any glue you love for photo-etch please let me know as I plan to use it a lot in some upcoming builds.

IMG_20230625_185440199_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230625_221012447.jpg

IMG_20230702_151507099.jpg

IMG_20230702_151516165.jpg

IMG_20230702_151604873.jpg

I was finally able to get this mounted up as it's about 90% built. I just need to add some of the final outer most details which seem so delicate. To help with not touching the kit I broke out my WIP mount that I use for primer and paint. Seems to hold it pretty well and will help lessen the chances of breaking off the tiny deails.

IMG_20230628_203508973.jpg

IMG_20230703_134257812.jpg

IMG_20230703_134312314.jpg

Rite on making me feel the same way, I got to much going on rite now but it may be in the cards just to go on and get one. Also You are doing a super job nice model building just how good are those cutting matts been wanting one but I would mess it up the way I work Nice job so far can't wait to see more of this build thanks for sharing

awww man.... You're making me want to build another one!

SB

Ha, for sure! And you were right, it's a ton of fun to build. In my head, I thought it would be a huge laborious undertaking, but as usual, it's so well-engineered it's pretty much like a lego kit. This one is going on the wall, but I have a second one that I plan to put into a huge diorama with a lot more detailed interior.

Rite on making me feel the same way, I got to much going on rite now but it may be in the cards just to go on and get one. Also You are doing a super job nice model building just how good are those cutting matts been wanting one but I would mess it up the way I work Nice job so far can't wait to see more of this build thanks for sharing

Thanks! The matt is amazing, it's literally indestructible and does a fantastic job of protecting my table surface.

Ha, for sure! And you were right, it's a ton of fun to build. In my head, I thought it would be a huge laborious undertaking, but as usual, it's so well-engineered it's pretty much like a lego kit. This one is going on the wall, but I have a second one that I plan to put into a huge diorama with a lot more detailed interior.

Thanks! The matt is amazing, it's literally indestructible and does a fantastic job of protecting my table surface.
I think I might be getting me one ever seen my work benches to many but I do have one or two model building benches one area is where the viper is being built which I just finished Thanks I will be following your build with excitement looking very cool and you are doing it up rite Thanks Jim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back