My PKD Bladerunner pistol build.

Stunt casting photos presented for comparison. That subtle doming of the screw’s head seems to be tricky to match.

EC72A014-D890-4FD9-9ED1-6050A1886B98.jpeg
9B1C6C73-4CF0-48B6-B2F3-C26828FBFB3E.jpeg
4BF08423-4B4B-4754-B511-5E36D5082E66.jpeg

Been looking at nylon screws instead of metal. This would allow for some subtle sanding/puttying/reshaping, if necessary, and plastic would be easier for that than working with metal.

This one looks pretty good. Trying to find the right screw head diameter. The various metal screws I’ve already tried have varied slightly.

Been looking at nylon screws instead of metal. This would allow for some subtle sanding/puttying/reshaping, if necessary, and plastic would be easier for that than working with metal.

This one looks pretty good. Trying to find the right screw head diameter. The various metal screws I’ve already tried have varied slightly.

For anyone in the UK, this is the one I eventually plumped for, having decided that I'd go for the movie appearance and the slotted screw.

From a quick dry assembly, it seems to fit pretty well as far as diameter goes, looks accurate, and will just require a larger diameter hole making in the cylinder shroud to allow the shaft to fit into it properly (I went with the shortest length - 1/2"). The head depth/thickness seems about right. Fingers crossed.

Frankly, I’m surprised to see that so many builds use the Weaver knob, and that it’s become the default part, considering that there is absolutely no evidence that it was ever used during filming, or when it was even added to the prop. And then the Weaver knob was canonized when the prop was recreated for 2049. Sure, it looks neat, but that’s not what the original prop looked like.

I would hope that future iterations of the Anders model include both the screw and the Weaver knob (much like the Tomenosuke does) to give builders the option.

I suspect it's because the most authoritative reference source for the PKD, at least since the early noughties, has been the 'Worldcon photos', in which, of course, the gun has the weaver knob.
Indeed...someone put it there to make it more "Sci-Fi" looking. I mean, really...a slotted screw in the year 2019:p:p Yep, I'm a fan of the slotted screw and I'll stick to it!! As I said before, seems to me that it came directly from the Steyr also.

I suspect it's because the most authoritative reference source for the PKD, at least since the early noughties, has been the 'Worldcon photos', in which, of course, the gun has the weaver knob.

Of course. But it’s not as if people didn’t know about the slotted screw long before that, and had only accidentally assumed, post-WorldCon photos, that the Weaver knob had been there all along.

No value judgment in this, or anything, but I tend to view Weaver knob builds as akin to replicating the Ranch/Archive version of Luke’s ESB saber, with the textured clamp tape and one red button. It’s a little strange to replicate the post-production version of a prop which is quantifiably different than the screenused version (unless that’s what one is specifically aiming for, of course). Sure, the missing button and textured tape have their aesthetic value, but that’s not what it looked like in the movie.

Plenty of screencaps and photos prove that the screenused blasters (hero and stunt) had the screw, so it just seems a little odd to me. I mean, your average prop enthusiast would surely want to replicate the prop as actually seen in the film, right?

Again, not judging. Just contemplating the philosophy of prop-replicating!

Indeed...someone put it there to make it more "Sci-Fi" looking. I mean, really...a slotted screw in the year 2019:p:p Yep, I'm a fan of the slotted screw and I'll stick to it!! As I said before, seems to me that it came directly from the Steyr also.

As I noted, awhile back, I dig the screw. It adds a retro-quality to the prop, which fits the aesthetic of the rest of the film. Future tech retrofitted onto old cars, buildings, etc. A sleek, futuristic gun with LEDs and translucent grips…and an old-style bolt/lever and big, slotted screw.

Yeah, that’s not normal. Gotta be defective resin, or something. I can’t imagine you’re being so rough with the parts as to cause all of these problems. I’ve filled, drilled, and re-tapped several of the screw holes on mine a few times, and have had no problem with parts (especially thick parts like the frame) breaking so badly.

Meanwhile, my replacement cylinder switch from TipTop arrived…and then broke in exactly the same way as the first when I was gluing on the switch arm. Fortunately, TipTop was kind enough to include a bonus pewter casting of the part, which certainly won’t be as fragile as the resin one. Crisis averted.

And I ordered some of the micro-switches wayouteast recommended.

I also sanded, primed, and tapped the replacement cylinder cover, and fitted it to the rest of the gun. Still needs a bit of work to fill some pinholes and whatnot.

And, ironically, until I sort out the screw situation, the Weaver knob now sits in its place!

Last edited:
robotprops, buddy, I'm right there with ya.

I was working on testing the new cylinder release switch when the cylinder swing arm SNAPPED IN TWO. The weight of the dummy rounds and the stress of trying to pop out the cylinder was too much for the resin.

I sent an inquiry to TipTop about a pewter replacement, but I could also have one printed in hard plastic or maybe even steel, if necessary.

Oh! That’s nasty. I feel for you.
Good to know where the weaknesses are.
I did purchase the pewter parts upgrade package that I’m waiting for and it includes a crane.
I started base coat painting the side covers, upper receiver, and ammo housing while waiting for epoxy to cure on the Bulldog frame.
Finished up the grip frame and butt plate. It’s gonna be a shame to paint it.
8681E367-CAAD-41F8-A59B-9F6E303150C8.jpeg

1248B7F6-A2D6-4171-9A27-CC99D8FC33D5.jpeg

In a shipping mix up the good folks at Tip Top sent my pewter sight rod to someone else. They’re resending that and a new pistol frame and bolt (that broke too)
I’ve started painting the side covers and ammo housing while I wait.
I got the triggers mounted with springs for a nice action.
I was thinking of making the trigger guard out of aluminum, but I prefer the patina of blued steel so I’ll take a shot at that.

Attachments

• 63DEF700-F742-4117-A889-BD84A835730A.jpeg
    63DEF700-F742-4117-A889-BD84A835730A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 86
  • BB6C3586-4E13-4812-A795-7E31A5E73E36.jpeg
    BB6C3586-4E13-4812-A795-7E31A5E73E36.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
In a shipping mix up the good folks at Tip Top sent my pewter sight rod to someone else. They’re resending that and a new grip frame and bolt (that broke too)
I’ve started painting the side covers and ammo housing while I wait.
I got the triggers mounted with springs for a nice action.
I was thinking of making the trigger guard out of aluminum, but I prefer the patina of blued steel so I’ll take a shot at that.

Meanwhile, I received my pewter sight rod and binding post from TipTop, as well as their acrylic display stand.

Haven't gotten a response about replacement pewter cylinder arm parts. Perhaps they're just busy, or are just offering them in their new pewter parts pack. I may end up having the parts printed in steel by Shapeways. My only real concern would be how easy it'll be to tap the screw holes.

Depending on how the steel parts turn out, I could very well get bitten by the bug to start replacing ALL of the parts with metal.

But, then, it'd be better to just get a Tomenosuke.

It can be hard to know where to draw the line. Why buy a resin kit if you’re only going to use a couple pieces?
For me, I like the process of making the parts and the look and weight of the finished piece really drive it home.
I dropped the idea of using a steel cylinder. There would be too many alterations to make it work right. So on my build, the parts of the kit that would be metal that I’m not replacing are the upper receiver and bolt, the pistol frame and the cylinder.
With a metal barrel and grip frame, the balance will still be nice.

A Tomenosuke is always a nice addition to the collection though.

I’m content for now with a handful of metal parts—the binding post, slotted screw, sight rod, Bulldog mainspring, and the cylinder swing arm and switch. The latter being necessary in metal for rigidity/strength of the moving parts.

The dummy rounds I’m using also add nice weight to the piece.

Someday, it would be fun to get a Tomenosuke, but, if this build ends up being my final/only statement on the prop, then at least I can be happy with it. I’ve loved BLADE RUNNER for many years, but I’m not super-obsessed with the props and whatnot like so many others are. The past few months’ worth of crash-course on the blaster have been great fun.

I’ve had great success over the past few years checking off builds of iconic sci-fi weapons—multiple lightsabers, Han Solo’s blaster, TOS phasers, Green Lantern rings, etc. Even before I ever actually saw BLADE RUNNER, I saw photos of Harrison Ford holding that gun, and knew that it was truly awesome. A thing of beauty. A gold-standard for sci-fi weapons.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back