mpp

Indeed. But while it looks worlds better than most crappy bootleg stuff, it isn´t sanitized enough as some were hoping for, unfortunately, way still to wonky.

Then you have weirdos like me who find the zen in building. I could give a crap about a Lucasfilm stamp, or even being 100% screen accurate. I'm more interested in making things. The creativity behind world building fascinates me, and recreating pieces of my favorite worlds from when I was a kid is like therapy, meditation, and training all at the same time.

I hope so. I'll do my best, but I don't know for sure if I can get them :(

So there will be more shrouds? I have some money with your name on it in that case ;)
No matter if it's tomorrow or three years from now :p

One saber to rule them all.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you have weirdos like me who find the zen in building. I could give a crap about a Lucasfilm stamp, or even being 100% screen accurate. I'm more interested in making things. The creativity behind world building fascinates me, and recreating pieces of my favorite worlds from when I was a kid is like therapy, meditation, and training all at the same time.

It's all about creative outlet. What most people would consider boring as hell, some consider a "creative outlet" and a must in some ways. I have heard song writers talk about song writing as being a type of therapy :thumbsup

"Whatever floats your boat" :)

but it's licensed!!!

For some that´s a valid point, as for other some lineage may be important.

To me both for their own means nothing. Not a license to sell merchandise, and also not a lineage to some cheap made stuff just made to look OK on screens that time.

The same with ready bought fanmade stuff as some like to buy from runs. If it´s nothing i made myself in complete or part assembling (or at least altered it in a way more than just weathering), it´s not much worth for me. Maybe still put on display, but nothing like a "real" prop i made from vintage parts.

And all of them need at first to please my eye, and the imagination (how things should look in the SW universe) that i have grown with the movies and hundreds of books in close to 40 years.

For some that´s a valid point, as for other some lineage may be important.

To me both for their own means nothing. Not a license to sell merchandise, and also not a lineage to some cheap made stuff just made to look OK on screens that time.

The same with ready bought fanmade stuff as some like to buy from runs. If it´s nothing i made myself in complete or part assembling (or at least altered it in a way more than just weathering), it´s not much worth for me. Maybe still put on display, but nothing like a "real" prop i made from vintage parts.

And all of them need at first to please my eye, and the imagination (how things should look in the SW universe) that i have grown with the movies and hundreds of books in close to 40 years.

I agree. I would prefer to use original parts when at all possible, but of course that's nearly impossible 95% of the time due to the costs and availability. The other part is that, in the case of stormtrooper armor, not everyone can "wear" it. I will never ever wear a set derrived from an original suit just simply because I'm 6'7" and it would beyond stupid for me to even try.

As for getting kits or whatever from fans, I don't mind buying something if I don't necessarily have the strong desire to finish a prop, especially if I can get it at a reasonable price already completed. However, for example, my first stormtrooper helmet was a Gino V2 and needed to be assembled and painted. I thought it would be neat to replicate the originals, to an extent, seeing as it was my first time putting one together. I never hand painted a prop outside of weathering before, but I was happy with how it turned out and now know how to do it again if I so choose. The novelty, is that it's originated from a screen used helmet but I've had my own hand in "completing" it.

The only part I keep coming back to is yes, I get the lisence being more attractive to most and they don't care or have interest in true and accurate parts. But why are these parts still climbing to out of control prices. I'm seeing not even close to star wars flash guns selling for more money. If someone labels the flash gun star wars, up goes the final sales price.

So there will be more shrouds? I have some money with your name on it in that case ;)
No matter if it's tomorrow or three years from now :p

One saber to rule them all.

- - - Updated - - -

It's all about creative outlet. What most people would consider boring as hell, some consider a "creative outlet" and a must in some ways. I have heard song writers talk about song writing as being a type of therapy :thumbsup

"Whatever floats your boat" :)

My day job is actually creative, I'm very lucky. But it's writing and doesn't require working with my hands, (aside from typing). I find that building, working with tools, and painting are pretty essential to me using different parts of my brain. Building lightsabers and painting Nerf guns both stimulates and shuts off different parts of the brain and usually helps me work fresh later.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a license discussion, sorry. I was just wondering why replicas made from original parts take a back seat to mass produced copies. For me I prefer to build but that's who I am. Anyone can buy something but not everyone (even though I believe anyone is capable )can make something.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back